Jump to content
Game-Labs Forum

Recommended Posts

The timer is too short. If you sink something upwind of you in a lineship, by the time you get tacked around the ship has sunk and you get no loot. You did the work you should get the loot when you get a kill. Loot should be automatically deposited in your hold imo, but if not it should be there no matter how long it takes you to get there. No reason for this kind of time wastin mechanic. It also encourages people to enter battles in basic cutters and steal from the people doing all the work. 

Edited by Malachy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, Malachy said:

It also encourages people to enter battles in basic cutters and steal from the people doing all the work. 

This is quite another problem. Why should the first one at a sunken ship get all the loot? It should be divided between all participants or give at least the participants a kind of voting mechanic (maybe by announcing demand of sth) so that all participants have the option to be rewarded by the loot.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Malachy said:

The timer is too short. If you sink something upwind of you in a lineship, by the time you get tacked around the ship has sunk and you get no loot. You did the work you should get the loot when you get a kill. Loot should be automatically deposited in your hold imo, but if not it should be there no matter how long it takes you to get there. No reason for this kind of time wastin mechanic. It also encourages people to enter battles in basic cutters and steal from the people doing all the work. 

Loot timers have been increased multiple times now. If you stay right behind a ship with battle sails you won't ever miss their loot.

People stealing your loot is a nation/clan issue, not a mechanics one.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Malachy said:

The timer is too short. If you sink something upwind of you in a lineship, by the time you get tacked around the ship has sunk and you get no loot.

I certainly agree. Even in a faster ship like a Surprise, if you overshoot and have to turn across the wind, the ship sinks before you can get into looting position.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Slim Jimmerson said:

Loot timers have been increased multiple times now. If you stay right behind a ship with battle sails you won't ever miss their loot.

People stealing your loot is a nation/clan issue, not a mechanics one.

Try that in 1st rates, smart-ass. Especially going in battle sails put you in a high risk of getting boarded too.

We should have small boats launched for looting ship wrecks. 

The_Battle_of_Trafalgar_by_William_Clark

5c453f11168bf8ca93ba942d1e9294fd.jpg

 

Edited by Peter Goldman

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Peter Goldman said:

Try that in 1st rates, smart-ass. Especially going in battle sails put you in a high risk of getting boarded too.        

its called board prep + disengage. Thats IF you let yourself get that close and slow. AI also won't board if you have the crew advantage.

Edited by Slim Jimmerson

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Slim Jimmerson said:

its called board prep + disengage. Thats IF you let yourself get that close. AI also won't board if you have the crew advantage.

Seems like you never actually got boarded in 1st rate by another 1st rate. A ship full of marines and boarding modes will kill you in 1-4 rounds before you even manage to disengage. Have you ever sailed a 1st rate? By the sound of what you write, probably not. I am speaking mostly about Santissima and L'Ocean.

Edited by Peter Goldman

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Peter Goldman said:

Seems like you never actually got boarded in 1st rate by another 1st rate. A ship full of marines and boarding modes will kill you in 1-4 rounds before you even manage to disengage. Have you ever sailed a 1st rate? By the sound of what you write, probably not. I am speaking mostly about Santissima and L'Ocean.

Are we talking about AI or players here? Disengage is 40 prep and repeated brace/defense will protect you long enough for 4 rounds, heck I've survived 4 rounds on 1 morale.

Keep in mind, all this only matters IF you for some reason have less crew than the ship you've nearly sunk and weren't able to drop sails to keep theship ahead of you while it sunk

Edited by Slim Jimmerson

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Slim Jimmerson said:

Occasionally missing a loot drop is hardly a "real problem"

Occasionally in real PvP most of the time there is no time to spend a couple of minutes trying to loot a ship as you got lots of hostiles and enemies around you. Also, remember that for SOLs it takes a couple of minutes to make a full turn and sail upwind to the wreck... How realistic in your opinion is a 1st rate looting other ships? Normally it would send small boats for looting. Thinking is not hard, pull out a little...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Peter Goldman said:

Occasionally in real PvP most of the time there is no time to spend a couple of minutes trying to loot a ship as you got lots of hostiles and enemies around you. Also, remember that for SOLs it takes a couple of minutes to make a full turn and sail upwind to the wreck... How realistic in your opinion is a 1st rate looting other ships? Normally it would send small boats for looting. Thinking is not hard, pull out a little...

Think about this. The boats are there, they just aren't modeled. You have to get as close as the ships in your picture to loot. Things that are inside the hull, like modules, repairs, and skill books are lost with the ship.

Under normal circumstance, no captain would send crew out boats in the midst of battle to try to salvage a tiny amount of items of a sinking ship by them selves.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Peter Goldman said:

Occasionally in real PvP most of the time there is no time to spend a couple of minutes trying to loot a ship as you got lots of hostiles and enemies around you. Also, remember that for SOLs it takes a couple of minutes to make a full turn and sail upwind to the wreck... How realistic in your opinion is a 1st rate looting other ships? Normally it would send small boats for looting. Thinking is not hard, pull out a little...

By time you get them small boats out and send them the ship would be sunk any way.  You want to loot ships while in a 1st rate get some noob to come along and do all the looting for you while you sink ships or stay at the side of the ship as you sink it.   IF your worried about boarding than make sure you have more crew or keep your speed up until it sinks.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Peter Goldman said:

Try that in 1st rates, smart-ass. Especially going in battle sails put you in a high risk of getting boarded too.

 

 

Well that is a game mechanics issue.  Battle sails should have a use.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

While it's frustrating to watch the ship sink just before you can loot it, I don't think the the game would be better if it were automatic.  It's about right the way it is.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Mear O'Breannen said:

I think it would make the game a lot better if u dont have to wast time to fore sailing to the wracks and loot it in time. Even if u have more enemeys its a lot of risk to loot, while u are under fire. Its still a Computer game, so i give a hello kitty on realism ... give us back the old loot and capture screen at the end of the battle. Thx. By the way there is a term in software development its called usebilitiy ...

 

I don't think I can agree with this.  I don't see a lack of usability here.  This game forces prior planning in many aspects of it, and I feel this is one of them.  Just my opinion.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There is realism and then there is pointless frustration and artificial time sinks. This falls into the latter category. We've got enough time sinks and frustration builders as it is. There is absolutely no need for this particular one.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/25/2017 at 11:31 AM, Malachy said:

. It also encourages people to enter battles in basic cutters and steal from the people doing all the work. 

Just sink them... Devs a while back granted an exception to Green on Green rules if someone not in your group tries to steal your loot....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Biggest issue is how fast ships sink... It should take 15-20 mins minimum for a wooden ship to sink from normal damage.... Add in that in a real world most of the ships would strike their colors and surrender well before it was an issue....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

ship looting is not worth the time you must spend to get to the sinking ship as those allways go close hauled (if they can) or head to wind. thus makes it nearly imposible to get to the sinking ship in time. when the DEVs think that they must fool the People here in game then I dont know what will come next ..........

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1.9.2017 at 11:38 PM, CaptVonGunn said:

Biggest issue is how fast ships sink...

BTW: what is the exact reason behind the timer? Why should an AI ship not strike colours when damage on structure is below 25%? It would save a lot of time for the players ...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Maybe a mechanic like in x3 could be a good idea.

You were able to send drones (small boats here) to retrieve containers in space (could be floating debris in Naval Action).

Maybe clicking could give informations on it (is it a chest or a barrel?) so you have an idea of what loot can be in it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×