Game-Labs Forum

What's missing: Story Content

Well, not only did they manage to stitch together an acceptable UI in Sid Meier's Pirates, but it took you a few good screens to hold you for days (and you haven't seen the C64 version yet). If your story content is good, people will settle with a lot less.

A Tavern! (someone who listens to you)

34835-sid-meier-s-pirates-amiga-screenshot-visiting-a-local-tavern.gif.fc520ec6bfbed7626d439a13d883ed73.gif

Rowdy Men!

34852-sid-meier-s-pirates-amiga-screenshot-that-was-easy.gif.cc57148e6ee268a304c035cbc9a1e3e1.gif

A Career! (write your own story, purpose)

pirates-3.jpg.3d7fa61f56d4a9a6b3e111b308a34119.jpg

Acknowledgement! (rewards!)

hqdefault.jpg.f9fee0078ce3e790a2703e41ec6d2bfc.jpg

A Treasure! (adventure)

438679-sid-meier-s-pirates-amiga-screenshot-one-eyed-willy-wants.gif.3bf99f70a630a95c25bc29d57e12a3b4.gif

Romance! (a love interest)

282895-sid-meier-s-pirates-amiga-screenshot-meeting-with-the-governor.jpg.612db19ecbcf42d68c22b7658c4bfa75.jpg

Places! (with a history)

Pirates!_2.png

Edited by Jean de la Rochelle

Best game I ever played, then again it was bloody years ago.

its the little things that immerse you, if you cap a ship from another player in NA it's just another ship, imagine a ship with a name, a paint, a history with previous vessels sunk, 45 British , 18 swedes etc that's how you would bring meaning to something that's a ship you would post in global.

Pirates didn t have that but it had so many touches like that.

Lost myself in it for years as a young lad.

• Like 3

its the little things that immerse you, if you cap a ship from another player in NA it's just another ship, imagine a ship with a name, a paint, a history with previous vessels sunk, 45 British , 18 swedes etc that's how you would bring meaning to something that's a ship you would post in global.

Exactly, I agree. It would be so much worth if you could name your ship. Imagine there would be a notch in the guardrail for every ship that has been sunk. Maybe you have a logbook for each ship, recording its history. It's all those little details that bring a story to life.

So much more technical possibilities nowadays.

Yes, I played Pirates for a very  long time. Even brought my father to play it so we exchanged information on when and where you could find the Treasure Fleet and the Silver Train. Very fond memories and probably one of the best gaming experience I ever had.

There is so much incredible potential in Naval Action, the combat system is so very well done and the Caribbean and the ships look marvelous. To me it often feels like an beautiful empty world that is just waiting to be populated with stories.

typos
  • Like 2

Forget the career.  I made a suggestion on that quite a while ago, in detail, which I thought would provide quite a bit of immersion without destroying any existing gameplay.  The devs said it would be too hard for them to implement it.  Based on nothing but heresay from other titles never mentioned.  It was never given another look.  So again, forget the career.  I would play the game for a much longer time if I had characters with careers.

Edited by Jean Ribault
  • Like 2

Forget the career.  I made a suggestion on that quite a while ago, in detail, which I thought would provide quite a bit of immersion without destroying any existing gameplay.  The devs said it would be too hard for them to implement it.

Yeah, I really don't have a clue about the technical aspects. I always assume that when you simulate sea, sky and weather so well, simple things like a little storytelling shouldn't be so hard. But maybe it's easier to make something look good than have good ideas.  Following that thought probably will lead us plunging off into the philosophic debate of superficiality vs inner values and how that relates to modern times and so forth ... ;):)

Well I sure wish there was a career for captains in the game.  So you start this game, you have no career path, and there's no end game either (at least currently).  No one really likes the idea of plodding along without purpose, and gaining XP and gold over time is no end game, it's just a byproduct of what should be some sort of endgame.  This has been pointed out multiple times to the development team, but I don't think they tie this to player loss.  To some degree I do.  When people say they are "bored", I tie those kinds of statements to this whole lack of purpose.

• Like 2

No one really likes the idea of plodding along without purpose, and gaining XP and gold over time is no end game, it's just a byproduct of what should be some sort of endgame. 

I concur. All up for careers. A detail would be the possibility of opening up your own logbook. Right now when I lose a ship I don't even know anymore what its configuration was. Any sort of climax is missing (no treasures to be found, no cities to be raided, no governors congratulating you on your title, no estate waiting for me back home). Any great game has a beginning and an end. At best, the game is so good, that you want to have a new beginning after the end.

1 hour ago, Jean Ribault said:

When people say they are "bored", I tie those kinds of statements to this whole lack of purpose.

Yes. The game is on its way to becoming a purpose in itself.  All the nice graphics and excellent combat mechanics should serve to transport a story. All the trading you do and all the fighting are just stepping stones on a career path. One that is being written by the player himself. If your only prospect is to sail mindlessly between cities for the rest of the game (your life), every sane person does right by uninstalling.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jean de la Rochelle said:

I concur. All up for careers. A detail would be the possibility of opening up your own logbook. Right now when I lose a ship I don't even know anymore what its configuration was. Any sort of climax is missing (no treasures to be found, no cities to be raided, no governors congratulating you on your title, no estate waiting for me back home). Any great game has a beginning and an end. At best, the game is so good, that you want to have a new beginning after the end.

Yes. The game is on its way to becoming a purpose in itself.  All the nice graphics and excellent combat mechanics should serve to transport a story. All the trading you do and all the fighting are just stepping stones on a career path. One that is being written by the player himself. If your only prospect is to sail mindlessly between cities for the rest of the game (your life), every sane person does right by uninstalling.

Agreed.  Game has changed a bit since then, but the concept is still a working start.

Edited by Jean Ribault

I think that the Devs do not need to create the story for the players.   In an MMO the players can create an intricate saga for themselves.

But players need tools and a little help creating goals.

The tools that would help with depth in game include ship's names, ship history or a ship's log.   The lack of names and history for ships is disappointing.   Who ever heard of a ship without a name?  Buying or capping a ship and reading a rich history or ships log that is attached to the ship would be fascinating.

Goals might include titles, medals, rare  treasures like unique jewels.  Title could be bestowed for performance or by vote by other players.  Medals seem trite but they do create incentive and provide a target for some players.  The rare treasures could be used as gifts or rewards from one player to another.  Rare treasures might be one of a kind and can not be a players possession like gold or xp but would be at risk of loss in a hold or warehouse.  The quest or search for a rare treasure can create a story by itself.

• Like 1

Ships customisation is definitly not a priority, we know we will have some with the already tested paints, maybe names will come later, bow figure ? who know ? But definitly not now as this don't improve the gameplay in any way.

There have been talks about chain of missions for the future when they removed admiralty missions past a certain grade, this could be the start of some story content and kind of career. Also, it may be dificult for them to work on story content while lacking any sort of UI, so this may be for after the UI patch or simply after the release.

Or maybe they don't have the people knowing how to do such thing, remember that they just promised an open world sandbox, not an adventure game, i think they were just expecting to deliver a kind of "altis life sandbox" where people are dropped on a map, can buy craft and trade stuf and shoot each others, letting the communities organise by themselves. 

Anyway, story content would be great of course.

Edited by Baptiste Gallouédec

1 hour ago, Rychu Karas said:

You are wrong.

Good pve is a solid foundation, which should bring more potential players to the game. Diverse mission types, long chain missions with a nice reward at the end. For sure would help the game more than any other solutions posted by admin on the forum.

I sure wish we had that too. ;)   But not "in lieu of".

Edited by Jean Ribault

Gee, I mean how hard can it be to show your players some love? I am pretty sure a hired professional would make this look modern quickly.

Took me a downloaded free font and some ideas (none of the photos are of my copyright and thank you should you own any of these).

port.jpg.41c0b26c67432bc1c11fac5e59e72e0d.jpgbattlescreen.jpg.dc38c460441c0ae720b6eddb4e5c05f6.jpgcastaway.jpg.1021171d373527147dd64ef02a3feae3.jpgpirates_tavern.jpg.10256f81a5188f6c509bb15d83e129cb.jpgshipyard.jpg.4f69e6ff0cca511580f075c03e940141.jpgboarding.thumb.jpg.9f0439b85a342912ff86d56828aa5c4e.jpg

• Like 2