Game-Labs Forum

Good review on Wargamer

14 minutes ago, The Soldier said:

3 inch Rodman guns and Spencer 1860 Breachloaders?  I think this man has his terminology in a muddle. :)

That may be but he is mostly a tabletop miniatures guy and rules author. Known in those circles for taking adapting a popular ACW rule set to the Napoleonic period among other things. From that perspective it is a fairly in depth and positive review. Note one of the criticisms was the lack of flags but again that can be traced to miniatures when you generally paint command groups with officers and flags for each unit.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, DeRuyter said:

Note one of the criticisms was the lack of flags but again that can be traced to miniatures when you generally paint command groups with officers and flags for each unit.

Hell, I don't do tabletop wargames but I still want flags flittering above my units.  Nothing like the color guard leading the brigade (well, technically regiment, but regiments aren't shown here in UGCW).

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/23/2017 at 2:16 PM, The Soldier said:

Hell, I don't do tabletop wargames but I still want flags flittering above my units.  Nothing like the color guard leading the brigade (well, technically regiment, but regiments aren't shown here in UGCW).

Tabletop miniatures is wargaming at its finest. Unlike computers, it requires a human being to interface with, enjoy a cocktail, and roll some dice. 

Plus, a full blown Linear Battlefield in minatures is just plain gorgeous when done correctly. 

I was part of a group many years ago, I have very fond memories. 

• Like 2

I have been reading Wargamer for decades. They are almost always right. And reading this review, it is pretty damn accurate. 

Flags! Yes, please. 

The AI guesses my intention 9/10 times? Sounds about right. 

Maps are drop dead gorgeous? Yes they are. 

Quibble:

Rodman Columbiads? No, not in this game. Columbiads are coast guns / naval rifles and not found in the Shop. But that is not the first time a 3" 'Griffin' Ordnance Rifle from the Phoenix Iron Works has mistakenly been called a Rodman Gun.