Game-Labs Forum

Make ganking fun for Everyone

I have one idea in mind and would like to share it here. Tell me if this could work. Instead of removing gank from the game, promote it! Make it fun and exciting experience. Well yes there is a high chance you will still die, but you will die fighting and end up having tons of pvp fun. 

1. Introduce Fame XP

2. Add Fame XP bar to see how much is earned. 

3. Allow players to use Fame XP in battles when Enemy has more players or higher ship strength. 

How to get Fame XP?

- Any Naval Action Open sea activities give players xp. This could be from 5 - 25 xp points. Regular NPC ship can give 5 xp, Fleet can give 15 xp and Player kill can give 25 xp. 

Fame XP Bar capacity is 500. This means every 250 xp points = 1 NPC spawn in battle when you are ganked. 

How will it work?

When ganked victim should have 1 time option to call in NPC ships for help. Random NPC spawn around victim could turn gank battle into a fun Action. This option should be based on 2:1 ratio or how Developers calculate ship strength.

This button only available when enemy numbers are higher or ship strength is higher. Call for Help should be based on Fame xp points earned when killing NPCs or players. Have enough points? Use Help button. Once NPCs spawned battle is closed to player reinforcements. If there is already a player helping counter gank, you can't use NPC help.

With enough fame points victim could spawn enough NPC ships to defend himself and make battle an epic fight. 2 vs 1 could turn into 2 NPCs + 1 Player vs 2 Players and so on...

Benefits to both parties and game.

1. PvP players (gankers) will have more challenge, kill 1 player + 2 npcs (if he can spawn them) , or if victim doesn't have enough fame points for 2 NPCs, it will be an even fight 2vs2. I know fighting NPC is easy, but it's always fun and provides more challenge. Also, win and earn more gold. 

2. Even ganked players will feel they fought bravely till the end and in some situations poor skilled gankers could sink.

3. Fame XP accumulation keeps players in game playing, it also acts as extra insurance in unfortunate situations and always provides fun to both parties. 

How spawn system will work?

System should always copy ganker ships, but with random guns and wood. For example,

1 Reno + 1 Surprise vs 1 Indiaman.

Indiaman player earned enough points and filled his Fame bar all the way. He calls in 2 NPCs. System copies 1 Reno + 1 Surprise, but gives them random (ex. long guns + medium guns + oak + teak). If player only has points for 1 NPC then system picks the strongest and spawn the best wood and guns. Spawned NPCs can not be captured. Mark them as 'Support' or something. 

What about large gank battles?

Let's say

4 vs 3 = only 1 Player NPC spawn allowed (up to 2 ships) = 4P vs 3P +2NPC (weak)

5 vs 3 = only 1 Player NPC spawn allowed (up to 2 ships) = 5P vs 3P +2NPC (strong)

6 vs 3 = only 2 Players NPC spawn allowed (up to 4 ships) = 6P vs 3P +4NPC (weak)

7 vs 3 = only 2 Players NPC spawn allowed (up to 4 ships) = 7P vs 3P +4NPC (strong)

...and so on..

Weak - means system will copy random (in battle) ships and will spawn random guns + wood trim. 

Strong - means system will copy only the strongest ships and will spawn the best guns + wood trim.

v2k1lH2.jpg

Let's try to figure out this problem together. What do you think. What's missing here?

Edited by George Washington
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, Otto Kohl said:

Are you new in this game ? How many hours do you have ?

Because for fighting AI there is PvE server. PvP is for fighting players and when i seek PvP i dont want to fight stupid AI. Its not chalenging. I dont support ganking and im not doint that, it must be solve somehow but NOT by adding AI to PvP battles.

So, you agreed you just want to Seal Club 2 vs 1 all day long until this game is dead? Sure thing. Let it happen. I would rather sail with a friend gank a player and let him draw a sword, call in NPCs and have a great fun fight. Instead you want to just watch him abandon his ship and leave the game. Sorry to say, but you must be one of those players who were opposing all great ideas on these forums that would make this game a hit, instead...

5 minutes ago, Otto Kohl said:

Which part you dont understand ?

Why are you here then writing this? This topic is about ganking solutions. Your 2 vs 2 pvp will be fine. Sometimes try to read the topic first as it clearly says only when ganked with uneven numbers. 

3 minutes ago, ShroudedRecluse said:

don't sail in situations where you can be ganked

In a PvP server, as it is now, can be anytime we press Sail! button :) 

... or not.

In truth the mission making grounds are magnets for player killers.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, The Red Duke said:

In a PvP server, as it is now, can be anytime we press Sail! button :) 

... or not.

In truth the mission making grounds are magnets for player killers.

This is easily solved by instantly closing missions.  I've been advocating this since release of Early Access when mission jumping was the worst it has ever been.  How do you protect seals?  By not letting the killer wales jump in their mission.

1 hour ago, Prater said:

This is easily solved by instantly closing missions.  I've been advocating this since release of Early Access when mission jumping was the worst it has ever been.  How do you protect seals?  By not letting the killer wales jump in their mission.

Swords disappear upon closure, any battle type, whatever timer.

Now they stay visible for quite a while after they are closed.

2 hours ago, George Washington said:

Provide more info on why not? I can say you can't even pvp period, but how can I support it? 1) screenshots 2) useless talk 

Instead of helping with ideas you act like a little child. 

I told you to make it a crowd pleaser.

A gank happens because the gankee made a mistake (out maneuvered on Open World).

You are proposing a no-skill cookie click to rectify such a mistake.

I am a carebear but I'm not too concerned about ganking. I have more than 2000 hours ingame in PVP EU and then I learned how to lower the risk to an acceptable level.

Anyway the whole "gank" problem depends on the fact that loosing a fight may have a huge impact on a player if he was sailing a "good" ship (let's say a fully fitted combat "permitted" ship on the side of the ganker or a fully fitted mission ship or an indiaman on the side of the ganked missioner or trader).

Let's see how it works

1) OS dedicated PVPers sail in small groups of speed demon uberfitted ships (mostly surprise, endy and consti) with a lot of sail repairs ... so then they hardly are able to sink each other. If they get in a fight against other PVPers, when a part realizes that they are loosing it is very likely that they will find the way to disengage and flee)

2) for reason 1) PVPers tend to attack mostly lone missioners or traders (those are easy targets, since the attacking party has just to watch out for the occasional revenge fleet near capitals and the new "warp speed + invis" mechanics helps them a lot also in the case of revenge fleets)

3) missioners and traders that do not ragequit have gained a certain experience and therefore are very cautious: they sail in dengerous places only when waters are safe or they go making their stuffs in remote places and/or at odd times.

4) due to reason 3) mostly new players are the average target of PVPers (and when they are ganked too many times, they quit)

5) since available preys in OS are scarce, dedicated PVPers ask for more "incentive/buffs" to PVP ... but - if they get what they want - the loop just goes on (even worse)

This loop has only one solution (and actually the devs - with the forthcoming patch - are going in that direction): avoid that loosing a "good" combat ship (both for PVE players and for PVP players) turns out in a potential eco-breakdown for the player. The key is letting players recover quite easy from a loss. The rest should come naturally.

Edited by victor
  • Like 1

49 minutes ago, Skully said:

I told you to make it a crowd pleaser.

A gank happens because the gankee made a mistake (out maneuvered on Open World).

You are proposing a no-skill cookie click to rectify such a mistake.

I am proposing 'don't run and fight us' game. It's designed to eliminate cases where players just abandon ships and pvp players are left with no action and it provides increase in pvp interest. If player able to sink at least 1 attacker with NPC help, he will be no doubt interested in  returning to pvp even on his own. 

1 minute ago, George Washington said:

I am proposing don't run and fight us game.  

Funny, that is exactly what the PvP-ers are proposing as well. It seems the two cancel each other out.

16 minutes ago, Skully said:

Funny, that is exactly what the PvP-ers are proposing as well. It seems the two cancel each other out.

With what we have now (latest patch) there will be no increase in pvp. Next patch? maybe a little for a while, but not long term. I am trying to eliminate fear of sailing and fighting with little help from NPCs. Once player feels 'adrenaline' which is the main ingredient in my proposal, they won't be able to resist it and will try pvp again. 

Unfortunately, there will be other factors that will try to stop players from pvp. They are: long travel time, cost and lack of information. 

I did my research well. Many players value their belongings and once they are sunk in unfair/uneven fight all their work feels a waste of time. In other words that is a well known dead end. 

So, to counter this and keep gankers alive and prey on OS we simply need to introduce a natural drug called 'adrenaline'. Giving player opportunity to defend himself will create that drug in both attackers and the victim. Victim might end up sunk, but he should get a reward for fighting and participating in the bloody fight. It always feels good when you sink at least 1 noob ganker. We will have these cases trust me. This creates an interesting world out there and promotes healthy pvp. So, convert ganking into a tool that will forge pvp on the whole new level. Allow prey to fight back with little help from his own hard work (fleets/pvp Fame XP). 

9 minutes ago, victor said:

5) since available preys in OS are scarce, dedicated PVPers ask for more "incentive/buffs" to PVP ... but - if they get what they want - the loop just goes on (even worse)

So we break the loop by introducing rewards for gankees: 

7 minutes ago, Skully said:

So we break the loop by introducing rewards for gankees: 

C'mon ... I am the carebear here and I am against rewards for the looser. Besides it is a more complicated (and counterintuitive) solution, mate.

I think that - after the mega patch - the party of "ruthless PVP + everything costs a fortune" is shrinked to a couple of dozens of players. Since the "ruthless PVP" factor for me is quite fine (even if I am more a pray then a hunter), then let's just cut our the second term. 

Edited by victor

7 minutes ago, victor said:

C'mon ... I am the carebear here and I am against rewards for the looser. Besides it is a more complicated (and counterintuitive) solution, mate.

I think that - after the mega patch - the party of "ruthless PVP + everything costs a fortune" is shrinked to a couple of dozens of players. Since the "ruthless PVP" factor for me is quite fine (even if I am more a pray then a hunter), then let's just cut our the second term. 

In this game you must reward players. This is a massive world and requires tons of time to be invested here. All this must be equally covered by returning rewards such as , log in rewards, (small) rewards when killed in action, daily assignments rewards, daily pvp kills, daily npc kills etc.. This is the simplest possible form of how developers keep players in their pockets. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, George Washington said:

In this game you must reward players. This is a massive world and requires tons of time to be invested here. All this must be equally covered by returning rewards such as , log in rewards, (small) rewards when killed in action, daily assignments rewards, daily pvp kills, daily npc kills etc.. This is the simplest possible form of how developers keep players in their pockets. 

It may be a better solution but for sure it is not the simplest one, since it requires some game design effort and a lot of new coding. The simplest solution is lowering cost of existing things, since this requires far less work on the source code.

Edited by victor

33 minutes ago, victor said:

The simplest solution is lowering cost of existing things

It is not a solution, it will only lower the barrier to entry.

The decision to enter remains the same:

3 hours ago, Otto Kohl said:

Ok fine, im not gonna waste my time talking to guy who plays this game for propably less that 100h.

There's the "elitist" attitude that ruins this game for newcomers. Because someone played the game less than you doesn't give you any right to belittle them.

Enlighten the "newcomers" instead of looking down your nose.

• Like 2

some nice ideas but this game is dead or has no future until they implement mechanics that allow for one map with a pve and pvp areas so players have options to go back and forth as needed depending on their time, their needs etc. this forced pvp box and npc nations is a disaster the devs are banging their heads against the wall trying to figure out. so it doesnt matter how much fluff or new features you add, until players can retreat to pve or charge ahead into pvp areas at their whim not forced into one or the other, this game will be stuck with 50 hard core players in no time.

• Like 2