Game-Labs Forum

Think of your privateers/true pirates, bring back NPC sales of repairs.

Please, please, please bring back NPC selling of repairs, maybe at high costs so crafters don't complain.  On Global my home nation is France. The last few weeks our clan has been up at the US coast wanting to help the US fight pirates around there. We took our time, sailed the distance, which I don't mind.  Yesterday I ran out of rig repairs after actually getting into a 1v1. No one else from my clan was on.  I was able to find canvas rolls but could not find fir logs to make repairs. I did hear that someone from the US was going to give us some repairs but again there were none when I was around.  So I had to quit playing.  I'm a very casual player, play only on weekends.  And not being able to find repairs hurts me when I'm trying to provide PVP by actually taking time and sailing into enemy territory.

• Like 9

What they should do is not make ports buy them so folks can actually post the price they want to pay with contracts for large amounts, but the Free towns should seed them for folks that just want to work out of free towns.  This is Morts prices fro them right now but you hardly see any one post them up to sale cause some jack arse will buy them and than repost them for a big mark up trying to make a quick buck.

Hull Repairs cost 1034 to make 1300 listed in mort

Rig Repairs cost 571 to make 1100 listed

Rum cost 103 to make 450 listed

I think the cost of Hull Repairs should be in par or lower than Rig Repairs.   

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sir Texas Sir said:

What they should do is not make ports buy them so folks can actually post the price they want to pay with contracts for large amounts, but the Free towns should seed them for folks that just want to work out of free towns.  This is Morts prices fro them right now but you hardly see any one post them up to sale cause some jack arse will buy them and than repost them for a big mark up trying to make a quick buck.

"Free towns should seed them for folks that just want to work out of free towns" aka rats lul

The game is very lacking in offering information to traders w.r.t. player needs.

Campaigning in enemy waters should be expensive, but in no way crippling someone from playing the game. Currently I'm also on the US coast with very little repairs.

I could put up a buy contract, but chances of it being filled are very low. Even if I put up a fair price. 

On the other hand, it is very easy to craft repairs and very good income for (low level) players.

So first the game should provide better information on player contracts outstanding.

Second I think avatar TP from Free Towns is must. You should not get stuck somewhere where you can no longer provide to action. You should be able to get back to a place where you can.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Captain Dug said:

"Free towns should seed them for folks that just want to work out of free towns" aka rats lul

You must be thinking of certain former British clans and french clans.  We don't have to work out of free towns.   Can I remind you who owns a region right next to every major nations capitals right now or at one time and even than still a region close enough to raid said capitals or econ regions of those nations? I do remember seeing your name in the port battle yesterday.   So how exactly is that working out for yall?  We don't need to work out of a free town when we own a region right next door to you.  Why you think we picked that one as the first region to take from the US after several attacks and port battles started by your nation?   

I think it's funny most of the folks that complained about the TP being removed from Free Towns said, "Pirates should still get TP's so they can raid out of them."  Weren't pirates and are the folks we see use them to raid.  We don't need Freetowns to raid out of.  

Back for the post though....

When we go to flip a port we have one person bring a trader full or load up our SOL"S with a lot of repairs.  We flip the port and than port into a Freetown for the night or if we own a region close we do that.  We drop off all the extra repairs and only bring what we think we need for OW and Port battle fight.  Than we return to the port and restock or move that port after reset to our new base of operations and leave the ship in that zone to protect it.    I can say if you want to raid out of a Free town than you need to make weekly runs an produce those goods you need to restock.  The problem is one person can't make all the repair mods themselves easily.

You need Fir, Oak, Hemp, Iron and Sugar.  As long as you return every three days you can restock up as you cap out at the port holding limit.  Though labor hours max out every other day.  Some folks don't want to do this part of the game so we need some other way to get simple supplies and I think the best way to do this is allow ports to seed daily the repairs and not allow them to buy them off players to keep folks from buying them up and saleing them in other ports.  But the port shouldn't be able to support a lot of players as to give a reason for you to return and restock up supplies too.

47 minutes ago, Sir Texas Sir said:

Do those prices include labour hours?

15 minutes ago, Skully said:

The game is very lacking in offering information to traders w.r.t. player needs.

Campaigning in enemy waters should be expensive, but in no way crippling someone from playing the game. Currently I'm also on the US coast with very little repairs.

I could put up a buy contract, but chances of it being filled are very low. Even if I put up a fair price. 

On the other hand, it is very easy to craft repairs and very good income for (low level) players.

So first the game should provide better information on player contracts outstanding.

Second I think avatar TP from Free Towns is must. You should not get stuck somewhere where you can no longer provide to action. You should be able to get back to a place where you can.

One way to help new players to learn econ and trading is they could set up trade missions where it has you go to certain home region ports and set up things like, oak, fir, hemp iron or sugar.  Have them ask which mission you want.  Than the missions string helps them set up there first two ports.  I pick Hull repairs and it tells me I need Iron and Oak.  It get to set up Oak in Mort and than it sends me to Little Iguana to set up Iron.  I pick Rig Repairs it tells me to set up Fir in Mort and than hemp in Islet.   I think those two would make great starter tutorial missions for new players.   Remember we get our first permit for an out post for free.  Players should start with a small amount of seeded money.  Maybe this could be after doing your first mission or two that teaches you how to sail and fight in your ship.  Than you have seed money to set up your first two buildings and the ports.  Rum is a bit more complicated as it takes 4 items.  Though this could be an advance tutorial.  I  don't know how the resources are set up in other nations but if the Hull and Rig repairs can be down in two ports counting the capital it would make a great tutorial mission for new players to learn about econ set up.   Rum takes Fir, Iron, Oak and Sugar so it can be set up as an advance tutorial after some one gains maybe a level or two.

As for the TP from freetowns. I would say only if you limit to only keeping trade ships in those ports.  As long as you have a war ship in that port you can't TP out of it.  You will have to take it back to a friendly port before you can teleport.  Other wise it will be abused to much by folks working out of Free Ports attacking other nations.  All they have to do is TP back and do there econ and than pick it up and drop it off once a week or something or go fight other fights like port battles.  If your in a war ship and need to get back to friendly than you need to do it by sailing the OW.  Why would a freetown let you leave a war ship in a freetown?   I also think Freetowns should be limited to only 4th rates and below.  SOL's should not be allowed to dock up in freetowns.   Than again I think one way to limit them also is make it so they can only dock up in SOL ports only.  This will limit where some one can keep his SOL's and use them. 

44 minutes ago, seanjo said:

Do those prices include labour hours?

the cost does at 100 gold a hour.  Remember labor is free for you so you can put any cost on labor hours.  When I build cannons for the nation I think of the labor hours more as part of my profits.  Cost without labor hours is this.

Hull Repairs 488

Rigging Repairs 378 gold

Rum 33 gold

Remember this is base cost if you produce every thing your self owning the Iron, Oak, Hemp, Fir production buildings.  If you buy the resources from some one else you have to add that into your cost of producing them. Also remember there is a 5% listing fee for all contracts posted.  It's 10% for ships.  

Edited by Sir Texas Sir
Fixed prices cause my math sucks...lol

25 minutes ago, Sir Texas Sir said:

the cost does at 100 gold a hour.  Remember labor is free for you so you can put any cost on labor hours.  When I build cannons for the nation I think of the labor hours more as part of my profits.  Cost without labor hours is this.

Hull Repairs 546

Rigging Repairs 193 gold

Rum 71 gold

Remember this is base cost if you produce every thing your self owning the Iron, Oak, Hemp, Fir production buildings.  If you buy the resources from some one else you have to add that into your cost of producing them. Also remember there is a 5% listing fee for all contracts posted.  It's 10% for ships.  

Our Maths are not the same, I get 378 gold for 1 rig repair, without including hours, and owning the hemp plantation and fir forest.

Maybe my maths is totally off.

Edited by seanjo
  • Like 1

41 minutes ago, Sir Texas Sir said:

As for the TP from freetowns. I would say only if you limit to only keeping trade ships in those ports.  As long as you have a war ship in that port you can't TP out of it.  You will have to take it back to a friendly port before you can teleport.

18 hours ago, admin said:

Neutral towns will allow normal teleports and building construction

I'm more stating in preparation of expectancies. Yes, a warship in a Free/Neutral town represents a treat, but without avatar TP it is governed by server population. While @Anne Wildcat might not be in the Free Town, you might be. So no avatar TP on a Free Town is actually a false sense of security.

To take it even further, we must ensure everybody is on OW or even in Battle. Then there is no reason to avatar TP. (And the server populous will feel more populated.)

In other rule sets we may or may not see Pirates only capable of creating Free Towns. No longer Pirate Nation towns. In which case I think Pirates will need the avatar TP as well.

3 minutes ago, seanjo said:

Our Maths are not the same, I get 378 gold for 1 rig repair, without including hours, and having the hemp plantation and fir forest.

53 gold to produce 1x hemp.

60 gold to produce 1 x Fir

106 Gold to produce 1 x canvas roll

to produce 50 Rig repairs you need 150 x canvas rolls and 50 x Fir log...(150 x 106) + (50 x 60) = 18900

18900/50 = 378 per rig repair.

Maybe my maths is totally off.

Fixed it no you are right my math totally sucked. I was listing the labor hour cost not the materials cost.  

@Remus has a very awesome spread sheet for the actual cost of things if you produce them at cost yourself not counting things like permit and buying from others.

2 minutes ago, Skully said:

I'm more stating in preparation of expectancies. Yes, a warship in a Free/Neutral town represents a treat, but without avatar TP it is governed by server population. While @Anne Wildcat might not be in the Free Town, you might be. So no avatar TP on a Free Town is actually a false sense of security.

To take it even further, we must ensure everybody is on OW or even in Battle. Then there is no reason to avatar TP. (And the server populous will feel more populated.)

In other rule sets we may or may not see Pirates only capable of creating Free Towns. No longer Pirate Nation towns. In which case I think Pirates will need the avatar TP as well.

Admin needs to watch the use of Free Town and Neutral towns.  Neutral towns will be like the old Pitts was before they did the Regional map patch.  Though I don't think it will have the safety green zones for nats like it did since pirates will be able to us it too.  Free Ports El Rancho, Tumbado, Shroud Cay, La Tortue, La Mona, Aves (that will be a new one but makes since), Dariena and Guayguayare will be just as Free Towns are now, no teleport in or out of them.

Now what I'm understanding of Neutral ports is you can set a captured port to Neutral and let every one no matter what nation use it with or you can set it to your nation and only limit players of your nation to use that port.   This way say my clan takes Sant Iago a coal producing port, but we want to share it with the Brits and French in the region.  We can set it as a Neutral port so any one can enter the port and set up production in that port.  Which if we have an alliance with the Danes they could come us it as a staging port to attack the Brits as they can set up an outpost there.   This will allow small nations to use Neutral ports without having to capture them there selves.  I actually like it, but might see a problem if some big clans turn the map to pretty much all neutral ports.  Than there will be no reason to fight over the resources at those ports.  Than again Pirates could be dicks and do like we did with Operation Lone Ranger on PvP2 and take all none friendly silver ports and make them pirate only ports to keep folks out of them other than pirates, alts or smugglers.  Are we could make them all neutral ports and jack the tax's up through the roof for any one to use them.   This going to make things very interesting if they keep certain resources to only captureable ports.

But this is going way off topic other than the fact that now you can set up a neutral port instead of Freetown to stage multi nations from in a front line of a fight that you set up with other nations to fight from.  Say Pirates and Brits (yah right) are at war with the US.   Using @Anne Wildcat example up there of what French are doing.  French bribes BLACK to take a port in that region cause they want to help the US fight off Brits and some of the Pirate Rogue clans.   BLACK has had problems with said Rogue clan so they set up a port battle.  Instead of turning the port Pirate and locking it for pirates only to use they instead set it Neutral.  Now any nation can use that port.  Being the folks we are and wanting to make a buck, we jack the TAX way up and charge every one Pirates, US, Brits, and France high tax on all trade.  We than sale to all sides Repairs, Ships, Cannons and what not.   Than we proceed to PvP the US, Brits, and French....hell even the Rogue Pirate clan.  

Like I said it's going to be very interesting and I can see folks all ready going to have a cow when things like this happen.

Hmmm...I'm feeling like everyone should just be able to CRAFT some daily repairs anywhere they are, up to some level - emergency repairs that can't be sold or stockpiled beyond a certain modest number.  If you need a huge pile of repairs in addition, then I'm feeling like they should be trucked in.  However, I gotta admit I haven't partaken in this particular kind of adventure.

Edited by Barbancourt (rownd)

57 minutes ago, Barbancourt (rownd) said:

Hmmm...I'm feeling like everyone should just be able to CRAFT some daily repairs anywhere they are, up to some level - emergency repairs that can't be sold or stockpiled beyond a certain modest number.  If you need a huge pile of repairs in addition, then I'm feeling like they should be trucked in.  However, I gotta admit I haven't partaken in this particular kind of adventure.

I have. It is lucrative and relatively easy, albeit time consuming sailing wise. You can stuff a lot of repairs in a Trader Lynx and sail them to your FOB.

It could be made easier on sailing time, if there is a small AI resource production and the ability to place contracts in enemy ports. That would also liven up the local region a lot more.

4 hours ago, Anne Wildcat said:

@Sir Texas Sir

This is totally off topic, my apologies to mods, so please reply in a pm but I am sincerely, very curious.  If you want to play like a national (capture ports near enemies so you don't need free towns, have a 1st rate dread fleet, etc) why chose pirate?

I'm pretty sure I can field this one.  Control and ready man power.  It's like herding cats to try to gain control of a large nation like GB or USA. Meanwhile the pirate nation is right there with larger sums of man power and a good amount of them are expecting to PvP.  

We used to have a saying in POTBS pirate nation "if you flip it they will come".  Basically, you didn't need to organize the whole pirate nation. Just one or two clans. Once that clan put hostility on a port the others would see the build up and often head there to get PvP. Try the same thing in the British nation POTBS and many of the Brit players would avoid the point of hostility build up. So as a Brit you had to organize all the clans to get the man power.

Think of the simple beauty of what BLACK does. They take the port next to a capital and then just stock a 1st/4th rate fleet to hold it in PBs. Meanwhile the other pirate rabble move in to hunt the capital and keep your enemies down for you.  Love it or hate it the tactical brilliance is there.

Edited by Bach
  • Like 1

57 minutes ago, Bach said:

I'm pretty sure I can field this one.  Control and ready man power.  It's like herding cats to try to gain control of a large nation like GB or USA. Meanwhile the pirate nation is right there with larger sums of man power and a good amount of them are expecting to PvP.  

We used to have a saying in POTBS pirate nation "if you flip it they will come".  Basically, you didn't need to organize the whole pirate nation. Just one or two clans. Once that clan put hostility on a port the others would see the build up and often head there to get PvP. Try the same thing in the British nation POTBS and many of the Brit players would avoid the point of hostility build up. So as a Brit you had to organize all the clans to get the man power.

Think of the simple beauty of what BLACK does. They take the port next to a capital and then just stock a 1st/4th rate fleet to hold it in PBs. Meanwhile the other pirate rabble move in to hunt the capital and keep your enemies down for you.  Love it or hate it the tactical brilliance is there.

We have always picked targets for a reason.   We have never had the numbers to fight nations straight out.  I don't joke when I say they are pretty much fighting 15-20 players.  When guys come over from other nations and find out it's not far from the truth it blows there minds when they think we have about 50 players. It's an illusion we play well.  Yes we have more than that in clan, but that  15-20 is our steady active numbers.    Ever notice a lot of the port battles we are always short one or two guys even with a few Mort Rats added in?   

We actually love PVP but just like the French PvPer s we are going to fight on our terms not theirs.   If they didn't have the attention span of a Nat they would be getting some OW PvP.  What was it only like a week or two and they got bored and ran off to PvP EU or some other game?  Basically we beat them by using the bore them to death tactic that the US and GB try on us by not showing up to Port battles and other fights.