Game-Labs Forum

Forthcoming patch final discussion.

2 minutes ago, Hodo said:

@admin This new patch does not solve any of the actual underlining issues.   You can change your avatar to the same .gif as so many others, it doesnt change the fact that Pirates are still broken.   The games basic mechanics are flawed.  And the lack of actual population and numbers in game or information on those things is killing any chances at RVR or PVP in this game.  

Important questions are still unanswered while unsolved?

6 minutes ago, Quineloe said:

USA originally was the only nation to be listed as "easy".

I think it's nice the "pirates are hardest faction" notion is now finally abandoned. Pirates are easy mode. And as such their "accomplishments" should be rated at.

If my memory is correct it was originally a hardcore nation. 

Edited by George Washington

4 minutes ago, Bart Smith said:

Why USA should be easy at start are they get more ports?

I believe it's cause they are tucked away in there own little pocket up north away from most other nations sharing only a border with Spain on the south.   It normally takes another nation a bit to attack them unless they happen to be Spain or Pirates for the most part.

10 minutes ago, Sea Fox said:

Hostility and map rework

• All ports will be split into capturable and non-capturable - the amount of ports will represent gameplay difficulty on these original difficulty levels
    • Spain easy
    • Britain easy
    • USA easy
    • France medium
    • Netherlands medium
    • Pirates hard 
    • Denmark hard (only 3 uncapturable ports)
    • Sweden very very very hard (only 1 uncapturable port)

Will you now make it possible to switch nation's without being stripped of everything?

When they do this patch they need to show a map of what things look like and give every one an updated count of the national activity and player numbers like they did back in March. Than pass out a new set of forged papers.  Though I still have no clue what to do with mine.  Though I admit I'm tempted to roll my second pirate back to Spain, but if I was to do that I would like to have a name change to what he had in Spain long time ago. Maybe all resources we have should be rolled back into redeemable and allow us to delete and make new chars in new nations and then redeem all our goods?

example of PvP2 numbers they showed us in Mar this year.  I have copy of PvP1 numbers but the format for PvP2 was done better.  I know me and @Jon Snow lets go been asking for these for a while since the patch/merge and we have yet to get any update so folks know the actual server number break downs of each nations.

dFbC8bb.png

4 hours ago, admin said:

Maybe the number of people who could convert to pvp has fallen drastically due to the design paradigms we have been creating with the active community here?

• Insta- closed battles (favor pvp hunters and not average players)
  • No reinforcements (favor pvp hunters and not average players)
  • Removal of revenge gank due to invisibility and speed buff (favor pvp hunters and not average players)
  • Removal of resource transport (favor pvp hunters and not average players)
  • Many other features that were pushed in to just place average players in line for easy consumption by pvp hunters 

Now we are getting requests to remove missions from capitals (to let pvp hunters find target easier). 
Your opinion is valuable and you were one of the players who asked for some real fixes of revenge ganks - you got them. Did you start to pvp more?

Or maybe all those changes destroy the supply of targets and because wolves don't eat wolves you have nobody to play with once average players dissapear?

For more PVP, I suggest going back to the old repair system, at least where they can be bought from NPCs.  It is impossible to continue to privateer when you run out of repairs. The future reduction in ship costs should help too. :) 

Edit  I think 1 dura may have reduced PVP but everyone seems to like it  

Edit again, if you think the changes to reduce revenge fleets reduced PVP, (which I don't think is entirely the case) then remove the speed boost but please keep invisibility. 

43 minutes ago, z4ys said:

Certainly not.

I know a lot of that kind, let me tell you, they will find NA far too slow in action, and those who try it out will realise they need a very different mindset from their usual BF, CoD CS:Go or whetever.

But if I am wrong and "shooter kids" show up - so what? more opponents for Us!

9 minutes ago, Anne Wildcat said:

For more PVP, I suggest going back to the old repair system, at least where they can be bought from NPCs.  It is impossible to continue to privateer when you run out of repairs. The future reduction in ship costs should help too. :) 

Edit  I think 1 dura may have reduced PVP but everyone seems to like it  

Edit again, if you think the changes to reduce revenge fleets reduced PVP, (which I don't think is entirely the case) then remove the speed boost but please keep invisibility. 

I kinda like the repair system, but I think we should go with the time I mention in testbed over and over.  15 mins was to long and 10 mins seems to short.  So lets meet in the middle with the share cool down with 12 mins.   I don't think 1 dura is an issue if you can lower the cost of none permit ships of 5th rate or lower.  As for repairs I think it should be the one thing that is seeded in all free towns for folks to buy.  Though to keep folks from buying them and resaleing them they need to lock them from being bought from the NPC.  You can still put up buy and sale orders, but I seen folks go buy them and than sale them jacked up in cost way to high.  Most folks don't buy them in port cause even at the capitals they are trying to make over 100% profits off them.  I listed the price with 100 gold per labor hours the cost to make each one and what folks are currently saleing them for.  Hull repairs have a shilght mark up, but you need to pay several thousands to worth of repairs each trip when you go out.  The numbers depends on if your doing long from home reaids or keeping it light for short trips or loading up for PvE grind.   I think the cost to make Rig and Rum isn't to bad, but Hull Repairs which are used the most cost way to much still.   The price needs to be reduced to craft them.  Are clan has a few none crafter guys doing the resources to make these and we just pool them up in the clan warehouse and pass them out when we group up for things, other folks are that lucky.  The mark up folks do one things is what kills the econy me.  That and folks buy up any thing you post for cheap and than repost it for 4 times the cost of making them.   

Hull Repairs cost 1034 to make 1300 listed in mort

Rig Repairs cost 571 to make 1100 listed

Rum cost 103 to make 450 listed

6 minutes ago, rediii said:

Is there any ETA since we can expect a mapwhipe?

Will it be possible to tp to neutral towns? Realy important information in my oppinion.

How will the EU server work with that option to set a timeframe of pkrtbattles for ports?

The question a lot want to to know....oh Neutral Towns every one can use and make out post in like before (well pirates couldn't before, but they will now). You don't want the neutral town close than capture it and make it your nations port.   I can see folks using this to make trade centrals. I can all ready seeing a clan making a certain port ours and than setting a decent tax and turning it into a major trade hub for all nations.

I like the tactics and excitement to play a large naval battle. But I hate all the other stuff I have to get through to get my reward. I hope they make legends somewhat realistic and make lines a valid tactic in opposite to NA where it's all about boarding and raking. 

Keep focus of the discussion posts about OP topics as lay out by Admin:)

-or and quoting a fellow mod from another universe-

"Please resume with full confidence that your opinion is the only right one." ( in relation to those same topics )

well 75 unique players in combat news means another 75 people were also PVPing, since they got sunk.

The people in combat news usually don't sink each other, as it's just a massive downer on fun to chase PVP ships.

I'm just gonna laugh if this whole thing goes out the window with NA Legends where  you don't have to re-earn your right to PVP in PVE over and over goes live and people don't play regular NA anymore. Would be a great loss to reduce this game to World of Tanks with sailing ships, but that's what I see happening.

• Like 1

@admin You have to have Ships list that you can see at other ports.  Ie I am at Atwood but I can see a Ship for Sell I want in Sav.  This one thing will drive prices down on most Ships.  Problem I have Now Selling Ships, is people that don't know Where to get them.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, rediii said:

yes, introduce better tradertool where you can compare prices better. Also make shipcontracts a thing. If i want a ship I would like to be able to set up a contract of the ship I would like to have. Giving a overview of shipprices in other ports would be a good thing too.

that would be pretty neat!

15 minutes ago, fox2run said:

I hope they make legends somewhat realistic and make lines a valid tactic in opposite to NA where it's all about boarding and raking

You do realise boarding was a pretty effective if you had the superior manpower / actual soldiers ( ingame marines ) on your ship over the other? Also raking was even used most famously at the Battle of Trafalgar where the HMS Victory under the command of admiral nelson raked the bucentaure to devastating effect. It's only logical and realistic that if you give another ship the chance to rake you, it's pretty effective since you left your weakspot exposed and his guns fire through the whole length of your ship ( with the correct angle ).

I don't know what people you're playing / sailing with but sailing in line is a valid tactic in SOL battles already... most likely it will be the opposite and in legends you'll be thrown into a battle with randoms who have no clue about tactics and it will be all about raking and boarding...

Edited by Captain Lust
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, JobaSet said:

@admin You have to have Ships list that you can see at other ports.  Ie I am at Atwood but I can see a Ship for Sell I want in Sav.  This one thing will drive prices down on most Ships.  Problem I have Now Selling Ships, is people that don't know Where to get them.

A reputation system really needs to be tied into this game.  Your crafting and trading can be tied in to what you can see in shops.  POTBS actually had a very good system for this.  I played Spain and I keep my trader/crafter reputation with the other nations traders real good.  He was able to sink war ships, but I never had him sink any national AI trade ships.  Thus he had very good reputation with other nations where I could use there Auction house.  Your reputation also told how far you can see.  As in just that port, region or all the nations ports.   I would limit some of it to only regions or nations unless you are part of that nation.   

Reputation system can also replace the smuggler flag.  You have a bad reputation with a certain nation of always sinking traders that nation is not going to want to trade with you smuggler flag or not. 

They can do a whole lot with a proper reputation system in game.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Intrepido said:

Yeah, bring back alliances. But this time between clans if you wish devs. With the population so splitted between nations and the usual drama inside nations some help from outsiders are much needed.

12 minutes ago, Sir Texas Sir said:

A reputation system really needs to be tied into this game.  Your crafting and trading can be tied in to what you can see in shops.  POTBS actually had a very good system for this.  I played Spain and I keep my trader/crafter reputation with the other nations traders real good.  He was able to sink war ships, but I never had him sink any national AI trade ships.  Thus he had very good reputation with other nations where I could use there Auction house.  Your reputation also told how far you can see.  As in just that port, region or all the nations ports.   I would limit some of it to only regions or nations unless you are part of that nation.   

Reputation system can also replace the smuggler flag.  You have a bad reputation with a certain nation of always sinking traders that nation is not going to want to trade with you smuggler flag or not. 

They can do a whole lot with a proper reputation system in game.

By having a reputation system each captain will be able to have his own alliances by default. Clan reputation can also be a factor in determining reputation for any captain.

Kinda like EVE even, linking the ability to take combat orders/fleet missions from a nation based on your personal reputation with them. Also including clan wars and grinding reputation etc. 

Edited by Johnny Rotten

@admin has the idea of allowing clans from the same nation attack each other been dropped? Yes, it would make it possible for nations to attack their own noobs (a stupid practice) but it would allow some policing of our own waters. I don't think Econ ALTS should be forbidden, but there should be some risk to being what is really the true smuggler in the game.

5 minutes ago, Intrepido said:

Yeah, bring back alliances. But this time between clans if you wish devs. With the population so splitted between nations and the usual drama inside nations some help from outsiders are much needed.

Alliance system was very broken and should not be returned in it's former form.  On PvP2 you had US/GB/Dutch in a super alliance that never attacked each other.  They made up of 61% of the server population.  Pirates made up of 21%.  The small nation alliance was made up of the other 18% and all US/GB/Dutch did was attack the small nations and avoid fights with Pirates.  While EU had problems with Day/Night flips with time zone of nations alliance, PvP2 had issues with big guys vs little guys.  There is a problem when the two largest nations with the highest population of 23% for GB and 31% for US had not a single port battle with each other since August of last year until the wipe.   Now if it limits you who you can have an Alliance with like one big nation can take in one small nation that would be better.  GB/Dutch was a good alliance.  US if they took in say Spain or France and actually fought GB would of been a good Alliance.  

If it was to ever return than it should only be for low pop nations only.  

Now what they should do is turn Pirates Nations into a Privateer faction and allow Pirates with a Letter of Marque to join a nation for a set contract and fight for them. If you don't have a LoM than your an Outlaw/Pirate per traditional means.  What was most pirates any way?  Just privateers out of a job cause there wasn't any wars going on.  Many of them got pardons and a LoM as soon as a war broke out and went right back to Privateer.  Now the LoM thing could prob be used for all nations.  Lets say I'm Spanish and I want to fight for the Brits. I get a LoM and I can now fight as a Privateer for the Brits.  I can join there battles and fight along side of them as long as they aren't fighting Spanish.    There so many ways they can take this if they want.   Along with a proper in game reputation system that is.

1 hour ago, admin said:

Expensive mods are the alternative to EVE online Officer fits (the ones that cost more than a ship). You don't have to use them.

1 hour ago, Quineloe said:

Too bad they're game decidingly good. Elite French rig refit surpise 1vs1 against one without it? Assuming even player skill, that's one surprise without masts and the other undamaged.

(My emphasis)

The rare and expensive speedmods even decide if you get a fight or have the possibility to disengage.

I get that the eco guys and PvE grinders need to have carrots to work towards, but must they be so strong, or even tied directly to combat?

As I see it PvP has struggled in OW since the start, the base of this is fear of loss itself. Now, this is a feature that sandboxers place tremendous value on, fine! Must we multiply this problem with "optional" rare loot or expensive upgrades?

I was told that a certain RvR/PvP clan has a PvE grinder sub-group that grinds out shiny stuff for them. This is game content, socializing and cooperation. Good things for a sandbox game (I presume). I cannot help but feel this is playing it fast and loose with server pop. Note that I don't condemn that particular clan for doing it, I may let a smirk flash across my face, but given how the game is set up it is a smart thing to do.

A few weeks after OW opened up for santi owners I started my campaign for "New players should be able to, fairly quickly, get competitive gear and fight us old dogs without a gear handicap."

Is this impossible or wrong in a sandbox game?

• Like 7

9 minutes ago, Farrago said:

@admin has the idea of allowing clans from the same nation attack each other been dropped? Yes, it would make it possible for nations to attack their own noobs (a stupid practice) but it would allow some policing of our own waters. I don't think Econ ALTS should be forbidden, but there should be some risk to being what is really the true smuggler in the game.

I know they mentioned OW couldn't be done, but they haven't mention anything about Port Battles between clans or nations in the this current post.  It would be nice to know if that is still on the table or not.  One thing they should do if they keep the smuggler flag is go back to doing what they had before when we had Pirate vs Pirate before.  Make it that any one can attack a player with a Smuggler flag on.  It basically turns you into a pirate char and than make pirates perm smuggler since most of us leave it perm on any way.  Just keep the restrictions of using it to trade ships only.  This way if you see a known spy/traitor coming back from meeting with his other nation alt or what not and has a smuggler flag on, you can attack him even though he's your own nation.

9 minutes ago, rediii said:

lets think clanalliances over different nations trough:

People would be able to attack a nation(lets say PR) and set a PR clan as friendly allowing them to join the PB on attackerside. Good thing?

My clan could be set friendly on attacker and defender side. Only joining 1 side tho while tricking the other side that we want to help. Classical sandbox backstab, good thing?

Can clans attack each other while being friendly? (both would have to agree to a alliance)

If so, can they exploit it by attacking each other to get to a portbattle safely?

If not what stops them to do that and set each other friendly before portbattle starts? (only active after maintenance for example solution)

I think cross nation clan alliances would actually be bad.  The only way I can see it working is by turning Pirates into a Privateer faction and make them very much like Mercs in MWO.  Where clans can take out contracts (Letter of Marques) with a nation and fight for them.  I think they are currently one week or month long contracts.  Haven't played in a while, but you know that clan has a contract for that set time.  When it's up they can easly switch to another nation.  Clans and solo players without LoM will be your traditional Pirates/Outlaws.    This way removing pirates from RvR system unless they are acting as Privateers for a nation.  While they are under that LoM a National Clan can add them to there "Friends" list so they can join and help with port battles.

If you are not acting as a privateer than you get to work out of Freetowns, Neutral ports and Pirate Havens (perm pirate ports that can't be captured spread all over the map).

13 minutes ago, jodgi said:

About mods ...

Personally I'd love if they got rid of mods and skill books completely. Let the ship, wood type, and cannons you chose and your skill determine your outcome. :)

Edit: although it's just me.  I have a friend who plays this game who prefers POTBS combat bc the skills make it more unpredictable whereas I hate all the buffs/debuffs, etc of POTBS

• Like 10

2 minutes ago, Anne Wildcat said:

Personally I'd love if they got rid of mods and skill books completely. Let the ship, wood type, and cannons you chose and your skill determine your outcome. :)

Have all the options listed on the crafting sheet and not as separate cards. Meaning several dropdown lists, one per each component of the ship, structure, planking, rig, extra 1, extra 2, extra 3, crew contract, etc.

Calculate final requirements of crafting according to options.

Done. Everyone has a go at it.

No more forcing pve because it is almost the only way to get those.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, fox2run said:

PvP is too hard to get compared to other games. When you finally get a SOL going then you need to participate in teen talks on ts to get into a port battle.

Naaah. Guess legends could do it, maybe?

indeed, the hole council, official portbattle leaders, and the hole acting school in a nation keeps you from playing a portbattle.

and when you play a portbattle where you raised hostility but you are not on teamspeak then you get the hole nation chasing you down and saying you are rogue or an alt account.

greets