Game-Labs Forum

Forthcoming patch final discussion.

3 minutes ago, Slim Jimmerson said:

yes

In what way?

PC games make players create their own freedom and reality and makes things possible that are impossible in real life. Thats whats fun. To make a system where a group of players rule over other group of players make the latter leave tha game. Thats one of the main reasons why NA are bleeding players. RvR are doomed to fail in all ways. Common players - how dedicated we can be - do not want to have a role of serfdom in our spare time. Forget it!

Just now, fox2run said:

In what way?

PC games make players create their own freedom and reality and makes things possible that are impossible in real life. Thats whats fun. To make a system where a group of players rule over other group of players make the latter leave tha game. Thats one of the main reasons why NA are bleeding players. RvR are doomed to fail in all ways. Common players - how dedicated we can be - do not want to have a role of serfdom in our spare time. Forget it!

Its adds depth.

RVR is doomed because is smaller scale than OW pvp which I made a nice suggestion for a fix

Just now, fox2run said:

RvR=a bunch of teens with napoleonic dreams and too much sparetime

Why on earth should my gameplay be affected by such a gang? Not gonna happen.

What the hell are you talking about ? No one here is a teenager.  Do you know what teenagers actually do these days? They're on that latest social media thing with their phones, where you send each other images and they vibrate or something and we just have no idea at all what's going on or why anyone would waste their time on that. Or they're at the mall.

• Like 3

You guys are totally nuts. A battles is what attacts players to a Naval Action game. Not taxes or sailing around in a trader for hours. 

Change the title or change the game, please.

3 minutes ago, Quineloe said:

What the hell are you talking about ? No one here is a teenager.  Do you know what teenagers actually do these days? They're on that latest social media thing with their phones, where you send each other images and they vibrate or something and we just have no idea at all what's going on or why anyone would waste their time on that. Or they're at the mall.

Are you telling me that adults are sitting on hours on end with a mic and trying to rule over other guys with their self-proclaimed kingdom? OMG - say no more.

14 minutes ago, fox2run said:

PC games make players create their own freedom and reality and makes things possible that are impossible in real life. Thats whats fun. To make a system where a group of players rule over other group of players make the latter leave tha game.

5 minutes ago, fox2run said:

A battles is what attacts players to a Naval Action game.

I read a contradiction in terms here. A battle makes a group of players rule over another group of players. By their own freedom and reality they engage into battle.

5 minutes ago, fox2run said:

Change the title or change the game, please.

May I provide the option of you changing game? Naval Action Legends

Edited by Skully
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, DrZoidberg said:

Because they dont care about players opinion. Just that happened with the repair system. We got a no repair battle system, most of players liked that, they wrote this, but developers just changed thier mind, and implement reapir system back without any doubt :). 

repairs were a player requested feature

• Like 7

1 hour ago, mikawa said:

Live Oak only makes sense when AI fighting ...

I don't even like it for that or defense port battles.  I have a few 1st rates that are Wo/Wo but the heaviest I go is normally Teak/Wo for anything. 

1 hour ago, Celtiberofrog said:

We do not know when this wipe will be released, ok fair enough.

Plz confirm if ships, gold, XP & ressources will be preserved.

Thx

This is a port reset only, nothing you own like ships, gold or xp will be lost.  Though your outpost and buildings might be refunded back to you and some items given back as redeemable, devs haven't gotten into those details yet.  I would assume it would be handled much like how they did when the Regional Patch came out.

1 hour ago, z4ys said:

But would you struggle to get it when you could substitute it with a wood that is 1. Closer 2. Easier to get 3. Safer ?

Out of my own experience. I would have used cedar teak for my raiding ships but because it was to far away and not easy to get I used fir teak and never have spent a thought about cedar again.

Do you make all your ships out of Oak/Fir cause those are the only resources you can get in starting capital regions.   Cedar well now we have a prime example of a rare resources.  Lets say my clan captures Bermuda, Flatt's  The only place you can get Bermuda Cedar from.  We can set it Pirate and than tax it so that any one that is Pirate can use it and or smuggler flag, but if we are smart we would set it to Neutral.  Let every one make an out post there and set the tax real high so even alts have to pay the same tax's as every one else and we make profit off all the Cedar bought from the port no matter what nation the players are form.  

1 hour ago, Peter Goldman said:

I would rather have more players doing and enjoying PvP and rewards with few idiots farming it than no one doing PvP at all. You can't have a cake and eat the cake.

For me rare resources mean:

Copper, Silver, Gold, Live Oak, White Oak, Bermuda, Teak and all those Crooked Cedars, Bovenwinds, Cartagena Tar etc.

That is pretty much what I assume when they mean there will be rare resources in the capture regions.  The none capture will have your Oak, Fir, Lith, Iron, Hemp, stone and Sugar and that is prob it.   We will have to wait and see though. 

8 minutes ago, Peter Goldman said:

We have already taxes for putting contracts and selling ships, but I think you didn't notice them, maybe you're blind? But these taxes are not received by any players, money just disappears. Lowering taxes in some ports will actually attract more players and will give a good reason for RvR and protecting ports :) Big clans ensuring safety in area and protecting traders & PvE'rs from hostiles for bigger tax income. Does it make sense for you?

At the moment I have 0 reasons to protect traders and PvE'rs from my nation.

I can't wait until Legends comes out, that seems more the game he wants and should be worried about though he keeps trying to pop in and make this game that game.  This si not the solo player game.  He wants that and instant fights he will be getting legends.  

I'm actually looking forward to these new changes as long as they work on fixing the other problems too.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DrZoidberg said:

This system is so chaotic.

13 minutes ago, admin said:

repairs were a player requested feature

I have to agree with @DrZoidberg here. It is very hard to find reason behind some changes.

Personally I like the current repair system and have been happily using it to fit my own play style (logistics). I don't like it in battle, it makes it too easy in 3 vs 1 scenarios.

But I have no clue why it was changed. (Apart from requested by players.) Was there something wrong with the old? Lack of knowledge, skill? Or just preference?

Edited by Skully

8 minutes ago, Quineloe said:

On a subjective statement about fun? U srs?

You're right. @Schuetzengel had to point out to me that some people pay to do things I consider boring.

Fox is annoying as hell, but PvP is the biggest attraction of OW and I agree with him pointing it out.

My sense of fun is inversely exponential to the amount of depth and eco there is.

I feel obligated to push back at eco stuff. I recruited five guys from wotlabs.net to this game. They loved it. They quit because of lack of PvP and no sense of fun in ecogrind.

Anectode, I know. But what if you guys overestimate how many people get fun out of it?

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, Peter Goldman said:

Repairs are good imho, I like that change. Makes battles more dynamic and last longer. Gives a chance for damaged ships to repair and get back to fight later. The only issue I find is that repair cooldown is too short (10 minutes). It should be 15 minutes in my opinion after long testing. It will make chases easier, as for now as soon as we are getting a player down to 70-80% sails during chase, he just pulls another repair slipping away again and usually chase ends up with draw, unless enemy runs out of rig repairs. Also it's hard to kill port battle very tanky ships if they can repair every 10 minutes. It forces at least 3-4 players to focus one ship for 10 minutes in order to kill.

It should take 3-4 players to focus on one target to sink it, but if your taking 10 mins your doing something wrong. 

42 minutes ago, Quineloe said:

I wonder if anyone specifically requested being able to repair every 10 minutes for 1/3 of your armor so that in many situations ships are simply unsinkable.

On test bed I told them it was to fast and they moved it to 15 mins.  The whole time I told the 12 mins would be the sweat spot.  They moved it back to 10 but made cool downs shared. I still think it should be about 12 mins.  I think 15 can be to long, remember not every one has repair perks and mods on there ship to get that 1/3 or more back.  Maybe it's time to try to meet that sweet spot and bump it up to 12 mins.

1 minute ago, Peter Goldman said:

Repairs are good imho, I like that change. Makes battles more dynamic and last longer. Gives a chance for damaged ships to repair and get back to fight later. The only issue I find is that repair cooldown is too short (10 minutes). It should be 15 minutes in my opinion after long testing. It will make chases easier, as for now as soon as we are getting a player down to 70-80% sails during chase, he just pulls another repair slipping away again and usually chase ends up with draw, unless enemy runs out of rig repairs. Also it's hard to kill port battle very tanky ships if they can repair every 10 minutes. It forces at least 3-4 players to focus one ship for 10 minutes in order to kill.

we are thinking of tweaking cool downs and maybe increasing the weight of repairs - increasing the importance of choice for repairs that you carry with you. 

• Like 6

29 minutes ago, Peter Goldman said:

Naval Action Legends, ever heard of that? Now, please leave this forum section with your shitposting and apply to the new title coming soon. No taxes, no trading, no crafting - just battles. All that you need.

Naval Action Legends is not what he payed for, please understand him as well. This game needs more casual player friendly content asap. Legends is more like a tool to send one kind of people one way and the rest another way while saying it's free. 

In my opinion Legends will hurt NA even more than ever before. 

Edited by George Washington
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, Peter Goldman said:

He gets NA Legends for free so whats the problem? And as I mentioned above, more PvE and casual players friendly changes are coming. Less grind, safety non-RvR areas and reinforcements.

He payed for NA way before NA Legends was introduced. He did not ask for Legends. So, have respect for all opinions please. For example I don't give rats about Legends and never will, my main focus is NA. If I would ever pay real money it would only be in NA and not Legends. 

• Like 2

I mostly agree with Peter Goldman's sentiments.

I will add- a server merge is 100% needed. Population is too low on NA EU - not only is it impossible to find a fight, but the economy is starting to break a bit due to low population. Its been ages since I was able to buy certain items.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, admin said:

we are thinking of tweaking cool downs and maybe increasing the weight of repairs - increasing the importance of choice for repairs that you carry with you. 

46 minutes ago, Intrepido said:

It is needed to increase the cooldowns.

Also availability and price of repairs in ports. It is annoying to get the needed repairs, always looking for them at every port, always returning to port for resupply... less fun, less pvp.

Repairs are the easiest material to produce (a good source of incoming for a (beginning) crafter/trader), yet the hardest to get to the right spot.

On 8/22/2017 at 4:16 PM, Skully said:

The game is very lacking in offering information to traders w.r.t. player needs.

Campaigning in enemy waters should be expensive, but in no way crippling someone from playing the game. Currently I'm also on the US coast with very little repairs.

I could put up a buy contract, but chances of it being filled are very low. Even if I put up a fair price. 

On the other hand, it is very easy to craft repairs and very good income for (low level) players.

So first the game should provide better information on player contracts outstanding.

Second I think avatar TP from Free Towns is must. You should not get stuck somewhere where you can no longer provide to action. You should be able to get back to a place where you can.

1 hour ago, jodgi said:

You're right. @Schuetzengel had to point out to me that some people pay to do things I consider boring.

That's the key. A good game let's you do whatever you would like to do while not forcing you to do all other things what you don't want to (this is my main problem with Elite Dangerous or LOTRO for example).

If you enjoy crafting, do it without the need of fighting, if you enjoy pvp, do it without forced to trade, and so on.

I understand that  its hard achieve, not to mention that it is my opinion.

• Like 6

I always wondered if open global shop would help solve problems with lack of product quantities in ports. If people could see sale history and able to check product availability from any port in the world then these people would do heavy trade runs over and over again. So, it seems problem that is causing deficit of supplies is caused by closed market and lack of information. By closed markets I mean they only available if you are in that port. If players don't know what port needs or what's in port warehouse economy will never function properly and word Trader will be as rare as 1st rates in this game.  

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Staniol said:

If you enjoy crafting, do it without the need of fighting, if you enjoy pvp, do it without forced to trade, and so on.

As I understand it, that's impossible.

If PvP'ers can fight without partaking in any upkeep save a trivial amount, eco breaks down. Or so they tell me.

Also, loss wouldn't matter, and that is somehow terrible to some people.

Actually it's worse. Pve-ecocrafters can play that game 24/7 without doing any pvp. Pure-pvp'ers aren't so lucky.

16 hours ago, Quineloe said:

500k is an absurd figure, similar to 500 gold per crew member used to be.

Admin was also saying that sinking a single NPC Victory would yield 400k.

If that's the case then a lot of small clans will find 500k per day to be very affordable. All you need is one dude with a 1st rate who does 2 missions per day and the cost is more than covered.

But you're right that most of the map will go neutral.

I'm not sure that's a bad thing, though. It's realistic given our population. If nobody is using a port, it SHOULD be neutral.

• Like 5