Game-Labs Forum

okay devs since you decided that every single town in this game needs fortresses and towers this makes certain nations impossible to pvp against. SWEEDEN for example. there is nowhere within the main body of sweeden that is more than 5mins away from a fortress. therefore it is impossible to tag a sweed without them being able to run to a fortress. So I know you have decided that open world PVP doesn't need to be a part of the game already.... but perhaps you can fix this problem until you roll our your new port battle system. since apparently all pvp is considered ganking. so for the mean time take out the 1500 forts you have established in the carribean

Edited by King of Crowns
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, King of Crowns said:

okay devs since you decided that every single town in this game needs fortresses and towers this makes certain nations impossible to pvp against. SWEEDEN for example. there is nowhere within the main body of sweeden that is more than 5mins away from a fortress. therefore it is impossible to tag a sweed without them being able to run to a fortress. So I know you have decided that open world PVP doesn't need to be a part of the game already.... but perhaps you can fix this problem until you roll our your new port battle system. since apparently all pvp is considered ganking. so for the mean time take out the 1500 forts you have established in the carribean

For once we agree on something. I don't mind towers and forts around the regional capitals but around every single port is not only unrealistic but ruining gameplay. And while we're at it - remove the green zones around capitals.. After they introduced the forts and towers the green zone is really no longer necessary.

4 hours ago, Peter Goldman said:

Apparently all towns have forts. Some places looks like Maginot Line. This is just total madness, not forgeting all dread fleets of 25 SOLs in one fleet just passing by... That's why so many PvP'rs are camping Free Towns. Very little fleets if none at all, no forts, no towers. Traders love free towns for income. But is ambushing traders at free towns really that kind of PvP that we want?

With the new conquest system, I say that clans need to crowd-fund coastal defenses. For example pay 10m gold for fort and they need to pay upkeep costs of it each week or so to maintain it in good condition. Towers might be 5m gold. Fleets around could be hired too, but if none are hired, there should be very little and few fleets.

I like this idea alot. This should be in game already...

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Peter Goldman said:

That's you showing off and sounding like you did something impressive, but you didn't. In fact, I'm sure KoC would have more worth attention screenshots than you.

I'm showing off something that is equal to the playstyle of @King of Crowns. Now prove me wrong.

2 minutes ago, Skully said:

I'm showing off something that is equal to the playstyle of @King of Crowns. Now prove me wrong.

And this matters for the fort balance in OW how exactly? Forts hinder small scale pvp but have much less effect against a gank fleet... thats why they should be removed from most ports but enabled to be bought by clans so they can build up defenses in their ports but for a price so they whole map isnt littered with fortifications disrupting pvp even at some backwater port.

• Like 1

Some areas like Antilles are really crap for pvp. Danes can run from virgin islands  to their capital without fear. As soon they are in tag range (because you have to hide otherwise they stay in port) and the ultra long tag timer that isn't related to OW speed is running down they are able to pop into port or so close to forts that it would be madness to keep attacking. Same for swedes. Even for French.

And the best part: mostly all ports that have basic ship crafting materials are within these zones.

To get someone tagge at these areas he must be AFK or a newbie who has no clue what he is doing.

So it's just protection for vets who are not supposed to be protected.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, z4ys said:

So it's just protection for vets [& carebears ] who are not supposed to be protected.

This is pretty much what everyone with half a brain can understand. Many new players and low ranks probably don't even know the forts help them.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, BallsOfSteel said:
10 hours ago, King of Crowns said:

since apparently all pvp is considered ganking

It is when you are only hunting traders.

gank
ɡaŋk/
verb
USinformal
gerund or present participle: ganking
  1. 1.
    take or steal (something).
    "if I have the money, I won't have to gank the books"
    •  

2. 2.
    (in a video game) use underhand means to defeat or kill (a less experienced opponent)

Unless you talk about stealing the cargo :P

I only hear frustrated hunters who go out into enemy waters vs frustrated traders who are getting ganked in friendly waters. Sounds like balance to me.

I showed the offset: hunt in packs or conquer the ports. Or maybe it's being better at maneuvers aka skill.

Everyone knows the forts and their risks, thus folks will seek advantage by drawing the enemy near. Probably to offset their lack of courage or skill, who knows?

Everyone has a choice, choose risk or safety.

28 minutes ago, Skully said:

I only hear frustrated hunters who go out into enemy waters vs frustrated traders who are getting ganked in friendly waters. Sounds like balance to me.

I showed the offset: hunt in packs or conquer the ports. Or maybe it's being better at maneuvers aka skill.

Everyone knows the forts and their risks, thus folks will seek advantage by drawing the enemy near. Probably to offset their lack of courage or skill, who knows?

Everyone has a choice, choose risk or safety.

It is not balanced.

Right now, hunting is far easier than defeding against hunting. Using the SPEED and INVIS after a battle, combined with DEFENSIVE TAGS and SUPER-FAST ships, you cannot really defend against a hunter pack.

The balance was off directly after the wipe in favour of revenge fleets, now it is off in favour of gankers.

22 minutes ago, shaeberle84 said:

Right now, hunting is far easier than defeding against hunting. Using the SPEED and INVIS after a battle, combined with DEFENSIVE TAGS and SUPER-FAST ships, you cannot really defend against a hunter pack.

I agree that speed and invisibility are broken constructs, so is troll tagging. But that is not the subject at hand.

Find a fort, apparently that works. :)

18 minutes ago, Skully said:

I agree that speed and invisibility are broken constructs, so is troll tagging. But that is not the subject at hand.

Find a fort, apparently that works. :)

Okay sorry.

I think forts are okay. If you have highly populated areas, there are many players, but also many forts. This is fine for me.

If you want to hunt people in this areas, you just need more or harder ships. It is no problem to kill somebody under a fort with 3 connies.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Peter Goldman said:

Every game has different meanings for gank and we are clearly using the MMO games definition of ganking, not real life so you're purely ignorant.

If every player ties different meanings to definitions, how can we ever agree on mechanics? :D

Edited by Skully
typo

@Peter Goldman can we agree on?

On 8/2/2016 at 2:02 PM, Skully said:

The definitive Battle Screen Ganking Guide

First of all we establish our main strategy here. It basically boils down to Guerre de Course. Although we won't limit ourselves to simple traders, but rather anything that is an economical target.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Naval_strategy#Introduction_of_the_guerre_de_course

We also ensure that we have the upper hand continously. Defeat in detail works both ways, so we must always keep the initiative.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Defeat_in_detail

We forgetting the mortar brig who is specially designed for it

it all just needs.... a closer look ,just for better task and opportunity of certain mechanic for specific ship stake

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Thonys said:

We forgetting the mortar brig who is specially designed for it

It's just not fast enough to be part of a hunter fleet. If it was I think it would make a great addition and perfect counter to forts.

(Bring in the historians to ruin a good gameplay option please. :P)

2 minutes ago, Skully said:

It's just not fast enough to be part of a hunter fleet. If it was I think it would make a great addition and perfect counter to forts.

(Bring in the historians to ruin a good gameplay option please. :P)

in that case there is a adjustment needed for a certain ship or other vessel