Game-Labs Forum

13 hours ago, Anolytic said:

I haven't watched the video to figure out exactly what is the case here...

Well, you should have.
I'm not complaining about the LGV being used for hunting.
It is the things these fellers do, that are absolutely annoying - like speed-running from a Combat right into our own capital port,
where they then hide, using the SMUGGLER FLAG.
Sorry, but that is just so wrong. Maybe PIRATES should be able to do things like that - and only Pirates.
But ships from another NATION?

Edited by Wolfram Harms

6 hours ago, Prater said:

There is good reason for this, because prior the game was Trireme or Ironclad action.  Massive damage on ramming should not come back, otherwise that is all everyone will do (again).  Ramming was never a tactic and should never be encouraged.  The only way to do that is to have it do practically nothing.

There is something inbetween no damage and massive damage. Im not saying it should be a tactic. But when two ships ram into each, frontal with high speed, this should atleast have some effect to not create another weird situation.  

Thats something you can balance to be a good compromise between realism and gameplay, and i wouldnt list it if this would be the case. If the guy that frontal initiates ramming e.g. suffers more damage, especially against larger ships, you dont promote ramming tactics.

Whatever you implement, be it smuggler flags or ram damage/no ram damage, people will always do their best to cheese the hell out of it.

Legends is looking more and more appealing every day where hopefully there will be fewer avenues for such crap.

1 hour ago, Aegir said:

Legends is looking more and more appealing every day where hopefully there will be fewer avenues for such crap.

Is that a game - Legends?

3 minutes ago, Wolfram Harms said:

Is that a game - Legends?

Naval Action : Legends (working title).

You know, the spinoff game of NA without the OW?

A humble suggestion to counteract the issue shown in this thread:

Do not allow smugglers flag as long you have broadside cannons.

That would fix the issue outed in here....

16 hours ago, admin said:

With un capturable ports i think it might be a great idea to just removed smuggler. 

Isn't the goal of Naval Action Legends, take away all Open World options until you are left with a pure battle?

3 hours ago, Fargo said:

There is something inbetween no damage and massive damage. Im not saying it should be a tactic. But when two ships ram into each, frontal with high speed, this should atleast have some effect to not create another weird situation.  

Thats something you can balance to be a good compromise between realism and gameplay, and i wouldnt list it if this would be the case. If the guy that frontal initiates ramming e.g. suffers more damage, especially against larger ships, you dont promote ramming tactics.

We already tried that.  It didnt work.  How do you know who initiates the ram?

17 hours ago, admin said:

With un capturable ports i think it might be a great idea to just removed smuggler. 

Or limit the smuggler flag to trade ships without cannons and no smuggler flag if there is combat ship in the fleet.

10 hours ago, sveno said:

A humble suggestion to counteract the issue shown in this thread:

Do not allow smugglers flag as long you have broadside cannons.

That would fix the issue outed in here....

No, part of the appeal of the LGV in the first place was its fine ability to defend itself at the sacrifice of some speed.  If you take away the guns you take away the defense.  However, I agree that using it with the smuggler's flag to battle and then run into a nearby enemy port seems to be a purposeful abuse of this ship's abilities.

19 hours ago, koltes said:

I'm not a trader, but as far as I remember during my hunting LGVs and Indiaman have definitely had guns on them.

Yeah from what I remember the Traders Lynx and Traders Cutter had no guns, the Traders Brig had rear cannon only, Traders Snow had 3 broadside cannon only, LGV had perhaps 11 broadside, and Indiaman was armed but I don't recall how much.

Maybe implement a cooldown, like the 'recently killed'-tag? Wait x-amount of time after a battle (if offensive) before you can enter an enemy port?

Leave the traders some guns, they are already slower, have less bookslots, have less crew and less guns. What kind of a shitty raider are you if you can't win from a tradingvessel? Because traders love to just keel over and die ...

On 18.8.2017 at 3:08 PM, Prater said:

We already tried that.  It didnt work.  How do you know who initiates the ram?

Usually the one that hits with the bow?! Going bow to bow you can always avoid ramming.

I havent seem much experimenting as far as i remember. They increased it so much that friendly ships accidentially sank each other, and totally nerved it again. 

4 minutes ago, Fargo said:

Usually the one that hits with the bow?! Going bow to bow you can always avoid ramming.

I havent seem much experimenting as far as i remember. They increased it so much that friendly ships accidentially sank each other, and totally nerved it again. 

They let go of realism here about 45 seconds after down time. :lol:

Killswitch sailed into battle with his Victory. We warned him of the changed mechanics and he sunk within 1 minute of the battle having started.

15 hours ago, Fargo said:

Ok, so the person who hits with the bow is the rammer.  So we punish them, so then, once again, people start causing rams by causing people to ram into them.  We've already been down this road and it didn't solve the problem.

You haven't seen much experimenting because you have only been around since Early Access.  We aren't going to go back and test the same exact things just because you weren't around and didn't see the experimenting.

Edited by Prater

5 hours ago, Prater said:

Ok, so the person who hits with the bow is the rammer.  So we punish them, so then, once again, people start causing rams by causing people to ram into them.  We've already been down this road and it didn't solve the problem.

You haven't seen much experimenting because you have only been around since Early Access.  We aren't going to go back and test the same exact things just because you weren't around and didn't see the experimenting.

Im not asking for ramming tactics, just a few leaks to make it halfway plausible. There is absolutely no problem with that.

People are already trying to break peoples bow sprite by making you ram into them, its not that easy and noone uses it as a major tactic. Serious leak damage would require more speed than to break the bow sprite. You can simply avoid damage by slowing down, while in general there should be more use for battlesails.

When serious testing happened, why did they "test" it again and in such a bad way? And why isnt there a plausible solution since early access? 

7 hours ago, Fargo said:

Im not asking for ramming tactics, just a few leaks to make it halfway plausible. There is absolutely no problem with that.

People are already trying to break peoples bow sprite by making you ram into them, its not that easy and noone uses it as a major tactic. Serious leak damage would require more speed than to break the bow sprite. You can simply avoid damage by slowing down, while in general there should be more use for battlesails.

When serious testing happened, why did they "test" it again and in such a bad way? And why isnt there a plausible solution since early access? 

If there are any leaks, it is a problem.  This is what you don't understand.  Instead of allowing people to capture them, people would turn off survival, ram, and let their ship sink.  It doesn't matter how fast the leak is, all they would do is turn off survival, ram or cause a ram, and sink.  How many ships sank during this period because they rammed or were rammed?  How many ships purposefully rammed at all to cause damage or caused others to ram into them?  What you are asking for we already had, and people abused it, so it was taken away, and rightly so.  This isn't Trireme Action or Ironclad Action.  In real life, all the masts would go to the wayside in a ram, not massive structural damage that causes the ship to sink.  Ships typically didn't travel fast enough to cause major structural damage that would cause the ship to sink.

Edited by Prater

This ship can also get into most shallow water ports in the game too.  Not all, but with the right entry location and a little finagling it can get in.

On 8/29/2017 at 1:52 PM, Jean Ribault said:

This ship can also get into most shallow water ports in the game too.  Not all, but with the right entry location and a little finagling it can get in.

Sssshhhhhhhhh!