Game-Labs Forum

If you watch this video - "Le Gros Power" - you will see what is possible to do in NAVAL ACTION, when you only just use all gameplay mechanics smart.

This is not an accusation against the players who made this video - I just want everyone to see how many things can be done in NA,
which at least I do not regard as "right" or anyhow "realistic".
(Sorry for my rude words in battle, Captain Reverse - you just did what can be done. Clever idea even, to come with high-speed LGVs like that.
But I find this is far over the top and shouldn't be possible at all)

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/167447882

Edited by Wolfram Harms

Not sure what you are trying to show in either video.. the nearly 2 hour long one, or the 30min long one.  

The shorter one just looked like two people who didnt know how to board fighting each other in a boarding action.   

So they joined battle as a Pirate, but attacked the Pirates, using the game mechanics that allow Pirates to attack pirates?

Edited by seanjo

Lgv is cool in the speed meta thats going on. It has good upwind profile and solid base speed and THFREE SLOTS!

Edited by Wigermo

The long video, named "Le Gros Power".

The game is getting weirder and weirder with each change. No wonder that newbies often don't stay long.

Nothing wrong with the LGV, it is a great ship.   I have used it once or twice for hunting.  

I haven't watched the video to figure out exactly what is the case here, but there is nothing wrong with a trading ship like the LGV being repurposed as a trap or an unexpected hunting ship. Most pirate ships afaik were captured ships that the pirate put a few more guns on or otherwise repurposed for privateering. Devs have specifically encouraged this kind of thing by allowing us to put guns on trade ships that used to not have guns. I have seen quite a few privateering players using the trader lynx to maximum effect with guns on them. And I've even myself surprised a few people who attacked my trader brig and didn't expect me to shoot back.

Many warships were merchant ships fitted out for battle, especially American privateers.  There is nothing strange about using merchant ships as warships in the least.  Using the LGV as a pvp ship isn't exactly unique in Naval Action either.  Good polars, good speed, good crew to gun ratio.  Naval Phasmid (and here).  Perfect for pvp.

Edited by Prater

39 minutes ago, Wolfram Harms said:

The long video, named "Le Gros Power".

The game is getting weirder and weirder with each change. No wonder that newbies often don't stay long.

Sir, what do you mean with "getting weird" ?

It would really help if you can express yourself more completely about the video ( especially what to look for ) and what is "weird", so all of us can assess the situation.

2 hours ago, Wolfram Harms said:

If you watch this video - "Le Gros Power" - you will see what is possible to do in NAVAL ACTION, when you only just use all gameplay mechanics smart.

This is not an accusation against the players who made this video - I just want everyone to see how many things can be done in NA,
which at least I do not regard as "right" or anyhow "realistic".

What unrealistic is about losing most of your crew by raking fire through stern?

If you check the numbers on the video - OK = outside kills. You were just raked multiple times. Victory killed 400 men in one rake during trafalgar. You lost more than half by rakes. 
+ 3v1 is very hard even against rattlesnakes. 

And please don't say it is unrealistic. Your actual battle (and yes i watched it just now )was captured on the painting in the 18th century (18th century twitch).
Can you imagine that?

piIP14o.jpg
"Capture of the french heavy ship by royal navy light privateers"
Charles Brooking (1723-1759) 
So what are you talking about when saying weird or unrealistic?

Btw.. you fought well. everyone sinks sometime. 

The one thing that is absurd about the LGV is that it can "hide" in enemy ports. We had to spend hours blockading our own port becouse enemy LGVs were in there.

14 minutes ago, Demsity said:

The one thing that is absurd about the LGV is that it can "hide" in enemy ports. We had to spend hours blockading our own port becouse enemy LGVs were in there.

With un capturable ports i think it might be a great idea to just removed smuggler. 

2 minutes ago, admin said:

With un capturable ports i think it might be a great idea to just removed smuggler. 

I agree, Smugglers flag serves little to no purpose as it is.

23 minutes ago, admin said:

Does this mean finally rip mods or will all nations get the resources for them?

or make admiralty throw smugglers out every now and then and ban from said port for a while

Edited by Wigermo

2 hours ago, admin said:

Cases of players using trader ships for pvp and hiding in ports are more like a rare occurrence.

Cases of people trading in enemy ports are a regular thing. Pretty much everyone involved in that. What will happen with your entire trading / economy model if you remove smuggler? What will happen with a nation which has only permanent land left. No trading at all? No way to recover?

I just want to know if smuggler will be removed, what are you planning to do with the trader profession. How traders will be able to trade? I'm a solo hunter and understanding trader's mentality is imperative for my gameplay. Removal of smuggler will narrow trader's option to only trade in his nation's ports that not necessary will provide grounds for any decent trade routes. 

Edited by koltes

1 hour ago, admin said:

Dont know what he ment, but thats what i see:

• They spawn right into the battle after jumping a mission. 
  • They can join missions without people inside having a chance to see/dodge them before the mission starts, or to escape.
  • 9pds are not able to penetrate another 5th rate (Even 12 pds are pretty useless against armoured 5th rates).
  • Too accurate cannons, effective rakes and demasting possible on distance. 
  • Weird crew regeneration (A surgeon would constantly and slowly replenish a limited amount of crew).
  • Masts get instantly repaired back to 100%, without any penalty, multiple times.
  • Massiv ramming causing basically no damage, and not even a single leak.
  • They hide in enemy ports. (Okay obvious an unexpected problem only with the ventre)
  • Nobody able to intercept these guys before they dock (RoE doesnt allow interception).
  • Forts dont care.
  • Weird BR tag restrictions.
  • Shooting a ship that gets boarded would kill crew from both sides.
  • Cannons shooting water melon sized balls.
  • Speedcap and defensive tags allow even ventres to be uncatchable.
  • "Boarding only" ships are probably unrealistic too. They were fitted for boarding and it happened alot, but they did not gave up all combat capability for that. Just that its possible to build such ships makes no sense.

6 hours ago, Wigermo said:

Lgv is cool in the speed meta thats going on. It has good upwind profile and solid base speed and THFREE SLOTS!

I haven't done it since the patch, but pre-patch I had a trader hunters that was an LVG that could run down just about anything other trader and was coplete board fit with all gold mods.   I have taken a few war ships with it too. My fav thing was to pretend to be AFK and when they tag you pop the board prep.  Don't put sails up or anything.  Most folks will rush to get a board on the AFK ship and not even try to break your crew down or get a proper prep up.  Than bang they are hit by a board prep Pirate Refit all gold mod with Marines (I liked using the purples over gold) that pretty much will one shot them since they had zero to no board mods.  It only works a few times and folks that don't know better, but it was a sneaky trick.  I been thinking about toying with doing the same, but every one knows my two main pirates names.  Maybe I'll have to set my crafter pirate up like that for a trap some time.

4 hours ago, admin said:

Why doesn't Smuggler treat folks like Pirates like it use to?  Meaning any one can attack you while you have the smuggler flag on even your own nation?  Go back to this and you will prob see a lot less National use it than you think.  Personally I play a pirate so I always have the smuggler flag on and I think they should get it as a perm perk.

3 hours ago, Fargo said:

Massiv ramming causing basically no damage, and not even a single leak

There is good reason for this, because prior the game was Trireme or Ironclad action.  Massive damage on ramming should not come back, otherwise that is all everyone will do (again).  Ramming was never a tactic and should never be encouraged.  The only way to do that is to have it do practically nothing.

Edited by Prater

4 hours ago, koltes said:

Cases of players using trader ships for pvp and hiding in ports are more like a rare occurrence.

Cases of people trading in enemy ports are a regular thing. Pretty much everyone involved in that. What will happen with your entire trading / economy model if you remove smuggler? What will happen with a nation which has only permanent land left. No trading at all? No way to recover?

I just want to know if smuggler will be removed, what are you planning to do with the trader profession. How traders will be able to trade? I'm a solo hunter and understanding trader's mentality is imperative for my gameplay. Removal of smuggler will narrow trader's option to only trade in his nation's ports that not necessary will provide grounds for any decent trade routes. 

smugglers just shouldn't be allowed into enemy ports with cannons. (back to how it was when traders couldn't carry them)

45 minutes ago, znôrt said:

smugglers just shouldn't be allowed into enemy ports with cannons. (back to how it was when traders couldn't carry them)

I'm not a trader, but as far as I remember during my hunting LGVs and Indiaman have definitely had guns on them.
Just allow nations to attack their nation smugglers. Also in my opinion trader's fighting ability needs to be nerfed. Turn rates reduced, more crew needed to handle guns, total armor buff from all possible upgrades should be reduced. I have offered to introduced coefficients that says how each (same) upgrades applies to each particular ship, this 10% armor buff upgrade would give 1% to one ship and 5% to another. But this leads to imperfect crafting system.
I always believed that upgrades should have been part of production and applied differently according to type of woods used on the frame and planking.

One thing I can say is that the Prince is definitely an LGV killer.  It is faster than the LGV upwind, has decent crew and armament, and turns really well.  People might not sail it as often once it hits Live.