Game-Labs Forum
admin

Some information on NA Legends. Roadmap and Q&A

@admin

Some constructive feedback from current weekend's play:

Battle balancer seems to be working fairly well although there are occasionally instances when the battle seems unbalanced.

I have encountered ai on my side going into battle then turning and just sailing away from the battle the whole time; had 3 of my ai in one battle sail off together!

It feels like the occurence/regularity of Red rudder is too easy/frequent for this game type with emergency repair at 5min cooldown; gets a bit tiresome and spoils gameplay fun. Maybe the rudder damage model needs tuning down a bit for Legends or maybe shorter emergency repair cooldown.

Seems that what most players are interested in doing is getting in there and fighting the other players and/or ai rather than capturing circles which is great fun, however I understand that having the circles in there is needed for a way to end battles; no problem with that. That being said sometimes circle capture can feel like it prematurely or too rapidly ends a battle. Had one instance with a player in it on the other side where it was just our two home circles; he sailed off into our circle and it was over way too quickly before i could get to him and engage him and the circle; maybe the circle counter ran up too quickly - seemed like once he had captured it there was no time after that available to challenge, the battle just ended; ie he didnt need to hold it for x time after capture it seemed.

When I enter battle instance and when coming out of battle the game is resizing my window on my monitor (or is windows 10 doing it?). This is hiding the chat boxes down in my windows toolbar so every time i have to resize my window again to have access to chat on Docks window and resize to see compass fully in battle window. Don't know if its how i have my resolution set but its a bit frustrating having to keep resizing my game window.

Nice to have Rig repair available, 15min cooldown seems to make sense. Please can we have Hull repair too in your next Update. :)

Would love to have the M key for map active as per regular Naval Action; using TAB is ok but the info you can gleam from that is minimal and using Alt key is only giving damage info on ships approx 500m radius. Having the map available on M with info as per regular Naval Action would be great.

Would be nice to be able to see other chat windows during battle, not just battle chat.

Overall Legends is great fun and looks really good; you've done a great job so far, really enjoying it! :) 

Edited by PaladinFX
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, PaladinFX said:

@admin

Some constructive feedback from current weekend's play:

Battle balancer seems to be working fairly well although there are occasionally instances when the battle seems unbalanced.

I have encountered ai on my side going into battle then turning and just sailing away from the battle the whole time; had 3 of my ai in one battle sail off together!

It feels like the occurence/regularity of Red rudder is too easy/frequent for this game type with emergency repair at 5min cooldown; gets a bit tiresome and spoils gameplay fun. Maybe the rudder damage model needs tuning down a bit for Legends or maybe shorter emergency repair cooldown.

Seems that what most players are interested in doing is getting in there and fighting the other players and/or ai rather than capturing circles which is great fun, however I understand that having the circles in there is needed for a way to end battles; no problem with that. That being said sometimes circle capture can feel like it prematurely or too rapidly ends a battle. Had one instance with a player in it on the other side where it was just our two home circles; he sailed off into our circle and it was over way too quickly before i could get to him and engage him and the circle; maybe the circle counter ran up too quickly - seemed like once he had captured it there was no time after that available to challenge, the battle just ended; ie he didnt need to hold it for x time after capture it seemed.

When I enter battle instance and when coming out of battle the game is resizing my window on my monitor (or is windows 10 doing it?). This is hiding the chat boxes down in my windows toolbar so every time i have to resize my window again to have access to chat on Docks window and resize to see compass fully in battle window. Don't know if its how i have my resolution set but its a bit frustrating having to keep resizing my game window.

Nice to have Rig repair available, 15min cooldown seems to make sense. Please can we have Hull repair too in your next Update. :)

Would love to have the M key for map active as per regular Naval Action; using TAB is ok but the info you can gleam from that is minimal and using Alt key is only giving damage info on ships approx 500m radius. Having the map available on M with info as per regular Naval Action would be great.

Would be nice to be able to see other chat windows during battle, not just battle chat.

Overall Legends is great fun and looks really good; you've done a great job so far, really enjoying it! :) 

Regarding the battle where the other player captured the circle to end the battle, that was probably me and the reason I did it was because you avoided the battle and captured the large fort so when I had taken a lot of damage I took the opportunity to get the win as there was no other way with my damaged condition and rest of the team AI could we win once you had the large fort. Had you not gone for the fort I would have just battled it out, win or lose. If one side use tactics to win the other side will use them too.

The base capture is slow but for that type of map you have to keep an eye on your base because once its captured the countdown to win is very quick unlike the 1000 points battles. You have to always keep an eye on your base and intercept them as soon as they start capturing. Personally I usually prefer just battling it out rather than going for the objectives, but I do keep an eye on what other players are doing. But I hope we dont end up with a meta on some maps where you shred peoples sails and cap the circles for the win with the other team trying to chase against the wind with few sails.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Archaos said:

Regarding the battle where the other player captured the circle to end the battle, that was probably me and the reason I did it was because you avoided the battle and captured the large fort so when I had taken a lot of damage I took the opportunity to get the win as there was no other way with my damaged condition and rest of the team AI could we win once you had the large fort. Had you not gone for the fort I would have just battled it out, win or lose. If one side use tactics to win the other side will use them too.

The base capture is slow but for that type of map you have to keep an eye on your base because once its captured the countdown to win is very quick unlike the 1000 points battles. You have to always keep an eye on your base and intercept them as soon as they start capturing. Personally I usually prefer just battling it out rather than going for the objectives, but I do keep an eye on what other players are doing. But I hope we dont end up with a meta on some maps where you shred peoples sails and cap the circles for the win with the other team trying to chase against the wind with few sails.

Yep I didn't have any issue with your tactics, just how quickly that circle/base capture ended the battle. I also hope we don't end up with a meta that is shred sails and cap circles; the fun is in the battling as you said :)

• Like 1

the reasons WoT was healthy while paying to play with friends is because there were no alternativ at that time.

and alot people did not decide to abbandon a game when they buyed something :\

On 15-8-2017 at 12:05 PM, admin said:

We would like to provide the information on the NA Legends and the short roadmap.

Feature set 

The game is planned as a free to play game on PC.
This will guarantee large amount of players on the start and remove the price obstacle on trying the game. Some of those players might convert to paying users and even try the open world edition as well. 

Monetization
Monetization will be simple and manly using best practices of the industry, but will avoid shady practices. There will be no nickeling and diming in form of ship slots or ammo or other crap F2P style mechanics. 

Things that players will be able to pay for

• Premium account - increasing XP and Money gains (a-la wot and wows)
  • Premium ships (some of which will also be available as tournament or event rewards). Every premium vessel will have a free similar ship available to non-paying users. For example if there is a premium frigate of 34-38 guns, this will mean there there is going to be a free frigate in this gun range.
  • Skins and flags
  • Officer retraining (also available for in game money)

Ships

Standard ship line up will consist of 24 ships including all 1st and 3nd rates that are currently in game (from Lynx to Santisima Trinidad. These 24 ships will be available for free players. Players will be able to unlock ships and buy them in the similar way it was done in original Sea Trials. There will be no premium ships with guns complement above 90+. But there will be ship of the lines given as tournament prizes.

Testing roadmap

NA legends testing will start soon. The testing will be done in 3 stages. 

• Stage 1: We will provide the build for internal testers and some select (without UI) - the goal will be to test stability of instances and major bugs that could arise from Unity 5. Do not worry about getting in at this stage - it is going to las only a week. 
  • Stage 2: Once UI is finished we will provide the access key to all who applied - they will be free to share the access keys with whoever they want as well. 
  • Stage 3: Access will open to all NA owners

Testing will be done on 2-3 game types (maps) with various win conditions and objectives

• One objective - simple meeting engagement with
  • 2 Objectives with forts (capturable) 
  • 3 Objectives - similar to current port battles 

If initial testing runs will be complete and are successful we will take parts of the current OW map tech to event generation providing randomized battles in various locations making every battle unique. In addition to that tournament content will be added in form of weekend automated tournaments (a-la fifa weekend league). 

Once testing is done we will open the access to the general public and work will start to optimize the game for PS4 and XBOX One - we already have the xbox version running but it needs some more optimization.

Please ask questions if you have any. 

Hello , does anyone know wen Legends will be out? I got a whole week vacancy.. and i would love to play Legends the whole vacation :) ?

We would like to provide the information on the NA Legends and the short roadmap.

Feature set 

This will guarantee large amount of players on the start and remove the price obstacle on trying the game. Some of those players might convert to paying users and even try the open world edition as well. 

Monetization
Monetization will be simple and manly using best practices of the industry, but will avoid shady practices. There will be no nickeling and diming in form of ship slots or ammo or other crap F2P style mechanics. 

• Premium ships (some of which will also be available as tournament or event rewards). Every premium vessel will have a free similar ship available to non-paying users. For example if there is a premium frigate of 34-38 guns, this will mean there there is going to be a free frigate in this gun range.
  • Skins and flags

Ships

Standard ship line up will consist of 24 ships including all 1st and 3nd rates that are currently in game (from Lynx to Santisima Trinidad. These 24 ships will be available for free players. Players will be able to unlock ships and buy them in the similar way it was done in original Sea Trials. There will be no premium ships with guns complement above 90+. But there will be ship of the lines given as tournament prizes.

Testing roadmap

• Stage 1: We will provide the build for internal testers and some select (without UI) - the goal will be to test stability of instances and major bugs that could arise from Unity 5. Do not worry about getting in at this stage - it is going to las only a week. 
  • Stage 2: Once UI is finished we will provide the access key to all who applied - they will be free to share the access keys with whoever they want as well. 

Testing will be done on 2-3 game types (maps) with various win conditions and objectives

If initial testing runs will be complete and are successful we will take parts of the current OW map tech to event generation providing randomized battles in various locations making every battle unique. In addition to that tournament content will be added in form of weekend automated tournaments (a-la fifa weekend league). 

Once testing is done we will open the access to the general public and work will start to optimize the game for PS4 and XBOX One - we already have the xbox version running but it needs some more optimization.

So everyone is allowed to play it? Even those who have not buyed naval action? But if you bought the game.. you can sail all ships?

41 minutes ago, GreatTimo said:

So everyone is allowed to play it? Even those who have not buyed naval action? But if you bought the game.. you can sail all ships?

Closed Beta Test is only open to NA owners. Eventually, when the closed beta is over, it will be a separate free to play game. The original testers will probably get some gift (nothing confirmed, just speculating) for the testing, but they will have to unlock the ships like anyone else.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, kumisz said:

Closed Beta Test is only open to NA owners. Eventually, when the closed beta is over, it will be a separate free to play game. The original testers will probably get some gift (nothing confirmed, just speculating) for the testing, but they will have to unlock the ships like anyone else.

I am already in Closed Beta Test , i almost got snow , and you are saying it will be a seperate free to play game , so everyone from the world who have not bought naval action can play it then?

Just now, GreatTimo said:

and you are saying it will be a seperate free to play game , so everyone from the world who have not bought naval action can play it then?

Yes.

• Like 1

Just now, kumisz said:

Yes.

Oh well... on one side i would say.. thats really nice... on the other side.. thats bad. Its nice because we will get easy many players.. on the bad side is that many children will join. And i will not tell the kids on my school about this.. because they are mean. Very mean. They bully the crap out of people.

Just now, GreatTimo said:

Oh well... on one side i would say.. thats really nice... on the other side.. thats bad. Its nice because we will get easy many players.. on the bad side is that many children will join. And i will not tell the kids on my school about this.. because they are mean. Very mean. They bully the crap out of people.

You probably shouldn't worry about immature people. The slow pace of the game turns them off rather quickly from what I saw so far. And the game devs and moderators are not known for their patience with trolls, which I am very thankful for.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, kumisz said:

You probably shouldn't worry about immature people. The slow pace of the game turns them off rather quickly from what I saw so far. And the game devs and moderators are not known for their patience with trolls, which I am very thankful for.

Okey , Thanks! :) 

Feature set 

Monetization

• Skins and flags

Ships

Testing roadmap

Will all ships of the current naval action be in legends too?

is your profile pic a reference about whats going to happen to NA once NAL launched? :D

jokes aside

will it be cross platform?

will it be possible to change the overall look of a ship (bow figures, Flags, Sail colors etc....)

Edited by shr84

is it allowed to upload videos about NAL while it is in early alpha stage? Woud love to show what the "Garage" has in portfolio and some actual gameplay footage.

But woud totally understand if not because its not nearly finished at this stage.

5 hours ago, shr84 said:

is it allowed to upload videos about NAL while it is in early alpha stage? Woud love to show what the "Garage" has in portfolio and some actual gameplay footage.

But woud totally understand if not because its not nearly finished at this stage.

It's allowed, and there are a few videos up.

Here's one for example, though it doesn't show the garage:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uDfm1gKaNNY

5 minutes ago, JagEngland said:

Will this be an open world game like its predecessor or a pure arena combat game?
Thanks.

- Jag

pure arena

On 8/15/2017 at 7:15 AM, Peter Goldman said:

If I won't be able to play in one team with my friends, I won't bother to play Legends, I don't want to play with randoms in same team that don't have a clue how to fight or without battle comms. Most arena games that are F2P allow for free a group of 3-5 players, for more you need premium. 3-5 would be ok for me.

I am not sure this will be as much of an issue as you might think.  Back in Sea Trials there were a ton of new players, myself include that didn't know jack about how to play the game.  There was no grouping, you just dropped into a que until the timer ended and a team was slapped together.  It didn't take long to figure out that you needed skill to actually progress so you learned that skill.  Also  the time you reached a birg or a snow, you had a pretty good idea of how to actually sail and by the time anyone reached Frigates there weren't many issues.

The thing you got to remember is this game isn't like WoT, WoWS or WT where any 5 year old who can use the WASD key and click the mouse buttons can play, you have to actually have a clue and it will weed out anyone not willing to develop some skill at the game. In fact that is my one concern about Legends, that the complexity will weed out too many players and it won't be a profitable game for the devs.  The other worry is that the devs will make the game  more arcade-like to try to attract the more casual player base that doesn't want to have to put any effort into actually learning how to play the game.

• Like 1

Hello all and looking forward to trying this out.  Being a World of Warships player and becoming less of one just a couple of questions.

1 I feel that the stats in WOTS' WOWS can and does make the community toxic after a while, will stats be apart of this game to the degree it is in the others.

2 Also I was wondering do you think there is going to a power creep issue in this like WOT and WOWS and if not why

11 hours ago, Austrum said:

I am not sure this will be as much of an issue as you might think.

It is not only about communications. Never had you any incentive and pleasure to play with your friends?

Yes, the people you like to do in common things with, talk with, enjoy playing with, online or irl. Yeah, the friends.

You maybe alone guy without any friends to play games, however many players like to play their friends for many reasons.

i can bear getting matched with random, i have no problem playing with strangers. However i will favour playing with my friends every time over playing alone with strangers. If we are online and a game wont let us play together, well... we just close that game and go to another one, that's all. Naval Action Legends is not a SP game, as far as i remember.

14 hours ago, Amendus said:

i havent read all pages (sorry) but is there an NDA or something or can I record/stream legends? :)

You are allowed to record/stream