Game-Labs Forum
admin

Some information on NA Legends. Roadmap and Q&A

312_JS    125
5 minutes ago, admin said:

removed small paid groups (unless they are 25 player fleets, just in case we might need it)

I love you.

9 hours ago, admin said:

Things that players will be able to pay for

• Premium account - increasing XP and Money gains (a-la wot and wows)
  • Premium ships (some of which will also be available as tournament or event rewards). Every premium vessel will have a free similar ship available to non-paying users. For example if there is a premium frigate of 34-38 guns, this will mean there there is going to be a free frigate in this gun range.
  • Skins and flags
  • Officer retraining (also available for in game money)

Wow!!! Yuppie!!! Pay-to-Win Fiestaaaa....

LordOfDope    55
9 minutes ago, admin said:

removed small paid groups (unless they are 25 player fleets, just in case we might need it)

great news this

are there any restrections in size of groups in normal (with randoms) like 3 man groups in WoT. Else I think it can get quite unbalanced if a group of 15+ against all random (new) people

It can kill the game for quite some new players if they are always facing large groups of enemies while they dont know anyone yet in the game

jodgi    2,312
1 minute ago, Red Jack Walker said:

Pay-to-Win

What is pay to win in your view? We don't want that either.

LordOfDope    55
2 minutes ago, Red Jack Walker said:

you are so wrong

its not P2W at all after he mentioned that groups are not under premium anymore.

its only cosmetics and exclusive premium ships. Same as WoT, War thunder, etc, etc

elite92    570
50 minutes ago, LordOfDope said:

great news this

are there any restrections in size of groups in normal (with randoms) like 3 man groups in WoT. Else I think it can get quite unbalanced if a group of 15+ against all random (new) people

It can kill the game for quite some new players if they are always facing large groups of enemies while they dont know anyone yet in the game

well imho we should follow other free to play that have years of experience in matchmaking issue and balance:

- group limit in matchmaking based on total number of partecipants in battle (25v25 battle, group max of 5; 15v15 battle group max 3; ecc.) so in this way the battles wouldnt be so much unbalanced between organized and solos.

- "clan battle" mode that feature a matchmaking between clan groups of 7, 10, 15, ecc. members (numbers are arbitrary)

- "private room" mode with own rules and groups, no money or xp gain. (maybe only premium users can create a private battle? but all can join?)

questions to devs:

-will ships be divived into tiers? or rates like now?, would be cool if the matchmaking take care about rates and br and not only BR to avoid the "2 first rate vs 5 frigates stuff"

-will we have an unlock three to upgrading our ships? like wows or wot: we all start with medium cannons and basic woods and the more we play the more stuff we get, like longs , carros and live oak , or bow figure, and perma upgrades like more hammocks or marines: (example of an hold version of Dreadnought, only to make my idea more easy to understand)tieriijutlandtechtree.jpg

Aegir    1,671

Is the ship balancing and tailoring going to be treated separately, or try to stay in line with the OW game to reduce the workload?

Just as an example, in the current OW battle scenario, ramming, pushing and rage-boarding is a very common strategy (which I'm personally not a fan of in the slightest since it feels extremely gamey and unrealistic, and probably is the result of the repair system which also feels gamey and unrealistic. But anyways...).

Now we've tried and know why it wouldn't work in the OW game - suicide ramming with multiple throwaway ships and such - but in an arena setting there is no such discrepancy when it comes to the size of the opposing forces and matchmaking, so perhaps it could be reintroduced so that it feels more like naval combat with broadsides instead of bumper cars and cops doing PIT maneuvers with wooden ships?

I'm sure there's other aspects as well that would benefit greatly if the games are treated separately enough.

Edited by Aegir

Sir Texas Sir    3,660
5 hours ago, admin said:

I just want to set expectations straight. To avoid future miscommunication and discontent. 

NA legends is a working title. We have a better name for it but we don't know yet if we want to use it or keep for single player game. I still like as a title NAVAL ACTION:  Battle Royal
NA legends is a completely separate game. You are VERY welcome to come test it and play it but you don't have to.  It's not my cup of tea for the most part, but I will be over testing.
NA legends is a closed test - it might fail and get shut down.  I think it will have a certain group of players into that type of thing, but will it be enough?  I prefer the sandbox game.

So some reward or privilege is extremely early to talk about, but of course it will be considered. I would say just a special skin ship that lets folks know you where one of the founding members of the game that has helped test it on both sides would be cool.   Do something like how the Yacht is to the Cutter, pretty much a skin of the  same ship.  

I try not to ever have my expectations to high, but hay it's nice to have them though and even better when they are meet.  

5 hours ago, Liquicity said:

Skins don't make you play better :)

But it makes me faster....well I look pretty as I go faster....

5 hours ago, Intrepido said:

Paying for skins, historical flags could be also implemented into NA. That would support the game a lot.

There are a lot of cosmetic things they can do this with, but as long as I have the option some way through missions or trade to get the same thing in game I'm happy.

what about finishing your first game before starting another... there is no excuse here, we have all been open to a bunch of forms of making more money off the existing game to help development.. but no instead you are making a new game? Perfect the first one, then move on. You are a small studio, you cannot pretend that working on this second game no matter how similar will not significantly affect the development of the game that made it possible... and still waits for endless refinements.

admin    28,100
9 hours ago, Red Jack Walker said:

Pay to win is when you can buy advantage in battle over another player. Meaning you for example can buy a Bismarck battleships for real money in an ironclad game. 

In Legends all advanced ships of the line will be accessible to free players. In fact all players, paying or non paying will have to level them up. Santi and potentially Duke of Kent in the future will be free and i doubt any premium frigate stands a chance against a competent Santisima.

So we want captains who want to avoid spreading unfounded statements like you just made, they will just be removed. 

admin    28,100
2 hours ago, The MetaBaron said:

what about finishing your first game before starting another... there is no excuse here, we have all been open to a bunch of forms of making more money off the existing game to help development.. but no instead you are making a new game? Perfect the first one, then move on. You are a small studio, you cannot pretend that working on this second game no matter how similar will not significantly affect the development of the game that made it possible... and still waits for endless refinements.

Games are art and we are artists. We want and will make many games. 
Van Gogh made 2400 paintings over his life. Dali made 1400. 
Sid Meier launched another game during civilization 1 development and worked on another one as well (all during civ 1 development).

Regarding finishing first game before starting another. 

Our first game is finished and has been added to the list of best 25 war-games of all time by PC Gamer, also it was named best Wargame of 2014 by PCGamesN. It is also in the top 25 best rated games of 2014 on metacritic. It went on to sell 400,000 copies on PC and iPad/Iphone and is named Ultimate General Gettysburg. I was an art director/producer and co-designer on that game.
We worked on NA in parallel during that first game development. If we followed your advice NA would not exist. 

So don't worry, I am from the internet :). We know what we are doing. 

The Spud    593

Would it be an idea, to make the Legends and OW version share XP? Or rather your OW XP is transfered to your Legends Account?

This way people can have both games and don't need to grind both games, preventing them from sticking to one game all the time cause they are allready well progressed in one game and not in the other.

(I know they won't use the same progress or even use XP, but in some ways make it translate to the other game).

If they would know that what they do in OW gives them some progress in legends, or when they maxed out legends that it will give them some head start in OW version. They might easily by the OW version.

Macjimm    477

To the Devs:

Thanks for developing Legends.  

It may help Naval Action Open World by giving those players who keenly value balanced battles in a competive arena an opportunity to focus their interests.  This may reduce the continuous critisisim that is aimed at reducing NA Open World into simply a series of continuous PvP battles.

I have no interest in NA Legends. But I hope it is finished soon.  Legends just may result in a reduction of negativity in NA Open World that may be an incentive that attracts players.

Edited by Macjimm
Spelink

DesMoines    128
10 hours ago, Liquicity said:

Skins don't make you play better :)

Liquicity is only good because he have switzerland flag on his sails and chocolat in his hold 😎

kumisz    92
16 minutes ago, DesMoines said:

Liquicity is only good because he have switzerland flag on his sails and chocolat in his hold 😎

I heard masts break at the sight of a Switzerland flag! *raises pitchfork*

Kokerpiraat    74
On 15/08/2017 at 0:43 PM, admin said:

Yes but world of tanks has the elegant solution. Only one of them needs to have a premium the other 2 (squadron) or 24 (fleet) players don't have to have it.

Sorry but I think that is a terrible idea. Playing with friends is very important for games like this to survive, it is a basic feature you shouldn't charge for

admin    28,100
8 minutes ago, Kokerpiraat said:

Sorry but I think that is a terrible idea. Playing with friends is very important for games like this to survive, it is a basic feature you shouldn't charge for

its already removed from the main post

Fastidius    305

I thought since i have time i would explain my comment of everything should be available with in game doubloons. you buy doubloons with real gold or earn them through the grind.

The reason for this is that no one can say that content is Pay to win ever....you can set the bars quite high on premium ships and skins and such but as long as they are available people will grind.  The people that don't pay have to attend far more games etc to earn which gives your paying players active content.  Everyone can put in the effort and wallet warriors are still on equal footing.

Now the thing is that you should not be able to wallet warrior your way to first rates with no grind because that is in some ways pay to win early on the server if your matchmaking different tiers.

I would suggest you have a Rank system in place so yu can't bounce up the tiers asap....ie can't buy a high-end tank without the battles to get there

jodgi    2,312
59 minutes ago, Fastidius said:

Now the thing is that you should not be able to wallet warrior your way to first rates with no grind

But that's not even on the table.

What is planned here with "wallet warrior" premium time is a moderate acceleration of the grind, in the range of ~1.5 times faster grind with premium time. You still have to play a lot of battles to go from cutter to santi.

In anticipation of Legends and the grind I asked the guys at wotlabs.net to refresh my memory:

jodgi: 

How many hours of play, or how many matches does it take to level up to T10 in wot? prem or no...

leggasiini: 

It depends hello kittying alot. It can take between 400 - 4000 battles. 400 battles is possible to do in under week if you are crazy and play hella lot. I grinded Kranvagn in 400 battles. When i grinded it, i had purple recents, premium account and reserves activated basically all the time. I grinded FV215B in more than 4000 battles. I was bright red, didnt have premium and reserves didnt exist back then. No matter how much i played it took me ages to get it.

(references to colors: purple and red is coding for stats or skill level, purple being top of the heap, red is baddie)

Archaic_One: 

An IS-4 requires ~560k XP, IS-7 590k XP, and an E5 about 600k XP.  A few tier Xs require over 800K XP to earn, the average seems to be around 720k.  A really strong easy to play line like the IS-7 could be done in under 500 games by a good player using XP boost reserves.  On the other hand, arty are all up in the 800K XP range and arty is shit at earning XP, so 1K games would not be unexpected for a clicker driver to get tier X.  Or, what @leggasiini said, because I am a scrub and did not 'view previous comments'

(reserves are a newish grind accelerant on top of premium time they didn't have when I ground up all lines in wot)

In wot skill is a major factor in how much xp you earn over a number of matches, a purple can grind more than twice as fast as a red player.

OP states that prem ships will have a normal counterpart. I don't understand this angst of wallet warriors and pay2win.

Spitfire83    73

How am i suppose to play legends when i have to spend all my time grinding slots in open world naval action...oh i know during my afk sails.. Lol 

Edited by Spitfire83