Game-Labs Forum
admin

Some information on NA Legends. Roadmap and Q&A

We would like to provide the information on the NA Legends and the short roadmap.

Feature set 

The game is planned as a free to play game on PC.
This will guarantee large amount of players on the start and remove the price obstacle on trying the game. Some of those players might convert to paying users and even try the open world edition as well. 

Monetization
Monetization will be simple and manly using best practices of the industry, but will avoid shady practices. There will be no nickeling and diming in form of ship slots or ammo or other crap F2P style mechanics. 

Things that players will be able to pay for

• Premium account - increasing XP and Money gains (a-la wot and wows)
  • Premium ships (some of which will also be available as tournament or event rewards). Every premium vessel will have a free similar ship available to non-paying users. For example if there is a premium frigate of 34-38 guns, this will mean there there is going to be a free frigate in this gun range.
  • Skins and flags
  • Officer retraining (also available for in game money)

Ships

Standard ship line up will consist of 24 ships including all 1st and 3nd rates that are currently in game (from Lynx to Santisima Trinidad. These 24 ships will be available for free players. Players will be able to unlock ships and buy them in the similar way it was done in original Sea Trials. There will be no premium ships with guns complement above 90+. But there will be ship of the lines given as tournament prizes.

Testing roadmap

NA legends testing will start soon. The testing will be done in 3 stages. 

• Stage 1: We will provide the build for internal testers and some select (without UI) - the goal will be to test stability of instances and major bugs that could arise from Unity 5. Do not worry about getting in at this stage - it is going to las only a week. 
  • Stage 2: Once UI is finished we will provide the access key to all who applied - they will be free to share the access keys with whoever they want as well. 
  • Stage 3: Access will open to all NA owners

Testing will be done on 2-3 game types (maps) with various win conditions and objectives

• One objective - simple meeting engagement with
  • 2 Objectives with forts (capturable) 
  • 3 Objectives - similar to current port battles 

If initial testing runs will be complete and are successful we will take parts of the current OW map tech to event generation providing randomized battles in various locations making every battle unique. In addition to that tournament content will be added in form of weekend automated tournaments (a-la fifa weekend league). 

Once testing is done we will open the access to the general public and work will start to optimize the game for PS4 and XBOX One - we already have the xbox version running but it needs some more optimization.

Please ask questions if you have any. 

Let's say most of us from NA have hundreds of grinding hours in the game. Are we supposed to grind everything in Legends as well from scratch or can we receive some head start or avoid another grind path?

Edited by Peter Goldman

7 minutes ago, admin said:
  • Premium account (giving access to groups and fleets, increasing xp and money gain by 50%, and other quality of life benefits)

Does this mean if I dont have premium I cant play with friends?

Overall this sounds amazing. Thank you Gamelabs! 

But how is the matchmaking going to look like? Will everyone just be thrown into a lobby until its a full 25v25? Or are we going to be able to set up our own preferences, e.g. 3v3 or duel?

Cant wait :)

Edited by Liquicity

27 minutes ago, Jon Snow lets go said:

Does this mean if I dont have premium I cant play with friends?

Yes but world of tanks has the elegant solution. Only one of them needs to have a premium the other 2 (squadron) or 24 (fleet) players don't have to have it.

30 minutes ago, Peter Goldman said:

Let's say most of us from NA have hundreds of grinding hours in the game. Are we supposed to grind everything in Legends as well from scratch or can we receive some head start or avoid another grind path?

We have not considered this yet. We don't know if it is an issue. 
It's a new game. And combat model will start deviating pretty soon (for example we already have shallows implemented in instances).

17 minutes ago, Liquicity said:

Overall this sounds amazing. Thank you Gamelabs! 

But how is the matchmaking going to look like? Will everyone just be thrown into a lobby until its a full 25v25? Or are we going to be able to set up our own preferences, e.g. 3v3 or duel?

Cant wait :)

initially balancer will be simple and will arrange battles depending on the number of players in the queue
But we plan to add the system similar to Counter Strike - where players will be able to select the game types they want to fight in (with visual tools to help to make the choice - for example average waiting time for that particular game type). 

21 minutes ago, admin said:

Yes but world of tanks has the elegant solution. Only one of them needs to have a premium the other 2 (squadron) or 24 (fleet) players don't have to have it.

actually, platoons of 3 were allowed to free to play and they actually got a lot of grief about making it a paid for option....around the same time as the servers took a massive hit to population....see  November 2015 .....I know I left for that reason....also when armoured warfare has free platoons.....I suggest you allow group fun for free since it's the main reason a lot of us are still playing this game.....

If you want to talk about the good things about the world of tanks then I suggest you look 2 years ago since half the original gamers for it have left the game.  Even the big Russian clans are fighting back against the developers at the moment.....see the recent Alliance not playing the Clan wars game...... as One of the leaders of a big alliance clan on SEA andsomeone who played from 6.4 i can tell you how they lost players quite easily.

theres a lot of good things about world of tanks 2 years ago but when they stopped making content and just depended on premium ammo and premium tanks it went down hill....you may want to think about how your current game has the same issue...you stopped making content and spent time fiddling and faffing around with things that were fluff.

I'm Looking forward to it but the Freemuin system can't block group play or content only make access more of a grind.  Premium ships earn more cash but are not better.  Groups are allowed and there are entry fees to competitions with in game credits.  Real money buys game credits. everything is bought with game credits.  Wallet Warriors get faster access, not isolated access.

this means the poor can compete but the rich can compete easier...

as soon as you put road blocks in or premium gold ammo which is a hello kittying bullshit and bad for competition thats when you lose players before they start

Do it well and you have a winner, do it half good and you will be in a similar boat

Edited by Fastidius

I really think, if done well this could be a WINNER.

Separate entirely from OW.

It may bring some to the OW in the longer run...but tbh OW not ready for em yet.

Onya GL

10 minutes ago, admin said:

initially balancer will be simple and will arrange battles depending on the number of players in the queue
But we plan to add the system similar to Counter Strike - where players will be able to select the game types they want to fight in (with visual tools to help to make the choice - for example average waiting time for that particular game type). 

Ok, that should work :)

But as Eleven suggested above, a custom lobby mode would be nice to have too. War Thunder has it, you dont gain any XP or Gold from them, because its a battle under set circumstances (lobby Room with or without password, you invite the players you want to play with, everyone can see who's sailing what ship) and can test special settings. Then we could finally test stuff like 10 6th rates vs 2 4th rates or something. Or 25 gunboats vs a santi.... Like warthunders biplanes vs TU4.. The possibilities are endless :)

Another question

How are repairs going to work? Similar to sea trials where you have a set amount of repairs per battle?

Edited by Liquicity

If I won't be able to play in one team with my friends, I won't bother to play Legends, I don't want to play with randoms in same team that don't have a clue how to fight or without battle comms. Most arena games that are F2P allow for free a group of 3-5 players, for more you need premium. 3-5 would be ok for me.

Edited by Peter Goldman

35 minutes ago, admin said:

We have not considered this yet. We don't know if it is an issue. 
It's a new game. And combat model will start deviating pretty soon (for example we already have shallows implemented in instances).

Maybe for testing I can see giving us some head start, but when it goes live and general public I honestly think every one should be wiped and a clean slate  or close to it. I been on games where the testers got on 2 weeks before the public to start up and be slightly a head of the general public.  We could do that.   That other thing as I prob will keep it as a f2p and not put any money into it, would be nice if all testers/backers of the original game got a thank you premium ship that is special to only those that tested.  Nothing big, but something like the Yatch or some ships that is mid tier.  Even if it's just a skinned version of a normal ship that others can't get.

Will be waiting for the invites as I want to try this out even though the OW version of the game has more of my interest, but this will be fun to kill a few hours here and there with clan mates when we aren't doing something else.

1 hour ago, admin said:

<snip>

Perfect, perfect, perfect, perfect, perfect, perfect, perfect, perfect aaaaand wonderful.

No, seriously!

1 hour ago, admin said:

Please reconsider.

Making monthly subscriptions necassary for social features sucks big time and is one of those crappy F2P mechanics which you said you dont want to include.

If someone in our group comes up with a new f2p game the first question always is: "Is it pay2win?" Answer here would be "No, but you have to pay monthly to play with friends."

F2P should make the game playable and enjoyable especially for new players without any payment and playing in a group is basic and essential.

Try not to force players to pay, make them want to pay.

Edited by Jon Snow lets go

Players usually start playing games in small groups with friends. Forcing them to pay from start or play separately is a bad idea. Also, how can I play competive with my team without being forced to play? There is no alternative to that. I can only play with randoms.

17 minutes ago, Jon Snow lets go said:

Please reconsider.

Making monthly subscriptions necassary for social features sucks big time and is one of those crappy F2P mechanics which you said you dont want to include.

If someone in our group comes up with a new f2p game the first question always is: "Is it pay2win?" Answer here would be "No, but you have to pay monthly to play with friends."

F2P should make the game playable and enjoyable especially for new players without any payment and playing in a group is basic and essential.

Try not to force players to pay, make them want to pay.

Would two-man toon for poorfags and three-man toon for premium avoid your anger?

1 hour ago, admin said:

if one bought NA with the open world do you then directly have a premium account on NA legends?

1 minute ago, jodgi said:

Would two-man toon for poorfags and three-man toon for premium avoid your anger?

No, because for me thats a basic part of any multiplayer game and I feel scamed if I have to pay for that monthly.

10 minutes ago, Rickard said:

if one bought NA with the open world do you then directly have a premium account on NA legends?

Unlikely

33 minutes ago, Jon Snow lets go said:

No, because for me thats a basic part of any multiplayer game and I feel scamed if I have to pay for that monthly.

I understand where you are coming from, but your definition of scamming does not apply here. Scamming is telling you that something will be free and then sneaking a cost into it = lying to players. 

In our case it does not happen. We are open about it from the start. World of tanks, which i was lucky to work on in Wargaming, grew from 1000 players to 100 million players with that feature. Approximately 25% of players paid for premium accounts and the rest 75% enjoyed the content for free (never paid a cent). If you were right then WOT would never grow to 100 mln players.

+ free means a lot of players/a lot of targets - to support that some things we have to charge for. 

This looks like the kind of game I wanted in the first place, while I'm not so keen on the F2P model it will hopefully bring in a whole bunch of new players. I look forwards to seeing what ships will be developed for legends, please do create some content for single or groups vs AI like a horde mode or a general setting where you can practise a little or warm up before going head first into PVP :)

5 minutes ago, admin said:

World of tanks, which i was lucky to work on in Wargaming, grew from 1000 players to 100 million players with that feature. 

wow, you worked on World of Tanks? !! that's pretty cool !!

Can I pay for premium account in Legends, but have my money earmarked for development of OW game?

On a more serious note, this looks interesting. The payment model is pretty much how I imagined it. It is not exactly to my liking on principle, but I'll give it a try. The OW game is more my pace and the pay once, get full access model is my preference. But Legends still looks very interesting, and as it will still have the combat of the OW game at its core, I am surely going to sink countless hours into this game as well.

I guess what I'm most wondering is, if premium accounts are monthly subscription based, will there be a pay once option, where you pay the equivalent of ~14 months subscription fee and get a lifetime premium account? I am sure that some players like me would appreciate that kind of payment option, and that with retention rates of average games it would also be economically beneficial for Game-Labs.