Game-Labs Forum
Raxius

Boarding Mechanics AI

Morning Sailors,

This has been bugging me day by day and finally iv'e decided to speak up so it can be debated and hopefully changed. The Boarding Mechanics on AI is becoming ridiculous so lets begin,

1st rate ships having 20% Marines (player book only allows for 10% on 1st rates) - was boarded by a Santisima who had 1050 crew yet 210 marines...

how many upgrades are the Devs giving the AI?? - they turn tighter, fire faster, sail faster, seem to have full boarding perks on boarding, this is somewhat annoying.

please let me know your thoughts.. i lost a victory in 1 round to a Santi i had 850 crew no marines, santi had 1050 crew + marines and a 1 round win? with commands me: attack AI musket volley. the AI should been in crew shock yet instead i went from 90 morale to 0 after one attack - PLEASE CHANGE THIS.

i think the boarding mechanics in general should be reworked but the AI need to be toned down a bit, i dont mind versatility so some AI have boarding perks others reload and others maneuverability  but at the moment the AI seem to have 20 upgrade books with double stats and this just is annoying. one of the AI i fought was bugged i had to chase him an every time he got certain distance from me he dropped sails. as i got slightly closer raised sails an off it went. please change some of the mechanics in 1st - 3rd rate ships to avoid me losing another 1st rate to bugged / overpowered AI.

52 minutes ago, Raxius said:

please let me know your thoughts.. i lost a victory in 1 round to a Santi i had 850 crew no marines, santi had 1050 crew + marines and a 1 round win? with commands me: attack AI musket volley. the AI should been in crew shock yet instead i went from 90 morale to 0 after one attack - PLEASE CHANGE THIS.

The game expects you to soften the defenses by lowering enemy crew to the extent. Historically it was very hard to board an equal crew even if you have morale, and experience advantage. For example HMS Victory during trafalgar could not board the french ship even with 400 men advantage for almost 4 hours and was almost counter boarded by the french. 

We also disagree that AI bots are OP - they do have some bonuses but these bonuses are not higher - they are actually lower than overall bonuses player can achieve by installing all upgrades. The only thing that gives that impression is that AI times yards turns properly and this gives an impression of higher turn rates. 

26 minutes ago, admin said:

The game expects you to soften the defenses by lowering enemy crew to the extent. Historically it was very hard to board an equal crew even if you have morale, and experience advantage. For example HMS Victory during trafalgar could not board the french ship even with 400 men advantage for almost 4 hours and was almost counter boarded by the french. 

We also disagree that AI bots are OP - they do have some bonuses but these bonuses are not higher - they are actually lower than overall bonuses player can achieve by installing all upgrades. The only thing that gives that impression is that AI times yards turns properly and this gives an impression of higher turn rates. 

What about AI shooting at weird angles? Hitting me with stern chasers when I am in like 45 degrees in relation to them?

12 minutes ago, Peter Goldman said:

What about AI shooting at weird angles? Hitting me with stern chasers when I am in like 45 degrees in relation to them?

On paper AI sectors have no difference with player sectors. Unless there is some weird bug we missed. 

2 minutes ago, admin said:

On paper AI sectors have no difference with player sectors. Unless there is some weird bug we missed. 

Many players noticed a huge difference between AI and players, please investigate.

43 minutes ago, Peter Goldman said:

Many players noticed a huge difference between AI and players, please investigate.

You can speed things up by helping out.

Two years ago, and it got fixed:

xjTDKgk.png

I noticed as well that the AI can fire at way bigger sectors. Often they fire their stern chaser at almost 45° to the keel line, but also their broadside sectors seem to be bigger then on player ships. As an expirenced player i have no problem sinking AI ship, but the AI ability to allways instance board seems realy of and i allways warn new or returning player to watch out for not getting to slow next to AI. The AI is still very dangours that way when they are almost sunk.

2 hours ago, Raxius said:

1st rate ships having 20% Marines (player book only allows for 10% on 1st rates) - was boarded by a Santisima who had 1050 crew yet 210 marines...

how many upgrades are the Devs giving the AI?? - they turn tighter, fire faster, sail faster, seem to have full boarding perks on boarding, this is somewhat annoying.

I agree it seems like a annoying feature. But we used to have AI ships set up more like a player's ship and those we could chain-rageboard with a proper setup. If you dig on the forums you'll find records of players in boarding sol's speed-capping a handful of ships in short succession. It broke the eco bit for those who care about such things.

13 minutes ago, jodgi said:

I agree it seems like a annoying feature. But we used to have AI ships set up more like a player's ship and those we could chain-rageboard with a proper setup. If you dig on the forums you'll find records of players in boarding sol's speed-capping a handful of ships in short succession. It broke the eco bit for those who care about such things.

Although, now capturing SOLs is not possible, nor getting extra gold from doing so.

3 hours ago, admin said:

LOL, do u play the game or not?

AI can insta accelerate or decelerate, can out speed u while turning, can mix chain with balls, can fire almost an perpendicular fire angle...

stop kidding us, mate.

PS: a basic cutter that capture a gros ventre is not the way to fix ur problems, ignore the problem saying: uh maybe its a bug, a 2 years bug reported several times?

@admin

i am still not convinced the current setup for AI allows a 1 round win on boarding and allows them to reload faster than me and have marines and have perfect accuracy (never miss a rake every cannon ball inch perfect). as a player you have 5 slots for books 3 for upgrades. i cannot get full boarding perks, full reload speed, full dispersion reduction and perfect yard turns in 8 slots at least not to match the AI on this you must agree?

AI reload times are always quicker than player, even after they receive reload shock, which flashes on and off like it never even happened.  Always, no matter what cannon.  Also the instant acceleration/deceleration by AI is a fact for many AI battles, annoying when trying to board.  Both of these things, ridiculous.

Edited by Jean Ribault