Game-Labs Forum

Increase OS speed.

someone in that thread you linked said this:

No I just wanted open sea travel to be faster. Like it was in for instance PotBS. Then if you went into a instacned combat. The speed was "normal".

How did PoTBS deal with OW travel? actually did it have OW?

Speeds are already too high in open world atm.

Ok, we have a low population, so it could seem to make sense, but when that population rises again ... What then, lower speeds again? Or then you'll be asking for free teleports to wherever you want?

People complain about the invisible ganking, which is a result from higher speeds ... You think it will be a good idea to have all the ships have that capability all the time (not the invisibility itself)(undock in Willemstad, start to sail, timer runs for 2 minutes ... oh , look, i'm already at Coro and still the timer hasn't expired)? How will you ever catch a player before he gets into a port? Etc. The devs have already made sailing in OW faster

Adapt to the situation and change your strategy accordingly. Or go play some twitchgame with instant gratification?

You can also play Legends when it comes out instead?

• Like 1

The OW travel distance and speed is IMO very balanced.

Trips that would take weeks takes hours, Sounds very balanced to me.

And this is a MMORPG. Things take time in an MMORPG. When I picked up this game, I expected long travel times at sea, because it was like that during the age of sail.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AngryPanCake said:

someone in that thread you linked said this:

How did PoTBS deal with OW travel? actually did it have OW?

POTBS had an OW, smaller, less ports, and speeds were faster. If you did do econ, getting from one side of the map to the other did take time, I think 45 minutes instead of hours,  But in POTBS you could easily sail AFK and not worry about being attacked unless you were flagged for PVP or went through contested zones. Personally I feel OW speed is fine in NA.  POTBS battle times, especially against AI, was faster as well. 

• Like 1

OW speed is okay as it is - barely even noticed any difference when they increased it by 20% not too long ago - and increasing it even further will soon turn it into motorboats cruising by at light speed mostly just for the sake of long haul travel but at the expense of other gameplay aspects.

Reducing the map size would be a better way to go about it. Hopefully the clan warfare patch will contribute to it somewhat by localizing the most sought-after resources and conquested areas in the center, though I wouldn't say no to chopping off a decent portion of the game map either.

Nothing wrong with OW speeds, balance is nice as-is.  If the wind is right, you can get between close ports, out and back in, before your no-attack/no-be-attacked timer runs out.  If you increase speed you can port hop without a look or a fight.

I don't think the map needs to be decreased in size either.  If you want to sail, sail.  If you don't, you can easily stay and play within a section of the map.

Also, it's quite a leap to in effect make the connection that NA server population is a direct result of OW speeds.  Your link does not support that, and population is a result of multiple inputs.

I have very limited time.  Usually play for an hour or two a few times per week.  Speeds are okay as is.  Some would prefer slower speeds.  Some higher.  

We need to have a balance,  not push the mechanics to the extreme margins.  

EDIT:  The map size should be much bigger ... not smaller.

Edited by Macjimm
added content

increasing speeds just ruins the immersion of the game which is what makes this game special. leave the speeds alone, they are fine.

but

the players need movement options, whether that is more teleport options at cost or options to move stuff while out of game, just give players more options to move stuff because forcing players to sail everything everywhere alienates 99% of players because this is a game, ITS A GAME! players only have so much time to play it.

• Like 2