Game-Labs Forum
Demsity

A story about a battle

Hello!

Yesterday I got tagged by three players, a renommee,  a surprise and an endymion.

It was quite close to my capital so after about 1,5 min, three friendly players showed up. I was of course first in the battle so it was up to me to keep the enemy players in the combat long enough for the reinforcement to come in range. I tacked myself into the wind (in an essex mind you) put on boarding and let myself be boarded by the surprise. The renommee and endymion took up position and fired at me.

My reinforcement soon arrived and the battle was on. I disengaged from the boarding after a while and joined in the battle. After some fighting a crippled surprise, a damaged renommee got away. We managed to sink the endymion (which I did not fire on).

When the battle was over what did I get? absolutely nothing. No gold, no exp, no marks.. nothing.

This is a problem, I feel that I should be rewarded for this battle. But the game is like "No, f*ck you."

@admin This makes my want to quit the game. If my love for age of sail ships was not through the roof, I would probably quit. Speaking as a fairly new player here.

Edit: I do not know if this is the right place for this topic, if not feel free to move it.

Edit 2: Just to clarify, I´m not looking for compensation for this battle, just to tell my story :D

Edited by Demsity
some clarification

I understand your frustration and yes it is a problem. I guess the reasoning behind this is so you can not farm knowledge xp with your alt account without destroying your own ships but it probably hurts regular players more than alt account users... Then again it shouldn't bother you too much since gold/xp/mark rewards for pvp are absolutely pathetic compared to pve anyways so just enjoy that you took part in the sinking of  this enemy  endymion for the sake of it i would say...

Agree, would like to see reward for damage, at least xp, brought back. The captain gained experience battling even if they did not get the kill or assist. 

11 minutes ago, Captain Lust said:

I understand your frustration and yes it is a problem. I guess the reasoning behind this is so you can not farm knowledge xp with your alt account without destroying your own ships but it probably hurts regular players more than alt account users... Then again it shouldn't bother you too much since gold/xp/mark rewards for pvp are absolutely pathetic compared to pve anyways so just enjoy that you took part in the sinking of  this enemy  endymion for the sake of it i would say...

Denying the enemy a endymion is a reward in itself I agree, but still, would like if it worked towards my progression in the game ;)

I had the same frustration over and over.

Preventing alt damage farming it seems to make sense to give no xp & gold when no ship is sunk.

But I am strongly for sharing the gold & xp & marks for any sunken ship between all participants in the battle who did any damage (so no reward for cowards sailing far away from heat of battle). And, of course, considering the one who caps a ship which is worth alot so this guy should earn maybe less, maybe only the ship.

yes agreed, this is getting ridiculous, fought someone for over an hour he managed to escaped...0 rewards..was about to unistall.lot of hull/rig repairs used etc..

I was in a PvE battle last night against 2 vessels, I had one sinking and was approaching slowly to loot once he sank, I was badly damaged too so I popped a repair, but I mistimed my approach and the sinking AI initiated a boarding with us both on about equal numbers. As my crew dealt with the boarding they were not on repair so I continued to take on water as well as the other smaller AI vessel kept shooting at me in the extended boarding battle. In the end I won the boarding but both myself and the AI sank. I got nothing from the battle even though I sank the AI, and to make matters worse the combat clerk announced that I had sunk my own nation player.

Agreed. This message "You participated to a combat and you got no reward" is very disappointing and discouraging. If you prepare a ship of the line, as a light frigate must do, by reducing sails and crew, and if later on, another ship boards and capture because your light frigate cannot push a SOL in the wind, your reward will be none.

How many players did resign playing NA for that?

On 11.8.2017 at 10:54 AM, mikawa said:

I had the same frustration over and over.

Preventing alt damage farming it seems to make sense to give no xp & gold when no ship is sunk.

But I am strongly for sharing the gold & xp & marks for any sunken ship between all participants in the battle who did any damage (so no reward for cowards sailing far away from heat of battle). And, of course, considering the one who caps a ship which is worth alot so this guy should earn maybe less, maybe only the ship.

It is shared already

However I agree. It might be so some guys cant altfarm but TBH it hurts the average player more than exploiters.

Same with XP from PVP.

The ratio of xp/min and gold/min and risk brtween pvp and pve is just wrong. Encourages pve more than pvp which makes no sense

The problem lies into getting the reward tuned so it doesn't turned into an "endless" faucet.

Hence anything sunk, ships, repairs, cargo, upgrades can be used in the prize pool and paid to anybody doing something in battle (including getting sunk).

However a captured ship can not enter the prize pool. So losing because of capture really screws the trader up. (May or may not be a bad thing.)

Just do it with damage and calculate productioncost of 1 ship and how much 1 use of repair recovers in absolute HP. Give gold/hp damaged and a small amount for sailhp too and bam. All side HP * gold each HP shouldnt be higher than productioncost of a ship and you might have to recalculate and change the cost of repairs but that should do the trick.

You can still farm with crew space ships but to cap them you need to put time into the game so its okay I guess as long as you dont get a stupid amount from them

This message "You participated to a combat and you got no reward" is very disappointing and discouraging.

It is. Even if it just was the gold and no xp for damage done. There are reasons why big game titles shower you with rewards and achievements for every little baby step you make.

5 hours ago, Eléazar de Damas said:

How many players did resign playing NA for that?

I would place my bets high:

http://steamcharts.com/app/311310

4 hours ago, Skully said:

The problem lies into getting the reward tuned so it doesn't turned into an "endless" faucet.

Why not? Rewards for players in battles = more players in battles.

1 hour ago, Jean de la Rochelle said:

Why not? Rewards for players in battles = more players in battles.

Yes, except for two things:

1. Damage farming;
  2. By providing an overabundance of reward the strong players get too much money and dominate the market, resulting in price increases / inflation.

19 minutes ago, Skully said:
  • Damage farming;
  • By providing an overabundance of reward the strong players get too much money and dominate the market, resulting in price increases / inflation.

Is that enough of a problem to punish the entire player base for it?

And if the rewards get adjusted to the ranks? Lower rank players could get more gold, while high ranking players could get more combat marks (which in the new patch they need to buy bigger ships).

Don't the overall costs for sailing stronger ships (buying cannons, repairs, etc) rise, so that it automatically counter-balances the play style of stronger players? Surely, the damage for sinking a 3rd rate ship shouldn't be equally awarded the same like a beginner sinking a brig. But there must be a way to handle it proportionally according to BR (low BR 1:1, higher BR 1:3).

I played before the wipe with damage rewards and found it a lot more entertaining. Also did I get into battles a lot more, since I knew I would ALWAYS get something out of it. Without that incentive gone, I would understand why people would quit when getting ganked, fighting fierce, but getting no rewards. I find the damage rewards one of the most things I miss from before the wipe.

Is that enough of a problem to punish the entire player base for it?

If done right, I think there is no punishment on the player base. Say a Victory costs 1M and it gets sunk in battle, then the prize pool is 1M. With a very blunt formula of 2/3 to the victor and 1/3 to the loser you get 666K for the winner and 334K for the loser. I think that is already quite a substantial reward for both parties.

Tuning the formula more with little things, like leaks, module hits and crew loses (to name a few). You get a bit more reward for in-depth combat.

This is what I outlined in: 

And if the rewards get adjusted to the ranks? Lower rank players could get more gold, while high ranking players could get more combat marks (which in the new patch they need to buy bigger ships).

The operational cost of a high rank player is usually higher. He also drives the market behind him (ship crafters, material crafters, repair crafters), so it's okay to give out good money.

So in short we should get rid of

On 8/31/2017 at 6:53 PM, Skully said:
On 8/31/2017 at 6:28 PM, admin said:

We have problems converting new players to veteran players.

532F773B4A833FB5ADA32B9E3D59D74DE98D2219

And you are still wondering why?

But at the same time not get,

On 7/18/2016 at 0:43 PM, Skully said:

I don't want to share my billions with the clan... :P

Totally in agreement with you, rewards for damage in battle needs to come back.

Maybe there should be taxation on the Caribbean once a month for every active player. Have a simple calculation where the money generated (printed) by players is subtracted from the number players spent (destroyed). If the surplus is substantial, tax everybody in the Caribbean, but tax the millionaires more (tax the rich).  That should get some check on inflation.

Wow, first game in about 5 months and I sail out in my little cutter and find an AI Trader.

I take the rear of a trader brig, damage his sails and board and cap him.

Nothing?? No exp, No money, squat.

Well that was a nice 30mins of my life wasted???

2 hours ago, Honourable Bluetooth said:

Wow, first game in about 5 months and I sail out in my little cutter and find an AI Trader.

I take the rear of a trader brig, damage his sails and board and cap him.

Nothing?? No exp, No money, squat.

Well that was a nice 30mins of my life wasted???

if you sink them (there is an option to do so) you get xp and rewards.

capturing the ship is considering the "reward" otherwise.

Now, I am with you, I rather have the previous reward system, but this one isn't terrible either. I just wish it was more easily "shown" to new and returning players of how you get reards and the like....you know....like a tutorial.

Problem with this is.. the no XP without a kill in PvP was put there for the Farming issue.. But that was back when it was a STUPID amount of XP just to make rank... Now you can farm Missions and rank up really fast and make gold to..... SO the not giving it for damage in PvP(while we get it in missions for partial battles) is just goofy now

Thanks for the update guys.

Seems a bit odd, but now I know. Was alt farming so bad it needed tbis kind of rule?

The reward for the trader brig was 9000 gold sold. Does not cover costs so capping is nerfed.

On 9/27/2017 at 2:04 AM, Honourable Bluetooth said:

Thanks for the update guys.

Seems a bit odd, but now I know. Was alt farming so bad it needed tbis kind of rule?

The reward for the trader brig was 9000 gold sold. Does not cover costs so capping is nerfed.

Yeah it was... ships were cheap(everything was capture-able from AI even st rates).