Game-Labs Forum

[Serious] Server Health

Teutonic

1 minute ago, Molecularbioguy said:

t's just that RvR, true RvR doesn't so much exist anymore, and there's only some PvP. OW has taken what we like from this game. 

This is true because Pirates have an advantage at the moment.  And no one will fight them.  This will change sooner or later "maybe" if they get off forums and play the game.

3 minutes ago, JobaSet said:

This is true because Pirates have an advantage at the moment.  And no one will fight them.  This will change sooner or later "maybe" if they get off forums and play the game.

Oddly enough there are more in game than on these forums that fight.  And I see you here more than in game... what does that say.

1 minute ago, JobaSet said:

It is very clear just from this list of a few things.  They are trying to make everyone equel only after Pirates put the work into it. To help nations Compete and still has not worked.  That is why you see every post about making game anti Pirate by taken away stuff from the Pirate nation.

Captain I see you like to repeat yourself in every new topic but why do you think nationals are soooooooooooooooooooooo jealous about pirates? I guess you fail to understand what are the suggestions are all about. To make pirates real pirates, a special gameplay choice and not only an other nation.

1 hour ago, Vernon Merrill said:

AGAIN, for the MILLIONTH time.. YOU play for RvR..  I play for PvP.  Both are fine, but they need to converge if the GAME is to succeed.  

Sounds to me like French PvP-ers should be joining Pirates, while remaining French RvR and PvE players (if any) should actually join another (safer?) Nation.

Regardless France as a (RvR) Nation is no longer viable for any player, certainly not for new ones.

2 hours ago, Timjim2 said:

Five dollars to the person that can make any kind of sense out the above..

That's just BLACK being BLACK. I don't know how many times I've seen them say some version of "we are only whipping your nation for it's own good." Or for the good of the sever. This is what they do when anyone dares to challenge them anywhere.

I don't criticize their ruthless tactics. This is a war game. I just think they've repeated some version of this "justification" so many times that they may actually believe it themselves when everyone else knows they do it because they want to "win" and want to do it their way with maximum shock in rolling ports.

PM me in game and we'll figure out a way for you to give me the 5. Gold pieces are fine. Lol

1 minute ago, Skully said:

Sounds to me like French PvP-ers should be joining Pirates, while remaining French RvR and PvE players (if any) should actually join another (safer?) Nation.

Regardless France as a (RvR) Nation is no longer viable for any player, certainly not for new ones.

Definitely not for care-bear ones...  however, smuggler mechanics allow us to build anything we need quite easily still...  

Now if the population was higher and there were actually Swedes, Danes and Dutch to prevent us from getting their "stuff", I would say you *might* be right...

Honestly, the ONLY reason we'd actually consider flipping a port, besides trying to get people to come out and fight, is to get a TP port...

We've actually become pretty adept at getting from the Antilles to Tortue in 2 winds cycles, though, so.......

10 minutes ago, z4ys said:

Captain I see you like to repeat yourself in every new topic but why do you think nationals are soooooooooooooooooooooo jealous about pirates? I guess you fail to understand what are the suggestions are all about. To make pirates real pirates, a special gameplay choice and not only an other nation.

O please every time they or anyone come up with a way to make Pirate more Piratiy the Nation Complain that we getting something they can't do and it fails to even get off the paper it was written on.  They could make Pirates, Spain Right now on Global with one line of code changed. Pirate or nothing but a Nation right now. The fact you just want someone to blame. Because Nations want it all. I am to the point they Should phase out Pirate all together.  Just remove the "name" from game all together its just a name.  Then,  What would happen, were ever Black landed it be same shit different Day.  "INSERT NATION NAME" never had those ships they shouldn't have them either but you can't take our ships.

1 hour ago, JobaSet said:

You are a troll mate you had 1-3 slots open with 9 other with you.  Attacking single Trader brigs.

8B50B3F88C265145B5DF342DFDD9F0A8EEB77085

F34EE0F4C330AD250D7FB6D17D6136FCE5E54878

Your personal credibility has been reset to 0, JobaSet.

Edited by Slamz
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Barbancourt (rownd) said:

Inb4...

Is there a good reason why the entire capital region shouldn't be a safe zone, to prevent the capital camp-ganking thing and give noobs some room to train, trade, run missions etc? 

I felt like camping a factions capital did significant damage to the server's population. People whos capital is being camped reduce their play time or take breaks.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Davos Seasworth said:

I felt like camping a factions capital did significant damage to the server's population. People whos capital is being camped reduce their play time or take breaks.

This is true. Same with large "warbands" roaming the vicinity of big towns in other games.

So giving breathing space and nurturing the existence of any nation is more beneficial and becomes symbiotic. No commerce raiding without traders. No traders if towns get shutdown and players stop logging in.

While commerce raiding is a thing, acquiring the finesse to do it without much disruption requires much time doing reconnaissance.

I like that "exploration" self made content. It pays off for me and many others, no matter what nation they play. 

But, it is not a reason, it is all a symptom. The energy necessary to produce self-made content - read! acting a character in the west indies in the age of sail - is too much for the majority, either in time investment or caught in powerplay avalanche :)

People should have at least a little space to just enjoy sailing their ships.  They should be able to sail around their home island without getting jumped IMMEDIATELY by someone camping the other side of the point from the harbor entrance, in full view of the fort.  Let the hunters lurk in the shadows beyond the borders of the capital region. 

3 hours ago, JobaSet said:

I have completely lost all respect for you mate.  You are a mod that refuse to his job just like other mods here.  You take sides and let one side trash talk the other (99% nations trashing Pirates)  That is more of a problem than anything else in this game.  Its all one sided from the Losing group.  

I take the side of the game son. That's what you ain't getting :) Hence I do not care about which server it is, which nation it is. Once something shows - maybe - broken, it is time for all of us to sit and actually look at the scenario. That's whay we are testing all the options, why we did all this way since the very first iteration of the Open World.

But guess you simply will not sit at the same table as me. Perfectly fine as english is not my mother language as well so we wouldn't understand each other much.

I did play Pirate, as I did play and do play all nations in game for a lot of time, you know 3k hours not spent in one or two nations but all of them. I did proper pyracy, role playing the amount of share per crew, maximizing the loot, and not vouching for a unhistorical setup :) but that's me and the way I play the game. Impersonate a character perfectly acceptable to be in place during the age of sail in the west indies. No shortcuts. One account. One character.

There's not one way to play the game and we found ourselves a insurmountable wall, no matter what you convince yourself of.

• Like 5

13 hours ago, Teutonic said:

I don't need finger pointing and it's best not to continue. Lets go on with what we as players can do for each other to help others who don't forum troll around here like we do.

So far it seems a Thunderdome area is the best option?

Lets go with Christendom and Bach's idea of stating 4-5 nations to be deemed "active" and the rest to be considered "dead." Does it suck? Sure, of course, but the population we have now just doesn't cut it.

Obvious 4 seem to be Pirate, US, Brits, French. 5th be Danes and the rest we write off as "dead nations." although they still have players and those players enjoy what they do, so be it.

where can us "big boys" go on the map to not be such oppressive shits to the rest of the noobs? Hispaniola? Cuba? dare i say the Gulf? Maybe we do need another Server meeting to hash it out.

My opinion on what needs to happen.

All players. clans, Nations must swear to abide by a few rules. Granted not everyone may follow, but if we get the majority of groups to abide by certain rules, all the better.

1. The "Voted Active Nations" must be allowed to take 1-2 regions (not including capital region) around their capital or a reasonable distance without harm from others. These Regions would be considered "sacred," in other words, other active nations shall NOT take these ports.

2. The "Voted Dead Nations" Are not to be harassed to death, if they have the pop and group to do so, they are allowed 1-2 regions as well. Active Nations DO NOT engage in offense RvR/PBs against the dead nation's "home regions." a good example of this currently is Sweden and the Dutch, they have been two "dead nations" that have ports and so far all parties have been trustworthy not to take ports from them.

3. Outside of the "Active Nations" home regions, RvR is allowed for all parties. Ow PvP is allowed at all places on the map

4. Nations and Clans from all sides agree on a few points on the map to become "Pressure Points." In other words, PvP, RvR, whatever is absolute free game AND players who wish to take part are to be told of these points on the map to go out and fight.

If All major parties form us all cannot come to some type of agreement like this, then I don't have hope for this server. Those who want to paint the map their color will do so and others will stop playing. Since all this RvR bullying shit happened Population has surely declined and that is definitely not at all what we all want.

It's not about getting an edge or hurting a group anymore, or starving folks of resources, or showing who's better at what. This is about keeping players wanting to play! We want players to lose ships and continue playing, not lose ships and quit. We are going the same road we did before the Wipe Patch, which was a dead server.

Stop pointing fingers!

This thread is for constructive purposes - for the better enjoyment of everyone on the server.  Please limit your comments to that objective. 

Let us discuss this idea of the "thunderdome" and see if we can work out some of the particulars to making it work.  

30 minutes ago, Barbancourt (rownd) said:

People should have at least a little space to just enjoy sailing their ships.  They should be able to sail around their home island without getting jumped IMMEDIATELY by someone camping the other side of the point from the harbor entrance, in full view of the fort.  Let the hunters lurk in the shadows beyond the borders of the capital region. 

Half the fun in the ow pvp is the hunt and chase itself. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Barbancourt (rownd) said:

Is there a good reason why the entire capital region shouldn't be a safe zone, to prevent the capital camp-ganking thing and give noobs some room to train, trade, run missions etc? 

There is one good reason:

Because the "capital safe zone" is used primarily by max level veterans who are grinding 1st rates. I don't see why that should be a "newbie zone" activity.

In EVE, highsec space only gave you newbie tier missions. You needed to get into lowsec for anything better (and nullsec had superior "open world" grinding).

So what we really need here is:
Home area "highsec" -- low level missions and basic ship ingredients only. You get NPC help here and battles never close for native defenders.
Everywhere else "nullsec" -- top 3 rank missions are here along with rare woods and trade goods (and maybe gold/silver).

Attackers also get reduced rewards (maybe reduced to 0) for kills in the "highsec" area.

But there is also little reason for veterans to live their entire lives in the safe zone -- they can't, if they want the good stuff.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Barbancourt (rownd) said:

I thought the same thing, but have heard an explanation that this is an MMO.  Players should coordinate and protect fellow nationals.  People who like sailing should choose safe areas and safe times.  Players  should work together within their nation to make it difficult for the hunters to patrol inside the borders of a capital region.

1 hour ago, Davos Seasworth said:

Half the fun in the ow pvp is the hunt and chase itself. 

If I wanted to sail without any risk I would only use the PvE server and avoid the PvP server.  OW Pvp hunting and chasing creates a certain excitement and anticipation that is  missing on the PvE server.

2 hours ago, The Red Duke said:

[...]

But, it is not a reason, it is all a symptom. The energy necessary to produce self-made content - read! acting a character in the west indies in the age of sail - is too much for the majority, either in time investment or caught in powerplay avalanche :)

I think this last point is a good one. This game is excellent at letting one play an age of sail captain. But that was a profession that left one at sea for months at a time - many players don't have time for extended play sessions (or have time only certain days of the week).

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Macjimm said:

Players should coordinate and protect fellow nationals.

This is generally the argument for camping capital areas:

We know they have organized groups of high level players. That's who we really want to fight but we don't know where they are. Camping the capital is an effort to draw them out.

And, again, there's also a hope of catching the high level veterans grinding 1st rate missions, since a lot of people do that at capitals.