Game-Labs Forum

To Devs: PvE server has potential

Dear developers,

I would like to take this opportunity to point out some of the potential the PvE server has to offer. I understand NA was initially designed as a hardcore Age Of Sail sand box PvP combat game and you are working hard to live up to it with the help of the PvP community that is quite dedicated despite some of the rants/frustrations.

This post is about the PvE server created later on to attract players like myself who are fans of the Age Of Sail, but not necessarily of clans/RvR/PvP. The PvE community is quite small compared to the PvP one, however, we are as dedicated though less vocal. The game was not marketed/advertised to attract the likes of me and still, here I am. I had read there was a PvE server, got on the forum and asked about it. 2-3 days later I bought the game. Since then, I have been a staunch advocate of the red headed child that the PvE server is. Despite my previous rants (I do have a couple), I enjoy this game very much, always been fan of the period and I happen to discover it right after I finished the Hornblower series and started the Aubrey-Maturin one. This could not have been a more perfect time.

Anyway, I understand the priority is to continue working on PvP in order to produce a finished product, which the PvP community is anxiously waiting for. But I wanted to lobby on behalf of the PvE community so the server remains up and running past the 12-18 months you had mentioned a couple of months ago when the suggestion to merge servers turned out to be unpopular (posters, please refrain from engaging in a debate about who opposed it most, thank you). Once the PvP version hits the market as the final product, we, the PvE community hope you will not give up on us and hope you will put in some time to make it a game that will attract more players and continue to run in parallel just like the PvP server.

As many have suggested it in the past, PvE can be a stepping stone towards PvP. It can be used as a "training ground" for future PvP'ers as well as a bonafide finished game for PvE'ers. The community is very helpful and will continue to answer the same questions over and over again (what's the pray button for? how do you catch fish? how do you put guns on the ship?...etc). New players can learn the basics of both trade and combat in a relatively safe environment. Then when they feel confident, they can switch to the big boys' server. Maybe once new players reach the rank that allows them to fully man a 6th rate, they can then transfer and get the required XP as a redeemable.

I strongly believe that if the PvE sever is advertised appropriately, it will attract many more players than it has now. Although it's only averaging a 100 players a day, there are many more than that as it is not the same 100 that play all day everyday, and this is without any particular marketing. In a previous discussion, you had said that even without marketing you were getting a decent number of new sales every month. So imagine if PvE was marketed to the people with interest, this can only be a win win situation.

Of course, the game on the PvE server will need some attention in due time and will require some new content. There have been several suggestions already, but this is not about rehashing them, but merely to bring your attention to the possibilities PvE game play on the PvE sever offers.

I was chatting on Global today and asked what the other PvE'ers thought the PvE version of NA was and a few said it was an Age Of Sail combat and trade sim (this will probably start a firestorm, but keep in mind, I am talking about the PvE server and no one is suggesting the PvP server should become a trade sim), which is fine for those interested in that style and it seems that is what PvE players like, that's why they are on the PvE server and not elsewhere. Therefore, the PvE server advertised as an MMO sand box combat and trade sim will find a larger audience than it has now. Half the work is already done, mechanics are being tweaked for PvP, which will most probably work just fine on the PvE server, some PvP specific items will be removed once the game is ready for launch (like timers and other restrictions that were brought on due to PvP imbalance), graphics are already great, ship models unbelievable, only thing missing is the PvE specific content.

One of the players said this about PvE: "Every player a friend, every AI an enemy, battle with famous ships in nimble brigs, fast frigates and powerful line ships" (Aeomar), he actually summed up the way I feel about the PvE server.

On this note, I hope I got your attention even for a brief moment and hope this game continues to grow along with it's great community.

Thank you,

Edited by AngryPanCake
  • Like 11

As an old PotBS player, who finally got tired of the ganking grind of pvp, NA pve is a refreshing take on things.  Hoping the Devs can come through in the next few months and fulfill NA's potential for the pve players.  C'mon Unity 5!

Edited by mAsstbuster
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Flakbait said:

Well said.  Now we just have to wait for all the comments that call the PVErs 'carebears'  :lol:

I don't see guys that play on the PvE as carebears.  The guys I see are the ones that play on PvP and avoid PvP unless they are sure wins (empty port battles or 10 to 1 odds).  The only issue I have with the PvE server is that the player numbers are so low and the map is so big. I really like the concept of the Gulf being a PvE safe zone for players.  The map is just way to big there really is no reason they couldn't share it on one or even two servers if they just keep a EU and GLOBAL.   It would also give the PvE guys (now this might make them carebears;) to come out of safe area and try out some PvP or RvR once in while.  This way with every one on the same server they can focus more for content that works across the board for PvE/PvP/RvR style of players.  Hell I love doing trade and crafting, but I also love the risk of a good fight.

MMO video game term often used in EVE Online.

Definines someone whose playstyle involves very little or easily quantifiable risk. Often confused with players who PvE for ingame money.

Carebears are the players who are risk-averse and will only engage in PvP when the outcome is predictable (and ideally, profitable)
Did you see xyz players? They never fight without three to one odds! Huge carebears!
  • Like 2

carebears are called carebears because THEY ARE carebears: ]

EOT.

btw rus version of carebear is crab

EDIT, I liked the POTBS solution for coexistence pve and pvp side by side. Whole OS was safe except rvr conquest areas. pvpers were forced to create it if they want to have field for hunting. Also, everyone knew where to sail if you look for some pew pew. The weakness of NA in this particular case is a huge time-consuming distance. In potbs we could sail across the whole map within a 30-40min maybe up to 1hour with good wind and current water help.

Edited by Rychu Karas

3 hours ago, Sir Texas Sir said:

Carebears are the players who are risk-averse and will only engage in PvP when the outcome is predictable

Basically 87,35% of the PvP population.

;) but back to OP idea

It is necessary to look to the PvE as the testing bed for all things... PvE.

Storyline mission chains, port life ( tavern contacts, notice boards ), NPC Politics events, and even NPC driven trade.

• Like 6

1 minute ago, The Red Duke said:

Basically 87,35% of the PvP population.

;) but back to OP idea

It is necessary to look to the PvE as the testing bed for all things... PvE.

Storyline mission chains, port life ( tavern contacts, notice boards ), NPC Politics events, and even NPC driven trade.

And I agree this would be awesome and develop the game so the legends game becomes a progression

More PVE content would be nice. Blockade runs in unarmed trade ships, exploration missions with collections you can trade in for flags or other goodies, maybe a daily combat mission you can pick up at each port. 

I also wouldn't mind some form of semi permanent PVE flag, that would allow PVE players to play on the PVP server without being attacked by players.  Let's say you can switch it on and have a chance to switch off after 14 days. Of course anyone with alts will then have their PVE flag on to do econ with alts so the downside is less traders to hunt. I just really really really don't want to see PVP flags like in POTBS as I think trader hunting is a viable form of RVR. 

• Like 2

last year, a french speaking gaming portal made a poll about the preferences players concerning pvp, pve, competitive and cooperative play.

cooperative pve content with friends was prefered by 41% of voters

cooperative pve content with anybody was prefered by 30% of voters

competitive pvp with friends was the choice of 13% of voters

competitive pvp with anybody was voted by 25% of voters

11% of voters didn't cared about pvp or pve as long as they were playing with friends

21% of voters had no preference

For those of you who wonder, yes it add to more than 100% because multiple choices were allowed, the poll results and comments can be found here :

http://www.jeuxonline.info/sondage/3364

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Anne Wildcat said:

... I just really really really don't want to see PVP flags like in POTBS as I think trader hunting is a viable form of RVR. 

PVP flag in POTBS was a great feature, voluntarily put on make you vulnerable on agro from ANY player in ANY place of OS. It didn't give an ability to tag any one, but any one can tag you. In advantage, you receive from flag few percent of extra OS speed.

5 minutes ago, hoarmurath said:

last year, a french speaking gaming portal made a poll about the preferences players concerning pvp, pve, competitive and cooperative play.

cooperative pve content with friends was prefered by 41% of voters

cooperative pve content with anybody was prefered by 30% of voters

competitive pvp with friends was the choice of 13% of voters

competitive pvp with anybody was voted by 25% of voters

11% of voters didn't cared about pvp or pve as long as they were playing with friends

21% of voters had no preference

We always wanted to make a pvp harsh world and learned a lot in a process. thanks to NA community (even harshest critics). As promised we will try to focus on PVE after unity5/ui/localization.

First step into actually fixing things is NA Legends - the game which solves 90% of problems for competitive pvp players, removing things that are not needed if the only thing you are interested in is fair pvp battles and nothing else.

• Like 11

30 minutes ago, admin said:

First step into actually fixing things is NA Legends - the game which solves 90% of problems for competitive pvp players, removing things that are not needed if the only thing you are interested in is fair pvp battles and nothing else.

@admin

dare me to question you My Lord Genius, but if you ever find me using fair tactics in a PvP Battle please just double tap me and move along...

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Sir Texas Sir said:

I don't see guys that play on the PvE as carebears.  The guys I see are the ones that play on PvP and avoid PvP unless they are sure wins (empty port battles or 10 to 1 odds).  The only issue I have with the PvE server is that the player numbers are so low and the map is so big. I really like the concept of the Gulf being a PvE safe zone for players.  The map is just way to big there really is no reason they couldn't share it on one or even two servers if they just keep a EU and GLOBAL.   It would also give the PvE guys (now this might make them carebears;) to come out of safe area and try out some PvP or RvR once in while.  This way with every one on the same server they can focus more for content that works across the board for PvE/PvP/RvR style of players.  Hell I love doing trade and crafting, but I also love the risk of a good fight.

Thank you for your input. However, as stated in my post and in many previous threads: the PvE-PvP merger idea was rejected by many. So, I believe the idea should be put to rest at this time.

If you are interested in both PvP and PvE, some have suggested "voluntary PvP" on the PvE sever. In that, if a player runs into another on the OW, click on his/her ship, then click an "invite to battle". If the other player agrees/accepts, then you got yourself a PvP match. Others suggested to bring back the Duel Room. This way, if you spent time studying what ship build you wanted, gathered materials/mods and crafted your dream ship, you could go out and try it out against another player without the risk of losing it in battle (Duel room).

49 minutes ago, admin said:

We always wanted to make a pvp harsh world and learned a lot in a process. thanks to NA community (even harshest critics). 1 - As promised we will try to focus on PVE after unity5/ui/localization.

2- First step into actually fixing things is NA Legends - the game which solves 90% of problems for competitive pvp players, removing things that are not needed if the only thing you are interested in is fair pvp battles and nothing else.

1- This statement is very reassuring and most welcome by the PvE community. As I said, the PvE "version" of NA has so much potential and possibly less challenging to complete than PvP, in that there is little chance for exploits...etc.

2- PvP games are never completely finished, look at WoT, WoWS always coming up with patches, buff this, nerf that, rebuff this...etc. However, 90% of problems solved is a great product, cause in that area, no game is 100% problem free.

Edited by AngryPanCake
  • Like 4

I think the PvE server is definitely nice, and I get why people want a more relaxed NA experience. Some people are very competitive and put in tons of hours to get the best gear etc, and other players just like the age of sail, like relaxed trading, crafting, a fight now and then. It has none of the salt that the PvP servers have. You know the "Hey, Captain X thanks for your indiaman full of loot man, the Royal Navy greets you lol". I get why people don't want none of that. PvE is ideal for them.

You could implement a "OW Duel" Possibility, where you can click a player in OW invite him for a Duel (other player can deny), but if he accepts a tag starts running and an OW duel is started. Like with the old Duel you can't lose anything. Devs can say, well arcade stuff is for "Legends", but I don't see any negatives involved in this.  PvE might be the middleground between hardcore PvP and NA Legends.

• Like 6

First things first .. LOVE THIS GAME ! .. as far as my humble pve  'Ensign / Basic Cutter / 20k+ gold  so-far' experience limitations  allow .. as in pretty much only scratching the scratch on the pimple by the freckle in an unmentionable area that is the screen of the NA world .. will allow /grin .. having said that .. moving on ..

I found this game literally in the last few days [actually playing on the PvE server FIRST, and quite possibly for ALWAYS,  but just in the last two days or so, and specifically for the learning curve] ..

I have already invested many many hours in youtube tutorials, forum browsing and info / guide reading .. as a big percentage of ANY game I play is 'learning the ropes' [apt pun ap-sa-darn-loot-ly intended !] .. and making and earning my own way through the early stages as the dev team intended, so as to enjoy and appreciate as many gameplay aspects, ambience design and immersion level details as possible ..

It cannot be emphasised enough how important it is to be in a SAFE environment while you learn what you like to do, how you do it, UI techniques, getting to know the world / map and so on .. without being TOO 'Captain Obvious' [pun intended again] .. and as others have already pointed out, this priceless emotional security should not be underestimated for both training AND all new and veteran PvE--[PvP by choice] 'preferring players' like myself ..

In order to give some type of comparison, most of the best [imho] successful [you be the judge] MMORPG's I have played .. obviously there are other countless ones I have no knowledge of, and  I can of course only refer to my personal experience of those listed below ..  which offer various combinations of game type and fall into the following formats [to the best knowledge I can find correct at this time] ..

------------------------------------------------------  PvE  / Servers --- Trading --- Crafting ------------------------  PvE inc. PvP ---------------------------------------- PvP ---------------------------- 

[Dedicated Areas/Type/Optional]             PvP [Dedicated Servers]

1.  Everquest [Orig.]                             ONLY / 21          Good           Yes                               [NO / None / No]                                         YES   [1 of 22] 

2. Everquest II                                      ONLY / 10            Yes             Yes                   [ Previously / BattleGrounds / Yes ]                             NO

3. Dark Age of Camelot                        YES / 11             Yes         Excellent              [ Very Large  / 3 Realm RvR / Yes ]                  NO [Previously 1 or 2]

4. Istaria [orig. Horizons]                  ONLY /   3       Excellent       BEST (imho)                    [No / None / No]                                             Never

5. World of Warcraft                          YES  / 245      Excellent       GOOD      [ YES / BattleGnds/Arena RvR  (Var Team sizes) ]        YES   [112/245]

6. Naval Action                                   YES /   3         Excellent       no knowledge yet         [ YES / Instanced / Yes ]                                YES   [2/3]

Of course this does in great measure reflect my bias towards PvE with PvP options .. but the games listed can I think claim to have withstood the test of time  to greater or lesser extent, and be good business models in part at least for any new good concept games starting out .. but I do wish to draw our attention to the balance of mainly PVE inc., or access to 'PVP' instances being prevalent .. the bigger games like WoW can afford the luxury of a large %age of dedicated PVP Servers as well .. but I'd suggest they could get away with far fewer if they had to because of the many varied RvR/Arena Team PvP options their PVE servers offer inclusively ..

I was extremely happy to see the positive ADMIN reply above giving us pve types every opportunity to remain hopeful that the original poster had been heard along with our voices and concerns  .. 

I have really only spent this length of time on this post to illustrate that we are very serious in our hope that this PVE server we love will exist for a long time into the future and develop its own specifics and enhancements as 'dev-time' allows ..

I sincerely believe this will help future marketing efforts to expand and assist the appeal of both the PVP & PVE aspects of this excellent concept game .. and be very profitable in both cash terms and player/customer enjoyment where the real intrinsic value of any product resides ..

I am sirs your faithful servant,

Sir Francis Geary

• Like 3