Game-Labs Forum

Game froze and I lost my ship

Capn Rocko

I sent a F11 report on the issue.  I've never had this happen during a PvP battle before (Naval Action has frozen maybe 3-4 times in the 1000+ hours I've played)... If ships were not programmed to completely stop when a player disconnects, then I would have been fine (sailing upwind in a Privateer). I don't mind losing the ship, but losing the upgrades really hurts. 

I would recommend clarifying what happened. Are you saying that when you dropped out of your game, the ship stopped and was then sunk by your opponent? Or are you reporting a bug in which your ship was suddenly sunk by the disconnect? What were the circumstances of the engagement? By freeze do you mean that your ping skyrocketed and you disconnected? Internet stopped working? Suddenly dropped without a sign of trouble? Huge lag over time, and then a disconnect?

I experienced a rare computer freeze (the graphics glitched then my whole computer was unresponsive). After a mandatory restart, I came back to my ship being boarded by my opponent. Had the game been programmed to let my ship continue sailing, everything would have been fine when I logged back in.... (my opponent was in irons and I was sailing 13+ knots at my best point of sail at the time my computer froze.)

I'm not sure whether the freeze was caused by a bug in the game or by a malfunction in my computer's hardware (most likely the latter). The point of the story is that the game is programmed so that players lose their ships if any technical problems arise in battle. I don't think its fair to lose 1 million+ gold in mods to a silly computer freeze. 

Same here.

Lost yesterday (or Thursday) an Endymion with an Elite Refit.

Disconnect in battle, the sails go down. And then my Endymion stand helpless near a Cherubim.

When I come back in the instance it was too late ...

Edited by Holm Hansen

I am glad I am not the only one this has happened to. If the developers choose to ignore this issue, then I will find another game to play until something is done about it. After this incident, I am scared to sink money into a new ship. It not worth my time to grind money, resources, and (in this case) rely on rare RNG drops for upgrades only to have it lost to bad programming. Not to mention, the embarrassment of losing an expensive ship to another player (for all I know, my opponent thought that I purposely put my sails down and let him take the ship from me). 

If I could make a suggestion, I would suggest a 5 minute invincibility period that would allow for computer/modem restarts and to reconnect to the game. During this time, no damage or boarding actions could be taken against your helpless ship while the issue is being resolved. Yes, it would give your opponent a chance to escape or gain a strategic position, but at least you wouldn't have a 100% chance at losing your ship. 

7 minutes ago, Ink said:

Captains, at the moment this is intended mechanic to solve possible exploits with battle escape.

Lol. How can someone exploit anything if they are logged off with their sails up as opposed to down? You could program the game to where the sails stay up for 5 minutes, then lower if the player does not reconnect. Either way, honest players are getting screwed by this current system.

Edited by Capn Rocko
  • Like 1