Game-Labs Forum

Wind Shadows

I am sure this feature is implemented, yet I did not observe it, or if it will be.

When a ship passes behind another within a certain distance, cutting a proportion of their wind supply, the ship that has its wind supply decreased, naturally decreases speed.

This is something sailors do to each others in regatta before passing a competitor, to slow down the ship they want to pass. I know it under the name "stealing the wind".

This dynamic is explained in details in a 2003 movie called "WIND" directed by Caroll Ballard.

Does anyone know?

I'm almost positive that the developers said this was not implemented and would not be implemented as it was too minimal or something of that effect.

***Edit***

Here's the old topic and the admins response to it

http://forum.game-labs.net/index.php?/topic/1280-is-lee-wind-blocking-going-to-be-introduced/?p=27030

It won't be in game. It is a perfect undetectable trolling tool and there is no way to protect players against it.

It's not about the enemy, it's about a friendly intentionally using the mechanic to screw your own team over - a griefer.  Imagine someone sticking like glue to your windward side so as to make sure you can't make it to the fight in formation.  Since it's not easily detectable to ensure griefers don't abuse the mechanic, they've decided not to implement it.

My signature is a constant plea for wind shadow, just some dead air rectangles or triangles leeward of the sails. The devs listen, I think if the subject keeps cropping up, which it will, they will listen.

The fun of racing should never be underestimated and it might even be useful in battle.

It seems there are better ways for friendlies to grief already, a small temporary drop in speed seems a pretty innocuous inconvience.

This topic has been discussen by the def might wanna read more stealing wind is almost im possible.

In real life, stealing wind is quite easy and highly effective.  I have done it to other boats while racing Lasers and a Catalina 25', I have seen it done to great effect during the America's Cup.  In game, it is not turned on due to the potential for griefing.

• Like 1

If someone tried to grief me that way, I would just chainshot his sails. Problem solved.

he then can report your saildamage as an act of piracy..

I would never risk such a behavior myself :D

Just leafe this "feature" out of the game and- problem solved.

The admins have a goo understanding of the online crowd wich is in the majority a bunch of trolls. I tend to troll a lot in games, too (from time to time, not as a constand douchebag move).

If you take away everything that could be used to grief against players of your team, there is not much that could be left to play with.

Reminds me of those laws made to prevent of few form wrong doing which incidentally  deprave a lot more that would not do anything wrong, from their freedom!...

the point is that is not as much use to ingame at the moment or later so they instead work on other more important things for now wich Admin allready explained in another topic.

you can dislike it as much you want their point is reasonable and understandable

If you take away everything that could be used to grief against players of your team, there is not much that could be left to play with.

Reminds me of those laws made to prevent of few form wrong doing which incidentally  deprave a lot more that would not do anything wrong, from their freedom!...

Remember the first week of sea trials.

Pre-orders usually are bought by very motivated people, especially in our state of the game. But still there were team stacking, and some griefing. 

All other offenses leave the record, wind shadow does not, like keeping you in battle for long time for no reason. 

Wind shadow also needs to be calculated for every ship - thus potentially reducing the server performance. It also needs to be server based, otherwise hackers can switch it on off in the client. 

At this stage of development it will also take away resources from other important features. Later we can come back to this discussion. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I'm an experienced small boat sailor who has read and crewed on some tall ships and races a lot, and I was wondering if wind shadows effect a leeward's boat's speed at all, or if this was going to be added later on. I was also wondering if the sails are programed to go flat aback if you screw up the stays while tacking.

Not currently in the game and not planned last we head. Main issue is griefing and trolling, imagine a friendly who doesn't like you sitting beside you so you slow to a crawl in an important battle. Not so fun.

Yes I can see why there would be a bit of reluctance in this area but still, if they want this ti be a realistic sailing game, I would want them to add it, and just warn people that it can happen.

If you've ever played War Thunder, the loading screen always has little hints and such to help, and I've been building a list of them for this game. The warning about wind shadow is one of them.

• Like 1

One question to ask would be why would someone use a wind shadow to grief when they can more effectively grief you by firing into you, ramming you, prevent you from maneuvering, blocking your shot?

Because it is much harder to prove and punish than real damage.

P.S. For the record I want wind shadow and leeway.

Somewhere in another thread, @maturin suggested a very nice solution for the grieving concerns:

apply wind shadow only to enemy ships (ignore wind shadow from friendlies)!

and, of course, apply wind shadow from coastal features and islands to all ships (islands are not friendly :P)

Cheers

Brigand

In real life, stealing wind is quite easy and highly effective.  I have done it to other boats while racing Lasers and a Catalina 25', I have seen it done to great effect during the America's Cup.  In game, it is not turned on due to the potential for griefing.

Almost the whole strategy of the 34th AC was to stay out of the other's shadow, so I am in the strong belief that the "wind shadow" effect should be added. The fact that it could be used for greifing is a small price to pay for realism. 

Not currently in the game and not planned last we head. Main issue is griefing and trolling, imagine a friendly who doesn't like you sitting beside you so you slow to a crawl in an important battle. Not so fun.

Well as we have seen shooting, ramming, etc is obvious. Greifing through wind shadow is much more subtle but arguably worse.

And to those saying have it only on enemy ships.. but you want realism.

Well as we have seen shooting, ramming, etc is obvious. Greifing through wind shadow is much more subtle but arguably worse.

And to those saying have it only on enemy ships.. but you want realism.

Throwing "realism" into people's faces every time a mechanic is discussed is an extremely poor way of conducting an argument.  This isn't reality, it's a game that, to some degree, will attempt to reflect reality, but in a fun way.  Wind shadows are real, wind shadow griefing is quite real, and would be a major source of fun for those that are anti-social.  Implementing a mechanic to ensure that windshadow is a viable tactic to use on an enemy, while not fully realistic, would be a fun way to implement something realistic, without allowing griefers to ruin others fun.

If you're going to argue against implementing wind shadow on enemies only, please do so by pointing out some of the cons of doing so - such as not being able to maneuver in such a way as to cause one enemy to shadow another enemy's ship, creating a tactical advantage for yourself.