Game-Labs Forum

Preliminary discussion of the changes to conquest - clan wars are coming

11 hours ago, admin said:

check this https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Casa_de_Contratación  chartered companies existed and established control over cities and towns. Sometimes they fought each other. 
resources were never in the historical places with the exception of woods and fish
don't forget its a game too. Companies solve alt problem. Less problems = better game. 

Chartered companies, guilds, and societies all existed back then and still exist to this day.  BUT to say this is the sudden random direction you want to take the game because you read some wiki article on it... I would say is a mistake to say the least. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Sir Texas Sir said:

That is why war clans can fight other war clans in same nations.  Again what the diffrence if a bunch of players do the same?  It shouldn't matter if they are just a bunch of alts a big clan should be easly able to beat them.  

It all depends on how they eventually finalize the War companies and hoe the port battles work. If anyone from the nation can screen then it will be difficult for a smaller sized war company to capture a port, if on the other hand all the members of that small war company had max level alts in the nation of the War Company they want to attack it would be easier for them to do it as a civil war as they could not be screened out.

To put in in figures a 25 man War Company from Denmark wants to attack a 25 man British War Company port, if other members of the British nation can screen then they have little chance of making it into the battle, but if the 25 Danes had British alt War Company they could attack the same port without being screened and get a 25v25 battle, where the skill of the original 25 Danes would be what counts.

Just trying to foresee some possible issues that will depend on how they implement War Companies.

2 hours ago, JobaSet said:

lol wow if that is all you use it for you wasted your money.  But if you did do it for this reason you are actually hurting the game because you are not producing anything or results.

How is it hurting the game?  Pvp is pvp.  Pvp is content.  Pvp is the content of Naval Action.  Me creating one account to hunt vco or sorry guys at times we were in the same nation in no way hurts the game.  Now what does hurt the game is when people use alts to supplement their economy, because then people are using alts for labour hours and alts for more buildings instead of other players.  Or they use it to steal resources from other nations, that too hurts the game.  Or they use them with port battle, which is one of the main points of this thread.  Those things are what hurt the game.  As for spying, by that time vicious and sorry had already had 10 spy accounts in US chat (and every other nation) and it didn't matter if TDA had one in pirate chat.  Our spy account wasn't going to break the game.  Every nation has spies, so why can't I utilize the same knowledge others are utilizing?  I certainly wasn't the first, nor was I the last, considering I don't even do politics anymore and haven't spied on a nation in about a year.  And admin has clarified several times alts can be used for spying.  As for a waste of money.  I have 300 hours on my alt, which means 10 cents an hour for a $30 steam sale game over a year ago.  More money goes to Game Labs and I can play on a character that is in no way connected to my main account, which has provided entertainment at a rate of 10 cents an hour, combined with my main account which is 1 cent an hour.  Going to some movies costs $20 for 2 hours (not counting gas, popcorn, pop).  Compare that to Naval Action.  There are a lot of things I could tell people are sources of significant waste of their money.  $70 for Naval Action for going on 3 years of entertainment for me?  Nope.  Plus, what is a waste to me is really no business of anyone else.  It was my choice, and in no way hurt the game, but added to the amount of copies Game Labs has sold, has provided a decent value of entertainment for me at 10 cents an hour, and provided Open World content in areas there wasn't much pvp content.  Producing or results has nothing to do with it.  For both of my accounts combined, I have spent 2 cents an hour playing naval action over the course of 3 years, and that only counts what steam sees on the two accounts.  It doesn't count out of game entertainment in the forums or developing web tools or maps.

7 minutes ago, Archaos said:

To put in in figures a 25 man War Company from Denmark wants to attack a 25 man British War Company port, if other members of the British nation can screen then they have little chance of making it into the battle, but if the 25 Danes had British alt War Company they could attack the same port without being screened and get a 25v25 battle, where the skill of the original 25 Danes would be what counts.

Curious here, which clan has 25 max level alts that each alt is played by a separate person?  Point one out.  I am generally interested in which clan has that many alts in one enemy nation and can disrupt the system admin has proposed.  Granted, this clan can only disrupt one nation's system, it would have to have another alt clan for a different nation.  And if we ever figure out a clan is doing this, several war clans can just plop down several port battles at the same time against this clan and its alt clan and see how they handle several port battles at the same time.

Edited by Prater

11 hours ago, admin said:

Devil's advocate question

Wont separating cities into capturable and non capturable just create another rookie zone - changing game for everyone but changing nothing in reality? 

This is why I advocate a system where only the nations capital region is a Non-PvP zone for people to start out. All other ports and regions start out neutral for War Companies to capture in the name of their nation.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Prater said:

Curious here, which clan has 25 max level alts that each alt is played by a separate person?  Point one out.  I am generally interested in which clan has that many alts in one enemy nation and can disrupt the system admin has proposed.

Even if they dont have them now, if it is if benefit to them it will happen. 

When I first read this post I agreed with the problem, but did not see how most of the suggested stuff would help or add meaningful content to the game. Now it is making a lot more sense, so I'm starting to look forward to this now :)

I have some concerns about going back to the old system with single ports, flags and defensive timers. The main issues back then was the shotgun tactics that where used by the larger nations to grab ports and avoid real combat. We also struggled with the defence timers, because they where often/mostly set at times the defender knew the enemy where unable to attack. Just to avoid a real fight..

12 hours ago, admin said:

the problem is alts
3 alts can ruin the PB.. they will just quietly sail and do nothing.

But maybe the problem is overrated? 

Simplest solution: In flag based system, the one who creates the flag defines who get in.  If he decides to take those 3 random alts in, it is his decision.

12 hours ago, admin said:

Wont separating cities into capturable and non capturable just create another rookie zone - changing game for everyone but changing nothing in reality? 

Non capturable, could be starting zone.  In previous system the issue was that starting system was not in the capital where everyone else is.

2 hours ago, Prater said:

Curious here, which clan has 25 max level alts that each alt is played by a separate person?  Point one out.  I am generally interested in which clan has that many alts in one enemy nation and can disrupt the system admin has proposed.  Granted, this clan can only disrupt one nation's system, it would have to have another alt clan for a different nation.  And if we ever figure out a clan is doing this, several war clans can just plop down several port battles at the same time against this clan and its alt clan and see how they handle several port battles at the same time.

You keep asking this, but no one is going to tell you what alts their clans have or don't have man.  Hell didn't SORRY have almost a full clan of alts in SPAIN or something?   I will say that while pre-patch on PvP2 my clan had some of us roll either Danes or French with an alt char that could fight 4th rates and SOL fights and fill the off time slots for the CCCP (SEA Players) that couldn't fill US prime time.  Once the Dane/Swede/France small nation was able to show they can fill prime time port battles, the mega alliance of US/GB/DUTCH backed off on them.  As pirates was the only nation that could constantly field a full or close to against the mega alliance.  Still is after patch.  My pre-patch Dane is now my crafter pirate as with this patch I didn't see a reason to have my third char Danish, so now all three of mine are Pirates and I fight with two of them as they are both maxed out Curse, but I could easily roll my second one to some other nations. I have all my forge papers still.   

The problem is most of the other nations that have alts aren't organized to do something like this.  Hell they aren't even organized enough to field a full proper port battle team and not fight with each other the whole time. I predict we are going to see a lot of small clans get called alt clans cause they are going to say "Screw The Man" and go off make there own War Company and take ports in nation or others for there own.

7 hours ago, Skully said:

I like the idea to make it really hard on Pirates to get the ball rolling, but they do need a deep Free Port nearby to store their captures until they are ready to make the jump.

Otherwise I think it would be impossible for Pirates to capture a 4th rate port, let alone a deep one.

Kidds would be the Deep water that is away from the center main PvP/RvR area.  Though I still think pirates should not be an option at char creation and something you become in game not at start since it's suppose to be a hard core mode.  It's not suppose to be something some joe blow new guy jumps into and just starts playing.   

20 hours ago, admin said:

"Rookie zone" really implies they cannot be hunted and killed.

"RvR rookie zone" where cities cannot be captured is meaningless except to the extent it supplies a nation with needed resources. Even then, the traders moving those resources can be sunk.

So no. Getting your Trader Brig sunk by a Bellona means it's not really much of a rookie zone.

20 hours ago, admin said:

But maybe the problem is overrated? 

It is a possible problem that has come up on occasion.

It is not, by far, the biggest problem with port battles or why so few people engage in them.

On 8/7/2017 at 6:36 AM, Slamz said:

This will not be enough.

Remember in the old flag system there was also a window of opportunity which the defender could select. This was the only reason any flag ever got intercepted: we knew that in certain hours we had to be in the area and be ready in case there was a flag attempt.

Adding 30 minutes to the placement in a game where travel time can be 2+ hours and any battle can run for 90 minutes and the window for the flag attack is 24/7 means flags will rarely, if ever, get intercepted. Only in really hot areas that have players all the time will there be any flag interception action.

On PvP-Global it will just be night flags and night flips anyway.

This is why they should tie in the flag system with the hostility system. Hostility in a region should be a certain level before a flag can be pulled. That way you get warning that something is brewing if hostility starts rising. The only issue would be making it so hostility couldnt be raised too quickly.

23 hours ago, admin said:

How do you take over the port from a rogue clan without help of another nation?

I dont see rouge clans being that much of an issue, clans of the same nation may have different agendas and different styles of play, but if they each own their own ports and run them the way they want how is this a problem for the nation.

I can see allowing civil war creating more problems as then an outside nation can implant a War Company of alts in another nation with the goal of taking ports in a civil war and destabilizing the nation.

38 minutes ago, Archaos said:

I dont see rouge clans being that much of an issue, clans of the same nation may have different agendas and different styles of play, but if they each own their own ports and run them the way they want how is this a problem for the nation.

For example the clan causes war with other nation? Because they don´t respect the deal that other clans agreed on? I saw many examples of clans past the wipe (VLTRA, PAIN, ROYAL...) that did not like how other clans of their nation do play.

17 minutes ago, Armored_Sheep said:

For example the clan causes war with other nation? Because they don´t respect the deal that other clans agreed on? I saw many examples of clans past the wipe (VLTRA, PAIN, ROYAL...) that did not like how other clans of their nation do play.

If a War Company do this then they open up the ports they own to attack with the other War Companies in the nation doing nothing. e.g. if a single War Company in the British nation caused trouble with Spain when the rest of the British clans had a non-aggression treaty then the Spanish War Companies would attack that War Companies ports and it would have no affect on the non-aggression treaty with the rest of the nation.

It actually works out quite well in this case.

Yesterday i tried to get any PVP, as im for that in the game. As i (we) couldnt, we decided to go to the dutch waters from KPR. We sail there to search for enemies and after it we get back to KPR. We start at 17.00 H, we finished at 24.00. we could get 1 battle like 6v9, what was really good, but compared that we spent 7 hour for it, thats shame, crap and shit.

Top of that, when i come back i just colund stand the meaningless sailing, so i was AFK. My brand new endymion was just ganked on the way, while i wasnt there. i dont even know, who ganked me :)... 

Ur game is dead, and thats just because u still stick to ur bad developing. Till u dont understand, that this sailing time and the hard life in naval action (low PVE, very low PVP rewards) just will force players to leave, till u dont check rewievs on steam and understand that if 80%of leavers mention the shit OS sailing system and very long real life killer sailing time, u will stuck with a player number what will make the map dead. Now u want to copy paste a system from EVE online. I will tell u whats the problem with it. Appart form that u stick to this long sailing times, for that system the map is too small and the player base is too low. In EVE online the map and the player base is endless compared to naval action. Thatswhy there every size of corporations can be viable, so new players and players with low play time can enjoy the game aswell. In naval action HC players will get the territory from new players, from small guilds, small war companies, from low populated national players. I dunno how u imagine that any of war companies will be viable without certeain resources, but resources are spread on the map, so not only territory will be locked for small teams (companies, guilds), but the capability of ship building aswell. U make new reasons to leave the game and make bad reviews.  U want to go completly the opposite way u should, as most of the time in ur developing. Top of that i think there will be some ruler war companies can short the conquest wins (if there will be any win propability) to each others, what is always happened in ur systems earlier, when u forgot to make any balance.

U can expect a short, small player base growth after this patch, but as player dont trust u, u still stick to the hard mode (low rewards, extremly boring long sailing time, no balance), the boom will be short and player base will be about 100-400 player till the game will be closed.

If u check my posts, my foreseings just became true.

I dont want to repeat myself, i suggested systems for conquest, OS sailing, and for ur every problem. if u want u can look after them in my old posts, and use them for ur ideas. As u dont recive suggestions and u dont have the man and mindpower to make real new ideas (the conquest system u made is so simple, its without any balance, any good idea, it just doesnt solve any player leak issue- so its shame and laughable) the game is dead for me still.

I wish still the best to ur game and u.

As the big "Levin" told, the problem is not if u make  wrong a bad dish, the problem is when u make wrong a good one. U do it now...

Best regards ..

Edited by DrZoidberg
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, DrZoidberg said:

We start at 17.00 H, we finished at 24.00. we could get 1 battle like 6v9, what was really good, but compared that we spent 7 hour for it, thats shame, crap and shit.

Hear all the fanbois shouting how they always get pvp... they just forget to mention how long it takes them to find it... and without teleports ( teleport to freeport should be possible with player numbers being so low but with 4 - 8 hour cooldown imo or the actual teleport taking 20-30 min on or offline ) you can't just check all "hotzones" that usually have 2-3 people or 1-2 ganksquads roaming about. 

On 7.8.2017 at 10:23 AM, admin said:

NPC stores have their own prices. They focus on making their required margin and not more
So if someone sold repairs (for example captured repairs) to the store that does not consume repairs (free towns for example consume repairs and thus pay more)
They they would just mark those resources up for their margin and place on market

For example
If required margin is 100%. Then If NPC buys the item for 100 they will sell it for 200. They won't care if someone is selling it at 750. They want to sell first. 

There are 3 types of town for any resource
Producing - lowest prices
Normal - average prices 
Consuming - high prices (high purchase prices and even higher selling prices)

So if someone sells something in a producing port to NPC they will always relist that item at small margin and sell it cheap. they don't need it and want to get rid of it fast 

Could you please indicate these types of towns in the trader tool? Right now, this only works for ressources, not for repairs, materials and trading goods. Thank you.

On 7.8.2017 at 10:14 AM, admin said:

I like how you make up stuff out nothing and then get upset about something you just made up.I will repeat how the system works so you don't fall into that trap again. 

• AI DOES NOT MAKE ANY RESOURCE OR/AND MATERIAL. With the exception of trading resources and rare woods. 
  • AI DOES NOT HAVE ACCESS TO CONTRACTS

As a result you cannot get blocked by AI or you cannot be outcompeted by AI. All resources/materials sold on market were brought there by players or listed by players. 

The thing is someone SOLD the repairs to the AI and the AI price is then lower than your contract price.

27 minutes ago, DrZoidberg said:

Yesterday i tried to get any PVP, as im for that in the game. As i (we) couldnt, we decided to go to the dutch waters from KPR. We sail there to search for enemies and after it we get back to KPR. We start at 17.00 H, we finished at 24.00. we could get 1 battle like 6v9, what was really good, but compared that we spent 7 hour for it, thats shame, crap and shit.

Top of that, when i come back i just colund stand the meaningless sailing, so i was AFK. My brand new endymion was just ganked on the way, while i wasnt there. i dont even know, who ganked me :)... 

Ur game is dead, and thats just because u still stick to ur bad developing. Till u dont understand, that this sailing time and the hard life in naval action (low PVE, very low PVP rewards) just will force players to leave, till u dont check rewievs on steam and understand that if 80%of leavers mention the shit OS sailing system and very long real life killer sailing time, u will stuck with a player number what will make the map dead. Now u want to copy paste a system from EVE online. I will tell u whats the problem with it. Appart form that u stick to this long sailing times, for that system the map is too small and the player base is too low. In EVE online the map and the player base is endless compared to naval action. Thatswhy there every size of corporations can be viable, so new players and players with low play time can enjoy the game aswell. In naval action HC players will get the territory from new players, from small guilds, small war companies, from low populated national players. I dunno how u imagine that any of war companies will be viable without certeain resources, but resources are spread on the map, so not only territory will be locked for small teams (companies, guilds), but the capability of ship building aswell. U make new reasons to leave the game and make bad reviews.  U want to go completly the opposite way u should, as most of the time in ur developing. Top of that i think there will be some ruler war companies can short the conquest wins (if there will be any win propability) to each others, what is always happened in ur systems earlier, when u forgot to make any balance.

U can expect a short, small player base growth after this patch, but as player dont trust u, u still stick to the hard mode (low rewards, extremly boring long sailing time, no balance), the boom will be short and player base will be about 100-400 player till the game will be closed.

If u check my posts, my foreseings just became true.

I dont want to repeat myself, i suggested systems for conquest, OS sailing, and for ur every problem. if u want u can look after them in my old posts, and use them for ur ideas. As u dont recive suggestions and u dont have the man and mindpower to make real new ideas (the conquest system u made is so simple, its without any balance, any good idea, it just doesnt solve any player leak issue- so its shame and laughable) the game is dead for me still.

I wish still the best to ur game and u.

As the big "Levin" told, the problem is not if u make  wrong a bad dish, the problem is when u make wrong a good one. U do it now...

Best regards ..

The problem is not the OW sailing times it is knowing where to find PvP in such a big OW with a relatively small player base. I believe the solution is not to decrease OW sailing times but to find ways to get more people out to OW and create places where you know you will get PvP. At the moment that tends to be Nation Capital regions and thus you end up with the ganking of newbies etc.

I personally like the big OW map where you can find quiet areas and are not guaranteed to bump into people in the middle of nowhere. It gives the feeling of actually being at sea, you can sail for ages seeing no one but you have to keep watch because someone could appear. The issue in such a world is how do you generate these PvP hot zones where people can go knowing that they will get PvP. I think the current proposals for War Companies will help as Companies will have to be more active in defending their ports especially if they bring in things like port supplies.

I think some of the current failings in RvR is that PB's in most cases are really quite irrelevant as there is no real personal gain (apart from the battle enjoyment) from taking part in the battle, and once you have the port there is no real gain from keeping it, which has led to ports being traded back and forth. The control of resources has been nullified by alts so there is no reason to have a port for the supply of special woods etc. To make the RvR interesting there has to be some gain from holding ports, it has to be an income generator that means the owning Company does not have to spend time in PvE to generate money, they could even look at bringing back another currency like conquest marks for owners of ports (maybe now if more ports are available to be owned it wont be as bad as before).

I really think the OW game should revolve around the RvR, for people who just want quick battles then the Legends game will be more appropriate. But by the same token the RvR game should encourage people who like the open world but do not want to engage in RvR and be part of a War Company to get involved some way by creating targets for sole raiders, creating opportunities for traders etc.

Added complexity is not the solution to the failure of this game. The game needs casual players, and they need to be able to have fun and achieve some progress in the game. Making it more clan based and more complex is cutting off the growth from new and casual players. I have a clan of one. When I was in a clan I got ripped off by defectors going pirate. Never again. The devs seem to have no consistent long term idea for this game. Role a die and change direction. This game is a basket case.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Wynkyn de Worde said:

Added complexity is not the solution to the failure of this game. The game needs casual players, and they need to be able to have fun and achieve some progress in the game. Making it more clan based and more complex is cutting off the growth from new and casual players. I have a clan of one. When I was in a clan I got ripped off by defectors going pirate. Never again. The devs seem to have no consistent long term idea for this game. Role a die and change direction. This game is a basket case.

So how do you propose they make such a casual friendly game. Solo players at the moment have full freedom to go out and attack each other, trade and do what they want but yet there is not a whole lot of PvP. For the very casual player that is very short of time and does not have the time to seek PvP then the Legends game will probably suit them. 

For the OW game you need to have some complexity to make it work. They need to create front lines where the battles are fought, they need to give people a reason to own ports not just for colors on a map, they need to create meaningful trade to get merchants out on the seas etc. 

I know it seems frustrating and a case of 1 step forward and 2 back, but I think with discussing the mechanics like this before implementing it is the way to go, so we can have the arguments now and look to remove the exploits before it goes live.

• Like 1

Several problems can be solved by limiting the long time things to easier tasks.  For example, grinding a port can take a long time but if you create a passive button to add contention in some manner, which then updates the map, which then tells people there are people in that region, then you've 1) eliminated npc grinding for contention 2) easier notification to others of potential pvp 3) players are on OW and not in some invis battle for an hour.

PBs are the mainstay of RvR.  They take significant time, resources to do properly so could be considered not casual.  Remove PBs as RvR drivers and make that "raiding".  RvR can then be done per region by 3 day event style point system of pvp and passive patroling.  Even a casual can enter a zone, patrol for 30 mins, score a few points, leave and they've contributed to RvR. (My suggestion is on page 34)

Edited by Dharus
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Archaos said:

The problem is not the OW sailing times it is knowing where to find PvP in such a big OW with a relatively small player base. I believe the solution is not to decrease OW sailing times but to find ways to get more people out to OW and create places where you know you will get PvP. At the moment that tends to be Nation Capital regions and thus you end up with the ganking of newbies etc.

This.

Last night I know myself and 4 other people from TF and VCO went sailing around Mortimer.  We saw NO ONE the whole way up there from KPR.  When we got there we found a single Santisima and a few other smaller ships.  We attacked the Santi, and ended up in a fight with an Indefatigable, Santi, Renomee, Snow, and a Lynx.   We sank everything but the Snow who got away.   And was honestly the best sailor of the bunch.   

After we left the fight there was a "massive" revenge fleet of around 10 ships waiting.   We scattered to the four winds and lost most of them.   It was a good fight, but it was ONE fight, maybe two.   Not much else going on that night.   The Combat Clerk posts confirmed this.

It was one fight that took over an hour and a hour to get there and away.

Edited by Hodo

2 minutes ago, Hodo said:

This.

Last night I know myself and 4 other people from TF and VCO went sailing around Mortimer.  We saw NO ONE the whole way up there from KPR.  When we got there we found a single Santisima and a few other smaller ships.  We attacked the Santi, and ended up in a fight with an Indefatigable, Santi, Renomee, Snow, and a Lynx.   We sank everything but the Snow who got away.   And was honestly the best sailor of the bunch.   

After we left the fight there was a "massive" revenge fleet of around 10 ships waiting.   We scattered to the four winds and lost most of them.   It was a good fight, but it was ONE fight, maybe two.   Not much else going on that night.   The Combat Clerk posts confirmed this.

This highlights the problem even more. You went looking for battles and found a small one, then all of a sudden after the battle 10 ships appear in revenge. The question must be what were those 10 people doing before you attacked their countrymen? Were they just sitting in port?

The game seems to favor people sitting around waiting for something to happen rather than give them good reason to go out and do something. I sometimes get the impression that a lot of people play NA while watching youtube or doing something else and only react when something happens in game, then moan how there is nothing to do and they are bored.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Sir Texas Sir said:

fill the off time slots for the CCCP (SEA Players) that couldn't fill US prime time.

You weren't filling entire battle fleets with alts though.  You couldn't conquer the world with your alt fleets.  So can you take on a war clan with your alt fleet?  And even if you can, does it matter?  How is it any different in the proposed system if you are on your main accounts or alt accounts?  What is the difference?  It is your choice who you play as.  Nations don't matter anymore.  You aren't disrupting an entire nation now, and you can do as you please with your war clans.  Alt clan or main clan, doesn't matter, its still gameplay.  But the fact remains your alt clan won't be as powerful as your main, unless all your clan has a high level alt.

3 hours ago, Captain Lust said:

Hear all the fanbois shouting how they always get pvp... they just forget to mention how long it takes them to find it... and without teleports ( teleport to freeport should be possible with player numbers being so low but with 4 - 8 hour cooldown imo or the actual teleport taking 20-30 min on or offline ) you can't just check all "hotzones" that usually have 2-3 people or 1-2 ganksquads roaming about. 

Actually, no, I've posted in the past how long it takes me.  A hotzone doesn't have 2-3 people roaming.  That isn't a hotzone.  You can find pvp within 15 minutes if you know where to look.  And you can keep fighting for 3-4 hours of almost constant pvp with short 15 minute max breaks between if you please.  That is a hotzone.

Edited by Prater