Game-Labs Forum
Slamz

When will we give up and declare port battles a failed feature?

tl;dr: Port battles are a failed feature and should be eliminated in lieu of some superior port ownership change mechanic.

Port battles.

25v25!

The devs keep coming up with ways to have them and players are unrelenting in their quest to avoid having them. The whole reason we have an EU server separate from everyone else is so at least one group of people can experience prime time port battles. Everyone else mostly gets off-hour port battles and various ways to dodge that 25v25 setup.

Even when they work, you have a feature that 50 people get to experience once in a while out of a potential population of thousands.

This game works well as a fluid, seat-of-your-pants open world PvP game. These scheduled set-piece battles do not work, do not fit in and have been the cause of endless annoyance to the playerbase and not really a lot of fun.

Can we put a bullet in this idea already?

Can we come up with a better mechanic that leads to ports changing owners?

Idea #27(b)

PvP kills give you tokens which can be used to generate contention on any port. It cannot get more than 20% in one day and when it gets to 100%, the ownership just changes. Poof!

I'm all for this.  I'm no PB expert and have only been in about a dozen but that's enough of them to agree it's just not fun.  Not worth bothering over.  I don't know if the methodology of acquiring a POOF is correct, but no matter how you do it, this would be better.

IMO the difficulty of gaining a POOF changeover should be dependent upon and proportional to the size/population of the port.

I've had most of my fun in this game while doing Port Battles. And although RvR could still benefit from some improvements they do work as they are. On the EU server at least.

1 hour ago, Bart Smith said:

Pare powaznych zmian szykuje sie w NA - Admin ma poinformowac jutro (pewnie na forum)

Google Translate:
Several serious changes are preparing NA - Admin is supposed to inform tomorrow (probably in forum)

I think it's got to do with port battles.

Just now, Liquicity said:

Google Translate:
Several serious changes are preparing NA - Admin is supposed to inform tomorrow (probably in forum)

That is correct.

So your saying your going to loose two ports tomorrow cause you can't fill a port battle at that time one global.  Maybe you should of thought about that before attacking some one for a week straight.  You want war and your allies want war.  Your going to get it.   

As for the topic there still needs to be changes as to how you get agro and stuff. I'm sorry if your nation can't fill a time slot than take the port back in your prime time.  It's a global server for a reason  Maybe you need to recruit more SEA players or not piss off two big factions.   Ya'll been planing this little camp Mort thing for a while and we have know.  Guess what we been planing things too.   

35 minutes ago, Liquicity said:

Google Translate:

We will see.  I assume it has more to do with the grinding and flipping means as this trying to grind AI fleets isn't going to work on the long run.  It's easier to just bomb a port now than anything.  We have a full fleet of 15 1st rates to flip a port and we can't find hardly any ships to kill when we flip so what we do, well Bermuda was the first one we war bombed cause we knew there wouldn't be any PvP there even though that was where a bunch of US went to have a safe place (over a half a dozen 1st rates and even twice that in shops was seen leaving the morning of the port battle so they had ships there.  We caught a good number of ships coming out of there.   The problem about port battles and RvR is that the majority of the players aren't into that part of the game unless they are on the winning side and or has the sure win numbers.  Than suddenly when they don't all those guys showing up stop.

35 minutes ago, Slim Jimmerson said:

BRAISE DEVS! I hope its a step in the right direction

I think you mean PRAISE.... as BRAISE... is something you do in cooking...

Braised....

051099060-01-grilled-braised-beef-recipe

Praised

Praise-the-Lord-He-Never-Changes.png

1 hour ago, Slamz said:

tl;dr: Port battles are a failed feature and should be eliminated in lieu of some superior port ownership change mechanic.

Port battles.

25v25!

The devs keep coming up with ways to have them and players are unrelenting in their quest to avoid having them. The whole reason we have an EU server separate from everyone else is so at least one group of people can experience prime time port battles. Everyone else mostly gets off-hour port battles and various ways to dodge that 25v25 setup.

Even when they work, you have a feature that 50 people get to experience once in a while out of a potential population of thousands.

This game works well as a fluid, seat-of-your-pants open world PvP game. These scheduled set-piece battles do not work, do not fit in and have been the cause of endless annoyance to the playerbase and not really a lot of fun.

Can we put a bullet in this idea already?

Can we come up with a better mechanic that leads to ports changing owners?

I can't really say that I agree with much in this statement. Other than PvP is great. But so are PBs and they are a shitload of fun to participate in. What is not fun atm is generating hostility for them - that needs a lot of work. To say that it "doesn't fit in" and that it causes endless annoyance is both biaced, unnuanced and projects your personal feelings at the moment onto the playerbase in general. I for one does not share them. The notion about "off-hours" is rather ridiculous.. the global server is global - Meaning there are no "off-hours". If you want a serverlocked PB schedule - the EU server serves that audience. I don't play the global server, mostly because I can't be bothered to grind yet another toon, but I do acknowledge that the game is strenghtened by options for serverlocked PBs and open scheduled PBs. 

21 minutes ago, Sir Texas Sir said:

So your saying your going to loose two ports tomorrow cause you can't fill a port battle at that time one global.  Maybe you should of thought about that before attacking some one for a week straight.  You want war and your allies want war.  Your going to get it.  

Which has been the source of much rejoicing. 

17 minutes ago, Sir Texas Sir said:

The problem about port battles and RvR is that the majority of the players aren't into that part of the game unless they are on the winning side and or has the sure win numbers.  Than suddenly when they don't all those guys showing up stop.

I think you hit it on the head. The average player isn't necessarily going to play in a port battle, most don't have the ships, or time or generally don't want to be involved with it. 

Maybe flipping a port after one battle isn't the answer. I'd think maybe multiple battles over a week, best of 3 maybe? That would slow it down, which is what I think it needs at the moment. But, if they ever went with having multiple PB's to flip a port, they rewards for that should be very high for the victor to make it worth the effort. Just an idea.

2 hours ago, Slamz said:

Crazy talk..

What!? RvR and port battles is the only thing that maters.  I'm not sure what you guys are doing, but I trade, grind and assist is a lot of time consuming shit in this game JUST FOR THE CHANCE AT A 25 vs 25 Port Battle.  

Just because you do not enjoy it does not equal that nobody enjoys it. 

2 minutes ago, Tiedemann said:

What!? RvR and port battles is the only thing that maters.  I'm not sure what you guys are doing, but I trade, grind and assist is a lot of time consuming shit in this game JUST FOR THE CHANCE AT A 25 vs 25 Port Battle.  

You have a point, it is one of the aspects of Naval Action.

Personally, and diverting a bit, the entry point to Conquest should be progressive and not a all or nothing rush.

Meaning scalable entry level to conquest, shallow, heavy frigate and SOL access according to player progression and not entirely dedicated to whomever did get whatever and rank :)

Same with OW PvP, we have a all or nothing jungle at the moment.

How to entice players with less than 100 hours, even if low skill into getting their hands bloody in the conquest aspect of the game. 

Let's say we don't have to deal with a couple hundred players but thousands. Will you not want new guys to learn before they reach rank ?

Have low rank dedicated PBs, mid career PBs and then all Trafalgar glory for the salty sunburnt veterans ?

The more player the better says I. And let them enjoy all aspects of the game, progressively, without constant interference from "above" :)

2 hours ago, Slamz said:

Idea #27(b)

PvP kills give you tokens which can be used to generate contention on any port. It cannot get more than 20% in one day and when it gets to 100%, the ownership just changes. Poof!

Only PvP kills of combat ships that shoot back.. :)

49 minutes ago, Tiedemann said:

It's one of the many things of this game.  I enjoy the crafting part of the game along with the PvP and RvR.  I actually not a fan of SOL's and prefer the Frigate fights and the Small Ship Port battles. I think pushing a button and alpha striking each other while side by side is kinda of boring, but hay that is me, some folks live for only those battles.

42 minutes ago, The Red Duke said:

You have a point, it is one of the aspects of Naval Action.

Personally, and diverting a bit, the entry point to Conquest should be progressive and not a all or nothing rush.

Meaning scalable entry level to conquest, shallow, heavy frigate and SOL access according to player progression and not entirely dedicated to whomever did get whatever and rank :)

Same with OW PvP, we have a all or nothing jungle at the moment.

How to entice players with less than 100 hours, even if low skill into getting their hands bloody in the conquest aspect of the game. 

Let's say we don't have to deal with a couple hundred players but thousands. Will you not want new guys to learn before they reach rank ?

Have low rank dedicated PBs, mid career PBs and then all Trafalgar glory for the salty sunburnt veterans ?

The more player the better says I. And let them enjoy all aspects of the game, progressively, without constant interference from "above" :)

That is one of the things I love about this game is there is so many different aspect to this game that any player type can play and have fun.  The problem is when folks want to RvR when they only have numbers or the winning team.  Remember all them empty ports every one get from Spanish that folks where fighting over to get inside?  Yah when there is free win every one and their mothers come out, but when you have to actually fight no one wants to show up.

Though the problem where you make PvP the only way to get a port battle is simply put every one that just not show up out side to fight and the ports will never get flipped.  

I do think they need to tweek some of the system still.

Needs to be tweaked for sure.

Imagine a new guy, grind his eyes out to reach RA, 1st rate and all and always gets put away because...reasons.

He did it because it is his favourite NA dream playtime but never gets in due to the minority %% monopolizing the slots at all three levels...

... bloody hell, i'd simply would lose interest and if I wouldn't have any love for frigates and unrated maybe i'd sit out and wait for a change.

Lower population is to blame, the Darwin legacy says the stronger will prevail and the less strong will simply and silently move away.

So we need a robust system that bring people in, that gives them the experience, not at the start but at least being accessible to them at Captain but not monopolized by Admirals as they already passed that phase.

13 minutes ago, The Red Duke said:

Needs to be tweaked for sure.

Imagine a new guy, grind his eyes out to reach RA, 1st rate and all and always gets put away because...reasons.

He did it because it is his favourite NA dream playtime but never gets in due to the minority %% monopolizing the slots at all three levels...

... bloody hell, i'd simply would lose interest and if I wouldn't have any love for frigates and unrated maybe i'd sit out and wait for a change.

Lower population is to blame, the Darwin legacy says the stronger will prevail and the less strong will simply and silently move away.

So we need a robust system that bring people in, that gives them the experience, not at the start but at least being accessible to them at Captain but not monopolized by Admirals as they already passed that phase.

We have told the smaller clans they are more than welcome to go flip a port if they want battles.  We are allowed 3 port battles at a time and we try to never have more than one scheduled for that reason and to keep open for defense attacks.  Now the issue is if they would have numbers and be able to match the numbers of the other nation.  

The West End port battle recently actually could of been done to help new players if some one came to us and asked us about it.  Specially now that we have the leader position and a point spread from the Brits.   The problem was they started to flip that for an off time and than try to play it off as they talked to us.  NO THEY DID NOT TALK TO ANY OF US.   

Me and you even joked in PM about the Mortar Brig Port Battle and doing other fun things like that where the winner doesn't matter.  If two nations can get on proper terms than something like this can be worked out, but we know that US wants the Bahamas and if they win a region they will keep pushing even if the agreement is to just swap West End (a port that doesn't mean anything) back and forth in friendly fights.  I would love to arrange one where we let all the new clans and lower level guys just go in and fight it out.  Maybe have a rule to not cap the circles and only fight out at one circle or fun.

A lot of our new players and some of the old ones need to practice fighting and AI helps, but it doesn't really teach you how to fight another player.  The only way your going to get better is by fighting more and more.

True, that's a fair point. I mean, a certain degree of organization is needed of course.

The setup battles may cement things but also not having that "thing" to fight hard for can be lost with set piece.

Ai on the other hand teaches how to manage ship and how to stay alive, so no shame in retreat when learning ( hell no shame in retreat when a sea rover type playstyle ).

Only by trying and having the opportunity to experiment different types of battles in game, from missions up to PBs, can a player decide what he likes best right ? Many players that did join and stopped never had a taste of these big clashes. Maybe due to what you expose but also due to barred doors.

I would not enjoy to see PBs go, at all. If anything make them way more accessible and throw a liquid flow dynamics to the map.

There's nothing written that it has to be always the same troop defending the line, actually that's the worst thing for a nation or a clan :)

About Time! Please be the induction of raids to raise hostility and required verity in ship rates!

I still think we need a longer time till Points in teh PB start counting up.. Like not till battle closes...

Then When Battle Closes each side get s a Reinforcement at the edge of the battle futhest behind it. of AI #rd rate sin a Line ship battle a mix on Connies and Ingers in a 4th rate battle(one reason I wish it was a 5th rate battle instead)...  Being able to man the Forts would be nice to... But in doing this you can still do a PB with a 1/2 dozen or even a dozen layers...