Game-Labs Forum

Finally beat the game on MG. Here are my stats and some thoughts on the game as whole

barrydylan

A sense of sadness seems to have struck me with things here.  I play the game on CSA to challenge myself from a military strategy standpoint. Nothing else. If a person feels that they have to attached a personal statement about the course of history then that's free speech isn't it? But people opposite of that statement also have the right to disagree, that's free speech too.  The sadness comes from reading the words with perhaps the intent to hit the other over the head with it to claim a sense of betterment.  And do it in a way without respect. How we feel is entirely our own way. What I see here in the US now is that the "acceptable" way anymore is to clobber anyone who doesn't see it the same way.  And that wouldn't be too bad except there seems to be a lot of hatred in the expression of thoughts anymore. I come to this game to simply challenge myself mentally and keep my aging brain cells from getting lazy. The same way I enjoy playing chess.

I thought the summary of his observations were tremendously helpful and insightful. But when I got to the last part it ruined it for me. If I want to hear stuff like that I just turn on the news for 5 minutes and move on. I begin to wonder though as we all form our own opinions about the US Civil War, Do any of us really truly understand the whole underlying current at the time the war started? Yes, we read books. And the more I read the more I see that each author saw it from their own perspective. And the farther removed from living in the actual period the more biased the view I think. Just my opinion and I force it on no one.

But the opinion expressed has got me thinking I need to dust off Volume 1, The Story of the Civil War by Ropes. I recall he spent the first chapter of the book discussing the myriad of causes.  The part of the book about the opening shots of the war and all that led up to it is absolutely fascinating reading. Chapter 1 is The States and the Union. And now I will reread it. If just to relive the situation of Major Anderson commanding the forts in South Carolina. Talk about a guy in a tough spot...wow. If you haven't read of him or his role at the beginning it makes for great reading. 

I guess to quote Jeff Daniels..."Sorry I didn't mean to preach".  I come to the forums to be amazed at the intellect, the ability to form strategies, read about your successes, failures of game play and the game itself. And yes,  be amazed at the Soldier's exploits! I come to be entertained and get away.

Be well all, time for me to start Gaines Mill as the CSA. I'll leave the hatred out of the game play!

• Like 2