Game-Labs Forum

Death of a server.

Aussie Pastor

To turn the map "Black" is no help to anyone that wants to PvP.

But that is the excuse I get, when asking WHY are you attacking NOOB Area?

Answer; Cause of your Nation’s infighting and we don’t like so and so…

It a PvP game, stop being a “CareBear”…..What other Successful MMO allows High Level player attack NOOBS?.....Remember I said Successful!!!

So, then the new guys that going to join in a weeks’ time joins and see Nation Chat MORALE so low you can then parachute from the snakes proverbial behind.

In the Team Speak I sit in the population has done the same as the other I’ve seen in the history of this game.

Devs stuff up the MMO Fundamentals or even Basic common-sense structure for a closed/defined sandbox, Never Permanently ban TOXIC ACCOUNT like other successful MMO’s.

Until the playing community, itself; rallies to start using smart, wise and common-sense strategies, this game will NEVER recover to its PreSteam release days.

So from Down under again “hooroo”

Edited by Aussie Pastor

There are two main player types that keep the server alive:

1. PvPers that fight in OW, Gank, Screen, Guard and RvR, the latter being the most resource intense. 

2. Crafters and Traders that directly supply their Clans with Line Ships / PvP ships on a steady basis

Very often in bigger clans 1 and 2 are the same people doing both roles, but sometimes you see someone who just trades and gives buys ships for others.

There is also another player type:

3. The Leecher - this player claims to be a PvPer, or claims to be a Crafter/Trader, but actually is neither. These players take resources, money, ships, and hoard them inside ports. They weaken whichever nation they are part of because they don't show up to fight. The Leechers might as well be playing a PvE game.  Their line ships stay in ports. They are afraid of sinking. They tend to talk a lot in Global but never show up in PvP screenshots, not even as the ones sunk.

The demand increase due to leechers is not justified by their contribution to the Server. They never contribute to PvP by hiring guards from the PvPers. They would rather take a 30% loss on income than spend 30% of profits on rewarding defenders. 

Leechers are the dead flesh of the server, weighing it down while providing minimal content - they can occasionally be caught in their trade ships but their response is to either eat the losses or switch hours or use alts to spot for themselves.

If you analyze the server from this perspective, you will find out that the actual LIVE factions on the server are doing just fine:

The French are having PvP and have a growing community of clans, despite the earlier civil war. The Danes are having an influx of ex-GB players that might build it up. The Dutch seem more active in PvP in the past week, with French bringing it to their doorstep.  

The actual PvP players in US faction, particularly the new PARF clan, seem to be having a blast even when facing the strongest opponents. 

Some people show up and have fun and get sunk and learn and improve. Even if it takes dozens of sinkings, they have a chance to eventually grow. The people who give up and lose hope become Leechers and are no longer part of the life on the server anyway - they are the only ones who get threatened by RvR doomsday scenarios. The leecher will find a hundred excuses to not show up to a port battle, to waste resources building ships that never help their faction.

The server is threatened by Leechers, not by people that show up to RvR. A fighter will always adapt and find his way to PvP and growth. 

• Like 5

I'm not playing the PvP2.. But to be honest it seems odd to me that morale is affected in anyway by the loss of some regions. As long as there's a capacity to build smaller ships like the renos, the surps and the frigs I couldn't care less if the nation I'm in has 15 regions or 2. I would still be able to go out, kill off some players and generally have a good time hunting.

There's a lot of talk about "newbies" or the more derogatory term "Pubbies", but I've been playing on the PvP1 EU server for more than a year and I went out hunting the second I could get 120 crew crammed into a snow. I got my ass kicked. Then I went back to the PvE grind and came back to hunting when I could cram 240 crew into a reno - BAM! instant love. And this was when the ships was radically improved with gold upgrades that I simply couldn't afford. At this current point in time I've been called anything from titty-baby to flat out cunt for killing ppl in OW PvP - I've even been accused of ganking when I was out solo-hunting - by ppl who were max rank and worthless in PvP. 

This game doesn't have "maxed" rank players and "noobs" in a definable sense as other MMOs where you can grind to lvl 50 and then get end-game gear..

Edited by Guest

21 minutes ago, Bearwall said:

I'm not playing the PvP2.. But to be honest it seems odd to me that morale is affected in anyway by the loss of some regions. As long as there's a capacity to build smaller ships like the renos, the surps and the frigs I couldn't care less if the nation I'm in has 15 regions or 2. I would still be able to go out, kill off some players and generally have a good time hunting.

There's a lot of talk about "newbies" or the more derogatory term "Pubbies", but I've been playing on the PvP1 EU server for more than a year and I went out hunting the second I could get 120 crew crammed into a snow. I got my ass kicked. Then I went back to the PvE grind and came back to hunting when I could cram 240 crew into a reno - BAM! instant love. And this was when the ships was radically improved with gold upgrades that I simply couldn't afford. At this current point in time I've been called anything from titty-baby to flat out cunt for killing ppl in OW PvP - I've even been accused of ganking when I was out solo-hunting - by ppl who were max rank and wort

Back on PvP2 when we did operation Camel Toe we had three regions.  Mort, Kidds and Castries.   We got tired of being picked on by US that brought us down to those regions cause we where lacking in numbers.  We got a lot of old players back with he concept of the operation.   We took two regions on each side of CT and they still had 22 other regions and they cried they where done with, one ported, it's over, they are leaving the game.  These are the same folks doing the same complaining when they loose a region.  When we took Savanna on GLOBAL they had 10 regions, but they gave 5 of those up to the Brits shortly after that but they complain we are the ones one ported us.   We only took Savanna cause they attacked two of our ports and had port battles they lost and than they tried to do a dual port battle by flipping two ports at once.  So we striked where it hurts hardest a region next to the capitatl.  We did the same with the brits and they still doing just fine and have 22 something regions still even though we have taken a lot of ports from the Brits.  Up till today we have not touched a single port of US, but since they decided to flip a port into the port battle it's wrong for us to strike back?  I mean it's only Bermuda.  Which we hear is where they keep all there 1st rates and do missions grind in safety.  

The problem is if it's the Pirates we are zerging or one porting them even if they have 20 something ports. If it's any other nation it's ok. 

Hell we told the US they can go into the Gulf and we won't bother them if they want a safe zone.  We have no plan to go into the GoM at all.

• Like 1

The Global server is transitioning at the moment imho, quite a number of British players have spread out into other Nations.  So it seems right now , that our server is alive, the level of toxicity isn't any worse than any other game that I have played recently, albeit I haven't played League Of Legends but I am a veteran World Of Warcraft player, I understand clans, factions and toxicity.

I think with a bit more balance of the Nations, Global will be a great area to be testing the game out, which is what us guinea pigs are doing right now.

Seeing people you have played with for a few years, go off to another faction because of rifts in the nation isn't abnormal. I've personally never had a friend who I haven't had a really good row with. Being down in the mouth about huge arguments taking place within nations and clans is normal

i'm not quite sure why people expect an MMO to be much different to real life , with regards to how people behave and such towards others

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Vizzini said:

The Global server is transitioning at the moment imho, quite a number of British players have spread out into other Nations.  So it seems right now , that our server is alive, the level of toxicity isn't any worse than any other game that I have played recently, albeit I haven't played League Of Legends but I am a veteran World Of Warcraft player, I understand clans, factions and toxicity.

I think with a bit more balance of the Nations, Global will be a great area to be testing the game out, which is what us guinea pigs are doing right now.

Seeing people you have played with for a few years, go off to another faction because of rifts in the nation isn't abnormal. I've personally never had a friend who I haven't had a really good row with. Being down in the mouth about huge arguments taking place within nations and clans is normal

i'm not quite sure why people expect an MMO to be much different to real life , with regards to how people behave and such towards others

/ Signed

And may I add - one thing I believe is missing in the game is the ability to craft the forged papers.. Sure some players would relish the chance to switch to the "winning" side, but then again most players like me would stop playing the winning side the second it became the winning side. Where's the challenge in winning over an inferior opponent? I've played Denmark-Norway (as a dane it was the natural choice) and we've never been the "winning" side which haven't forced me to reconsider my allegiances but if we came to the point where DK/NG owned the map I would be forced to consider if my time wasn't better spent in one of the other factions. The ability to even out/balance the server within the current playerbase is invaluable - provided it be made prohibitively expensive to switch too often.. 2k combat marks for forged papers or so.. 

4 hours ago, Aussie Pastor said:

To turn the map "Black" is no help to anyone that wants to PvP.

But that is the excuse I get, when asking WHY are you attacking NOOB Area?

Answer; Cause of your Nation’s infighting and we don’t like so and so…

It a PvP game, stop being a “CareBear”…..What other Successful MMO allows High Level player attack NOOBS?.....Remember I said Successful!!!

So, then the new guys that going to join in a weeks’ time joins and see Nation Chat MORALE so low you can then parachute from the snakes proverbial behind.

In the Team Speak I sit in the population has done the same as the other I’ve seen in the history of this game.

Devs stuff up the MMO Fundamentals or even Basic common-sense structure for a closed/defined sandbox, Never Permanently ban TOXIC ACCOUNT like other successful MMO’s.

Until the playing community, itself; rallies to start using smart, wise and common-sense strategies, this game will NEVER recover to its PreSteam release days.

So from Down under again “hooroo”

Attend to PB's, try and then we might have some sympathy to give you guys a break.

The problem of the game is not the attitude of their players.

I foresaw a long ago that the average "PVP warrior" - after having asked for a hardcore game and having got it - would have put the blame on the "carebears" for the fact that those players, instead of "adapting", leave the game o play it the shy way. PVPers tend in fact to forget that the backbone of every MMO (even PVP and sandbox ones) is the PVE/carebear community that produces the resources that PVP players consume.

The actual problems of the game are far worse, and they are:

- the fact that the most of time spent ingame is wasted in doing boring things that - unfortunately - are needed to have a few minutes of fun;

- the fact that the game has so many timesinks, that it requires a lot of time to spend in the game to do every single thing properly (PVP, RVR, trade, manufacturing: every single thing takes a lot of hours of game to get decent results and missions are always the same and take quite a chunk of time as well);

- the fact that there is not much content available (let's be honest, in this game you can do five things: RvR, OS pvp, craft, trade, repeat the same missions);

- the fact that the life of a newbie is a sort of nightmare (a steep learing curve without any tutorial and in a game that has unusually harsh and unforgiving game mechanics).

This situation simply scares away the most part of casual players and newbies, so that only a small niche of veteran players like/are able play it.

Due to the apparent lack of development of new kind of contents in the near future, I highly doubt that the tide will turn. Instead: thing may turn worse, if possible, when naval action legends will be launched, since a lot of vetarn players will go there to find their fun and will leave the MMO ocean even more empty.

What other Successful MMO allows High Level player attack NOOBS?.....Remember I said Successful!!!

PlanetSide 2. Although it did shunt away the hardcore RvR players in early development, going for the FPS players instead.

IMO original exploits used to roll US and GB capital ports ruined both of those nations and is why we're having the problems we have today.

I said it from the beginning and I'll say it again, devs should've reversed the damage done there and stopped it in its tracks before it got out of hand.

Now noobs are getting ganked in capital waters and there is nothing either nation can do to get those ports back aside from sending multiple waves of 1st rate fleets to die until the enemy is weak enough to be dealt with, which would take weeks, possibly months and require hundreds of hours of in game time.

Edited by Slim Jimmerson

What other Successful MMO allows High Level player attack NOOBS?.....Remember I said Successful!!!

From top of my memory (and I'm sure there are more to this list):

Ultima Online
Asheron's Call 1 Darktide
Ever Quest 1 Zek
Darkfall Online
EVE Online
DAoC
Vanguard
Shadowbane
AOC
Mortal Online
Conan
WOW (pvp server)

All those were/are successful. Some of them are no longer around due to being old. Some failed like Shadowbane, but due to some bad mechanics but definitely 100% beyond any doubt nto due to griefing, PK or killing newbs.

Full freedom of killing anyone as you wish is what made those games successful in their own right.
In NA I believe should be Softcore PVP server with some nation permanent land (more than just a capital) and when people from same nation cant attack each other, and Hardcore PVP when its just Free-For-All

Edited by koltes

A successful nation needs only the capital region and 1 region next to the enemies. Teleports assure that it will remain that way :)

But that's a old old talk and opinions diverge as much as the speed bonuses percentage output.

Going into port battles is good, some players will see that trafalgars is not their thing and dedicated themselves heart and soul to ow pvp, others do feel the call for the line of battle and decide to invest their time towards more of it.

It is a win win situation.

I love how many of you are talking about thing like it is fine.

Well, when the population get back to pre steam level then come and tell me how it is going.

I saw the death of PotBS when Sony had it.

Plus other games, patterns are the same.

2 hours ago, Sir Texas Sir said:

These are the same folks doing the same complaining when they loose a region.  When we took Savanna on GLOBAL they had 10 regions, but they gave 5 of those up to the Brits shortly after that but they complain we are the ones one ported us.   

No one complains that you took the port,

they complain because you EXPLOITED to take the port, and the devs did nothing but ban the alt for 2 weeks

Edited by Slim Jimmerson
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, koltes said:

From top of my memory (and I'm sure there are more to this list):

Ultima Online, Asheron's Call 1 Darktide, Ever Quest 1 Zek, Darkfall Online, EVE Online, DAoC, Vanguard, Shadowbane, AOC, Mortal Online, Conan, WOW (pvp server)

All those were/are successful. Some of them are no longer around due to being old. Some failed like Shadowbane, but due to some bad mechanics but definitely 100% beyond any doubt nto due to griefing, PK or killing newbs.

Full freedom of killing anyone as you wish is what made those games successful in their own right.
In NA I believe should be Softcore PVP server with some nation permanent land (more than just a capital) and when people frm same nation cant attack each other, and Hardcore PVP when its just Free-For-All

So I know you are not telling the truth, you added Eve online, have you forgotten high, low sec?

Do I have to say more.

Everybody please read my words carefully, till we have an average of 1000 player again, all your argument lose it credibility.

you are ALL starting on a false premise.

Pre Steam Level, 60 players.

Post public EA, 5500 players high water mark.

Rough estimate across all timezones monthly, 20k unique accounts !? ( not going to search the admin post about this number but is out there )

There's plenty of people that play once a week or so for a half a dozen hours on a saturday.

You simply don't see their names that often.

12 minutes ago, Aussie Pastor said:

So I know you are not telling the truth, you added Eve online, have you forgotten high, low sec?

Do I have to say more.

Everybody please read my words carefully, till we have an average of 1000 player again, all your argument lose it credibility.

you are ALL starting on a false premise.

I have killed plenty of newbs in high sec before moving to zero. Also early EVE was much harsher than it is nowadays, but that is want made it so good

I think its your entire topic started on a false premise and wrong assumption 

Edited by koltes

6 minutes ago, The Red Duke said:

Pre Steam Level, 60 players.

Post public EA, 5500 players high water mark.

Rough estimate across all timezones monthly, 20k unique accounts !? ( not going to search the admin post about this number but is out there )

There's plenty of people that play once a week or so for a half a dozen hours on a saturday.

You simply don't see their names that often.

When I posted the March tally's of PvP2 servers a lot of folks said those must be alts cause there is no way that many folks logged in.  What they don't understand even if the servers says 200 or 20000 at one time that is at that current time and doesn't count the folks that only pop in and out and are casual players that play only an hour or two a day. I took breaks where I only popped in to do my econ and than logged off while we waited on patch updates.  Not every one has tons of hours and we don't expect every one to be hard core players.  The casual players are the back bone of the game.  That doesn't mean we should count them out of PvP or RvR numbers.  Any one can show up and help fill a slot in a port battle if you need it and they want to help.  Back in POTBS some of our best PvP players started out as traders that got into the RvR and than the PvP and loved it.  Same with some of our clan members started out on PvE to learn the game. Than we have a few that only pop on for port battles as they can't stand the open world grind stuff.  This game has a lot of options for players.  Folks just need to get them interested in helping out the other aspect of them.  Would really love an updated tally like the March one for the servers right now.  Folks prob will be surprised that a lot more players log in than they think through out the day.

dFbC8bb.png

7 minutes ago, Slim Jimmerson said:

No one complains that you took the port,

they complain because you EXPLOITED to take the port, and the devs did nothing but ban the alt.

Really can you stop beating the dead horse.  Show me exactly where my name is any where other than comments on that threads?   I'm not in the screen shot or any where else, so if you want to accuse me of exploiting you better have some proof.   REPORTED AGAIN.

Oh during that fight I was over here as yes some of us got screened and separated from the rest. I never even made it into the port battle as we had 25 players but what only 18 made it in there and ya'll gave up without a shot fired.  So blame your nation as to why you lost that port battle not us.  Just like I'm all ready hearing your nation is telling ya'll not to show up to Bermuda too.  You don't win any fights by hiding and not defending.   That is why your nation is failing, not cause of us. If anything we are making folks stronger with all the PvP that has been happening out side your capital since we took that port.  

bnVAVf9.jpg

8 minutes ago, Sir Texas Sir said:

you mistake me for trying accuse you personally for using the alt,  or to insult your clan and your skills. There is no need to defend yourself in that regard.

I'm simply pointing out where the problem lies, that capital that have been taken are the FOB for noobs getting ganked in capital waters.

Capital ports that where taken by exploit, should've been given back promptly. Now thats its a bit late for that, the only option the nations have is to either use exploits/find a new loophole for their own, or to spend tons of hours in game, and money in game to attrition the occupants out.

Edited by Slim Jimmerson

2 minutes ago, Slim Jimmerson said:

Again, you mistake me for trying accuse you personally for using the alt,  or to insult your clan and your skills. There is no need to defend yourself in that regard.

I'm simply pointing out where the problem lies, that capital that have been taken are the FOB for noobs getting ganked in capital waters.

Capital ports that where taken by exploit, should've been given back promptly. Now thats its a bit late for that, the only option the nations have is to either use exploits/find a new loophole for their own, or to spend tons of hours in game, and money in game to attrition the occupants out.

You are really that thick aren't you? Even if you say there was an exploit on out part this only granted us the ENTRY into PB. US lost their port for not fighting in it.

Let me chew this up for you. US and GB are loosing because this game is about fighting. All you trying to do is avoid fight. It can only work for so long, but sooner or later you will have to fight. This is where your problem is. Can you tell me when was it last time your nations won BLACK x25 on x25? 

Going forward, lets say there is another port wipe. You get your dots back. Now when you have to bring proper force to tag out fleet what are you goint to do? Your only option is to fight and win fights if you want to win the wars.

You cant just dodge fights one after another and call it a victory. 

LOL

1 minute ago, koltes said:

You are really that thick aren't you? Even if you say there was an exploit on out part this only granted us the ENTRY into PB. US lost their port for not fighting in it.

Let me chew this up for you. US and GB are loosing because this game is about fighting. All you trying to do is avoid fight. It can only work for so long, but sooner or later you will have to fight. This is where your problem is. Can you tell me when was it last time your nations won BLACK x25 on x25? 

Going forward, lets say there is another port wipe. You get your dots back. Now when you have to bring proper force to tag out fleet what are you goint to do? Your only option is to fight and win fights if you want to win the wars.

You cant just dodge fights one after another and call it a victory. 

LOL

Um....... it was an exploit? Did you read the tribunal? Interfering PB with an alt is....infact....an exploit....

Idk what you're getting at here in the rest of your post

2 minutes ago, Slim Jimmerson said:

Again, you mistake me for trying accuse you personally for using the alt,  or to insult your clan and your skills. There is no need to defend yourself in that regard.

You tagged me and said /YOU/ which I will take as accusation I did something wrong.   You need to watch how you say things than if that isn't what you mean.

The port was not lost because of an exploit.  The port was lost cause US left the PB before a shot was fired and gave it up without a fight.   No amount of screen was going to stop that and we didn't get all 25 players into the battle.  We fought several battles out side before the port battle even started.  I ended up in another fight by myself cause for some reason when I clicked on the port I couldn't enter the Port Battle and was tagged by some Brits.  Than there was several fights out side after the port battle.  So stop trying to say you lost the port cause of something that happen out side.  You lost it cause you did not fight for it inside the port battle even though ya'll had both numbers 25 over our 16/18? Which is at least 8 more than us cause we had guys (me included) in fights out side.  The screen shot I posted which your included in shows that your screening fleet was garbage.  Two first rates almost cleared all the ships on there own.   What you think 24 of them would of done in the current game mechanics.  It would not have stopped us from getting into the port battle unless you grieffed us and keep us tagged into the fight.

The few times I have hunted in the CT area wasn't any newbies.  Last I checked any one over rank 5 and most of them where RA's is not a noob that we hunted.  I do not chase after new players and sink them.  Have the been sunk?  Yes and many of them jumped into the fire and fought us more than the old school vet players have ever tried to.  We give them props for taht and respect them.   At west in out side the Lt Jg in a Privateer in the first fight I was in when I got tagged and didn't make it into the Port Battle cause it got full (was suppose to be part of the North group to cut that circle off).  I made the call to let him live even though we have been hitting his mast with our chasers and could soon snap it and run him down.  The guy fought hard just as the two others from DD did.  He came to a fight and that is what he got, but there was no reason to kill him off so I let him escape.  So don't give me that FOB for Noobs getting ganked.  Come to Mort and see how many of our traders and noobs get kills by FRENCH, BRITS, US players and hell one Spanish player.  I wouldn't be surprised if we lost a few to the DUTCH too.   We get way more of that happening around Mort than CT ever see's.

Just now, Sir Texas Sir said:

You tagged me and said /YOU/ which I will take as accusation I did something wrong.   You need to watch how you say things than if that isn't what you mean.

The port was not lost because of an exploit.  

I tagged you, because I'm quoting you and responding to you.

also..

"The port was not lost because of an exploit."

read the Tribunal again:

http://forum.game-labs.net/topic/21456-port-battle-fleet-using-possible-alt-to-hide-in-battle-screen/