Game-Labs Forum

Used guns. Give poor/new players an option...

Hey gents, just an idea on how to give new and casual players some more air in this game. Many will agree that guns are very expensive and require a lot of work to craft. I am suggesting 'used' guns as an option for new guys who enjoy solo hunting do not want to invest 5 hours a day just to get a ship outfitted. 

I think the best approach to one of this problem would be an option to loot all guns from killed NPCs and mark them as (used).

Used guns can not be sold on the market, but can be used by a player. After every battle ships with 'used' guns loose 1-2 guns per battle permanently, so the more you fight with used guns the more guns you loose.

Player will have two options:

1. Go back to the market and purchase player crafted ones. (won't get destroyed after battles, only when you die)

2. Go NPC hunting and capture enough guns, so you can restore lost guns. This will take time, but hey it's free!

Now, having too many guns aboard will limit how many repairs you can carry, but will give new guys cheaper and easier way to sail around, pvp and have fun. This is just another way how you can bring back casuals into Naval Action and make OS alive. 

Thoughts. 

Edited by Wind Catcher

In theory a great idea, another option would be readjust the price of cannons to make the lower tier cannons that would be used be newbs cheaper, with an exponential rise in price for the higher tiers. There is a little bit of that at the moment, but it could be improved.

Players beat mechanics.

Some of us sell cannons at absurd low prices.

Last time my companions did it, to celebrate a successful campaign, all the Long 6 pounders were released at roughly 700 gold each, hundreds of them, to support newcomers and veterans alike. 

That beats shop and still provides profit.

Players beat mechanics.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Eldberg said:

In theory a great idea, another option would be readjust the price of cannons to make the lower tier cannons that would be used be newbs cheaper, with an exponential rise in price for the higher tiers. There is a little bit of that at the moment, but it could be improved.

but with this, you are forcing players to sail back to port all the time. I suggest give them an extra option to get such guns at sea where they are. 

7 minutes ago, The Red Duke said:

Players beat mechanics.

Some of us sell cannons at absurd low prices.

Last time my companions did it, to celebrate a successful campaign, all the Long 6 pounders were released at roughly 700 gold each, hundreds of them, to support newcomers and veterans alike. 

That beats shop and still provides profit.

Players beat mechanics.

You say some, some will I am sure. Not all will use companions, charts and other tools...The problem here is we do not provide opportunity for 'all'. In your area it works fine, but on the other side new guys are struggling to replace guns and get ships. All this effects this beautiful game and we even loose players. Giving them opportunity to get free guns with extra work is always good. In the end they will provide you with an excellent fight and will shortly return for more. Let them grind, get ships and guns and bring Action to your waters. 

Edited by Wind Catcher
  • Like 2

Yes. Not disagreeing, just placing half the responsability on our shoulders, the players. Mechanics can't do it all and if economy must be run by us, to a point, well then we need to actually work together, especially in the same nation :)

That being said, equipping captured cannons in the OW should be possible.

Like, must stop in the OW, have a timer like in Pray after we click Commit changes.

• Like 1

Yes, opportunity cost is high on cannons. If you want/need to be in a fight quickly (and this mostly goes for high level) you pay a big price.

Find out where clan fleets PvE. Put a bid contract for medium 6 or medium 9 at some low price and watch it fill up. It usually doesn't take long.

:lol:

4 hours ago, Wind Catcher said:

Hey gents, just an idea on how to give new and casual players some more air in this game. Many will agree that guns are very expensive and require a lot of work to craft. I am suggesting 'used' guns as an option for new guys who enjoy solo hunting do not want to invest 5 hours a day just to get a ship outfitted. 

I think the best approach to one of this problem would be an option to loot all guns from killed NPCs and mark them as (used).

Used guns can not be sold on the market, but can be used by a player. After every battle ships with 'used' guns loose 1-2 guns per battle permanently, so the more you fight with used guns the more guns you loose.

Player will have two options:

1. Go back to the market and purchase player crafted ones. (won't get destroyed after battles, only when you die)

2. Go NPC hunting and capture enough guns, so you can restore lost guns. This will take time, but hey it's free!

Now, having too many guns aboard will limit how many repairs you can carry, but will give new guys cheaper and easier way to sail around, pvp and have fun. This is just another way how you can bring back casuals into Naval Action and make OS alive. 

Thoughts. 

Couldn't you just sell captured guns under contract at reduced prices?  

• Like 1

For the best of guns - ask in nation chat.. As long as nothing unreasonable is expected most will be happy to craft guns to a beggar for free..

I don't get all this complaining about "expensive cannons"... yes, the start is rough but once you got the workshop up or join a clan ( they really should have at least one, otherwise there is no reason for you being in it... ) with some iron and coal mine it's easy to get guns dirt cheap... 150k + 500 oak for workshop and 10k x 2 for iron and coal mine. Many folks will give new players free cannons too, if you dont want to outfit a Santissima...