Game-Labs Forum

Hello Dear Devs,

me and my clan members have tested the turning ability of the "ESSEX" against wind with ordinary sailing routine. When turning through the wind the ship looses dramatically speed and stucks in the wind. That is a bug because the turn rate of the ship should grant an easy turn under downwind conditions. Please check that out. It would be very sad when this marvelous ship isn't the choice of players by this annoying bug.

Cheers

Donjuan

Essex

SailingProfileESSEX.png

Frigate

SailingProfileFRIGATE.png

So you see, Essex is not a good ship to bring through the wind. Best use rudder shift mods and staysails if you can't manage it without.

Edited by Batman

This has been dbroad up befor by Kanay:

On 3.7.2017 at 11:12 AM, Kanay said:

The essex is really bad at turning against the wind now, i don't recall it being that bad before i took a break from the game, in my memories i never had issues to make it turn nicely, only the ingermanland was acting like this back in the days.

Mine is teak + white oak planking, have gazelle figure & optimized ballast for a bit more speed, equipped in full 12pd's configuration instead of 18pd's+12pd's, again a bit of speed boost while keeping a high reload and fire rate, also added optimized rudder to it in hope to make things better + lately added light canvas for faster sails movements and the poor thing loose all inertia once you turn against the wind, you can start your maneuver at high speeds and end up being almost a sitting duck hitting an invisible wall, it also seems to have issues when sailing very close to the wind and trying to use manual sails, it feels really wrong in the current state, not sure what is the problem on it but maybe it should be reviewed and checked by the Dev's.

I'll try to add some upgrades adding a bit more power on the staysails part and will test if it changes something soon ( unlocking slots is a pain for this ships with the high XP requirements there is for such ship, around  60 PVE missions to get 3 first slots ... around 40 more needed for the next 4th slot, afrai to discover the 5th slot requierments  )

And that was the reply he got from Ink

On 12.7.2017 at 3:51 PM, Ink said:

This is not a bug. Snow, Brig and Navy Brig loss significant more speed during tacking (due to different deceleration model) comprared to Mercury. Same for Essex case. This is not a 100% drawback - players can use that feature to their advantage in battles.

Also, you should consider your active knowledges and modules - they may affect tacking as well.

Personaly i noticed it was well, i have a Fir/Teak Essex but when you start a tack with good speed you lose it all in a few sec after getting the nose though the wind

Edited by balticsailor

I dont understand why the Essex is such a weak sailor when the Trincomalee which has a very close sailing profile does so much better.

I understand different models and all, but this is killing a ship that already has been modeled incorrectly to start with.

Sail plans and canvas areas.

Trinc has more stay and jib mast canvas in comparison to the Essex.

7 minutes ago, The Red Duke said:

Sail plans and canvas areas.

Trinc has more stay and jib mast canvas in comparison to the Essex.

And the Indefatigable has "saddle guns" on the forecastle just like the Essex.  But the Essex has them as broadside guns instead of bow chasers. 

4 minutes ago, The Red Duke said:

Er... sails...tacking...wearing... guns...

Not quite sure what you are trying to tell us with that.

I realy like the essex befor the wipe and hap afew of them in diffrented builds, but atm it feels broken and of couse haveing at least some bow chaser would be very nice ;-) .

Don't know what specific outfitting of the Essex we using.

Regarding sails, I don't think it is only the Essex. There's a definite difference in all ships, like main sail force, jib sail force, etc are indeed more refined.

The Snow for example, can still retain enough energy going through the eye of the wind, keeping the turn, but not as much speed as before.

Actually the schooners is where it is felt the most.

Looking at both ships, Trinc and Essex sail plans, my guess is that the forces acting on one and another are different and not entirely and solely plainly clear just by looking at the speed curve. Essex retains more speed on the turn actually.

But hey, can be a bug, but if it is then all ships are having it.

P.S. - staysails carry a lot of wind in game ;) more than they should

I wonder if it would be possible for the sails to actually have a more accurate model in game than they do now.  While they are good and the best I have seen in a MMO sailing game.  They could be better.

EDIT-damned auto correct.

Edited by Hodo

It's horrible with it's damaged sails when turning through the wind. Brick in other words. Demasting is still my favorite, Developers need to put more work and make demasting less favorable and force players broadside to broadside. 

Edited by Wind Catcher

1 hour ago, Wind Catcher said:

It's horrible with it's damaged sails when turning through the wind. Brick in other words. Demasting is still my favorite, Developers need to put more work and make demasting less favorable and force players broadside to broadside. 

If anything, accuracy at range is too much and requires more tuning (severely decreased so ranged demasting doesn't work).  Badly damaged rigging and masts toppling or yards getting knocked away should happen in most battles, even broadside to broadside at close range, but it should happen from close range and not everyone staying at range and doing it.

Edited by Prater

Snow (purple) / Trinc (brown) / Essex (green). Snow has sailing profile and got a beautiful sailing profile upwind.

3Z820d.jpg?nocache=1501102158288

Edited by Peter Goldman

31 minutes ago, Peter Goldman said:

Snow (purple) / Trinc (brown) / Essex (green). Snow has sailing profile and got a beautiful sailing profile upwind.

3Z820d.jpg?nocache=1501102158288

Oh the Snow handles great... way better than it should.  

Realistically it is a horrible hull form for speed, it is squat and round, as opposed to lean and dynamic.  Let us look at the Snow design the Niagara.

The Niagara not only has more sail than the Snow, and a leaner hull form, it should be faster than the Ontario(Snow).    They are both Snow sail brigs.   But one is much older, the Ontario Snow is a 1770s design and the Niagara is a 1812 design. But in game the Niagara is slower then the Ontario both downwind and into the wind.  

This would be the most fair comparison seeing as they are both "snow brigs".

I still can't believe the Essex is supposed to be as it is in game... Using mods and woods adding turn time bonuses or helping moving manual sails faster it's still a complete cow when turning against the wind and nothing will take the idea out of my mind that there is no way this ship should react like this compared to others having similar size / sails or profile...

After having now sailed things like the frigate; the pirate frigate, the endymion, the indefatigable i just can't believe it is supposed to be like this or that there is any kind of logic in this ship performances compared to others, and like i said a few times also still can't believe the battle rating this ship gets compared to a pirate frigate or some other ships while being worse in many domains and heavily crippled with this turn against the wind problem on the top of this ... This simply cannot compute in my head, it's impossible this thing is working as intended for me...

Edited by Kanay