Game-Labs Forum
Sign in to follow this  
ajffighter86

Should cannons weigh a lot more?

As a possible solution to the speed-meta, I was wondering if it would be possible to make cannons a bigger factor in determining ship speed.

The focus seems to be about the magical upgrades and not so much emphasis on decreasing the weight of a ship to make it faster. It just always seems strange that cannon weight is less than the weight of the projectile it fires, lol.

So if you want that endymion to reach 15 knots, you'll have to dump those 24lb cannons in favor of something lighter, which might sacrifice combat efficiency so there's actually a trade-off between speed and firepower.

I usually run 12lb longs on the gun deck of the endymion, but really there's no benefit to it currently other than a slightly faster reload. My endymion does not hit 15 knots though because I haven't put the Fail-fit upgrades on it.

Edited by ajffighter86

The tons are okay. But in truth our ships carry a lot.

Out of my head, 18 tons of water were dumped during a chase of a british frigate during 1812 war to gain a fair edge.

18 !

We dump cargo by the hundreds of tons in game.

What is very lightweight IMO is the repairs.

Canvas is very heavy. Cables are extremely heavy. Then add heavy wood for repairs of the hull.

Just now, The Red Duke said:

The tons are okay. But in truth our ships carry a lot.

Out of my head, 18 tons of water were dumped during a chase of a british frigate during 1812 war to gain a fair edge.

18 !

We dump cargo by the hundreds of tons in game.

What is very lightweight IMO is the repairs.

Seems to kill my speed. At least, if I want to be putting enough repairs in to have any amount of lifespan when I get into PVP waters.

It kills speed but looking what repairs can do and what materials they are made of, they are lightweight in the scale of things in NA.

Just my view on it.

Cannons can be reviewed but they seem okay %% wise to the volume cargo number.

Well As I have mentioned several Times.. Standard Guns for a ship shouldn't effect your staring cargo amount. It should only be effected by carrying lighter or heavier then it was designed/planned for. I do agree repairs are very light.. but Then I think you should be limited to using 2 of each in a fight and double the weight....

On 7/25/2017 at 4:35 PM, ajffighter86 said:

As a possible solution to the speed-meta, I was wondering if it would be possible to make cannons a bigger factor in determining ship speed.

The focus seems to be about the magical upgrades and not so much emphasis on decreasing the weight of a ship to make it faster. It just always seems strange that cannon weight is less than the weight of the projectile it fires, lol.

So if you want that endymion to reach 15 knots, you'll have to dump those 24lb cannons in favor of something lighter, which might sacrifice combat efficiency so there's actually a trade-off between speed and firepower.

I usually run 12lb longs on the gun deck of the endymion, but really there's no benefit to it currently other than a slightly faster reload. My endymion does not hit 15 knots though because I haven't put the Fail-fit upgrades on it.

Guns are heavy.

Let us look at some. 

24lb mediums weight 2.38t each.   x 28 on the gun deck of the Endymoin =66.64t

32lb carronades are 1.35t each.  x 28  on the gun deck of the Endymoin=  37.8t

So if you mounted carronades on there your gun load would be almost half the weight.  Thus making the ship faster.   

Not entirely. The carronade carriage is between twice and three times the weight of a standard truck carriage fitted to long guns of the same weight. Additionally the ammunition weight is higher for the same weight of deck ordnance and powder savings are diminished by the large bore and heavier shot even when the proportion is much lower.

A 24lb main battery gun is given in tables as 92.6 cwt with carriage and stores. A 32lb  frigate main battery carronade as 71.6 cwt with carriage and stores.

This is a relatively minor difference, for the compromise in penetration and ease of use at gunnery range - the loss of 24 lb double shot to obtain similar performance from a single 32lb ball is questionable at best too.

The 18lb gun can be had for the same total weight on board as the 32lb carronade. A far better option if available... at least until the introduction of a unified 32lb fit in long, medium and short guns soon after the period in question, because of the commonality of roundshot (if not of shell and hollow shot, where carronades had a different, smaller ammunition)

Edited by Lieste