Game-Labs Forum

Going for the kills.

Perkon

Thats on the middle difficulty.

Since the "release" I started once again. Just as before, going for the kills, spending hours for each battle, saving and loading forever, planning, foreseeing, maneuvering, etc. It has nothing to do with Civil War, any war, or even reality.

I dont know why, but I always go for the kills, always did. I cant seem to enjoy the game any other way.

Im happy with:

The Potomac Fort

Newport News

1st Bull Run

But very unhappy with:

Ambush convoy. I managed to score 6k + casulties there, but since I did couple bad clicks, and because the time limit + the fact that if you dont click finish soon enough after it appears, the game decides to do it for you, and just stops. I needed couple more seconds, and I would win. I wonder, if I should redo that mission, or what? I still have older saves, but I spent so many hours on this map, trying all the possible things, that when I think again of this, I feel terribly ill. I spent the most time, from all the maps I played, here.

A bit unhappy with:

Stay alert. Too high casulties, and thats my main concern, though I dont think I could have done it better. The time left in comparison to Ambush convoy was on my side.

After the release I noticed that AI got "smarter", in general. It can especially be seen in the last two missions.

What would you do? I see a lot of gameplays here, and I do watch some, of course I am unable to make one, because that would require hours of recordings, cutting, editting, and then putting all these puzzles together.

kills.png

Edited by Perkon

23 hours ago, Perkon said:

I cant resist :(.

/Edit. I could take them out, if I only had more time, 6k casulties is just the first approach, and couple volleys.

That's some elite troops early on to get 6k kills in a couple volleys xD

I've seen people buy a cavalry unit before the battle in order to move it up quicker. I only use infantry, however, in order to block the reinforcements. 

23 hours ago, The Soldier said:

@Perkon

You do realize Ambush Convoy is all about capturing those supply wagons and retreating them, right?  It's not about beating the enemy or anything like that.  Remember to check those mission objectives.

With the new dynamic campaign and manpower pool there's a strong long-term incentive to really smash those units, and it's pretty easy to pull off - the scenario gives you plenty of time to work them over.

On 7/25/2017 at 11:49 AM, Aetius said:

With the new dynamic campaign and manpower pool there's a strong long-term incentive to really smash those units, and it's pretty easy to pull off - the scenario gives you plenty of time to work them over.

Not entirely sure I agree yet...or at least, it doesn't seem explored yet enough how the dynamic campaign/manpower pool really works. I just messed around with a couple different Cold Harbor wins. Ninja phase 1 and Union got about 80k more troops after the battle. Destroy half their army and still win day 1 and the Union gets 70k (so less however many casualties you inflicted, in my case around 25k) BUT they also then got the benefit of additional training for 10% there. So in the end it was a push-pull and not just a net gain by opting to smash them in the face instead of taking the quick win.

5 hours ago, Hitorishizuka said:

Not entirely sure I agree yet...or at least, it doesn't seem explored yet enough how the dynamic campaign/manpower pool really works. I just messed around with a couple different Cold Harbor wins. Ninja phase 1 and Union got about 80k more troops after the battle. Destroy half their army and still win day 1 and the Union gets 70k (so less however many casualties you inflicted, in my case around 25k) BUT they also then got the benefit of additional training for 10% there. So in the end it was a push-pull and not just a net gain by opting to smash them in the face instead of taking the quick win.

I did notice that if you continue to annihilate them especially at Antietam, they don't recover as much in terms of manpower.

13 hours ago, Hitorishizuka said:

Did you start new campaigns when that system was put into place? Do you try and field maximum size battalions as much as possible or do you play small?

Was that directed at me?  I started on 1.0 but played thru the subsequent updates without restarting.  I tend to keep most brigades at 2,000 with some (maybe 30-40%) at 2,500. My current CSA army was at 103k at Cold Harbor.

Ah...yeah, I don't think the numbers make sense if you had older saves. Additionally, I'm not sure you can overcome the enemy reinforcement numbers if you tend to play small, the enemy just doesn't field enough people to kill compared to the range of reinforcements they seem capable of getting.

There's nothing prevent you from both maximizing kills and take the convoy at the same time. Detach skirmishers to occupy the attention of the 2 escost brigades, then cavalry sweep in from the flanks into their back. Grab the convoys then run north.

No. Game lack consistency.

In game time differs.

There is the default time zone, and it appears there is also an extra time affected by the objectives, and also another time limit factor that I am unable to identify, which is the time period after "click finish to end" appears. In some missions it is barely like 10 seconds, and mission ends even if you dont click, while some appear prolonged up to maybe 5 minutes, and longer waiting for you to click the button. I have not been playing every single possible battle, and even if I did, testing all the possible outcomes would take a lot of time.

First, in this particular mission Ambush Convoy, it is best to leave the supply carts on their own, because that extends the mission. Let me now explain this.

Mission has a set time limit to complete. If you capture the carts instantly, less time will be given to keep on playing, in comparison to if you were to take them later. Then, if you have them, 3rd time factor comes into play, and you are given even more time.

Thats what I noticed, I have been trying to figure out things, and in order to enjoy the game, some things have to be done in order, not really the way it was designed.

Edited by Perkon

It's mostly determined by the time of day.  At Chancellorsville for example, if you're playing as the Confederates and are at "Jackson's Flank", you can outrun the timer far into the night.  The battle only forces you to end at about 1 AM, give or take 15 minutes.  But just like there, at Ambush Convoy, completing the objective has no effect on how much "extra time" you get, since the mission is still going to end at a set time on the clock.

If you enjoy a game by min-maxing the crap out of it, well, that's your cup of tea.  This game definitely isn't designed with that in mind.