Game-Labs Forum

Newbie UGCW Questions

Akmatov

Just too too interesting and so I bought a copy tonight. :)

1. How can one see elevation and field of view of units?  The M key Elevation in UGG is invaluable and totally necessary.  The maps are pretty, but they are fairly useless for a useful coup d'oeil without the elevation lines.  The are essential.  Surely I'm just missing something.

2.Can you aim and initiate artillery fire or just point it in the right general direction and hope it fires on your desired target.  The choice of which munitions to fire in UGG was nice also. Seems to be missing in UGCW.

3. Firing Arcs on the map are vastly too thin and faint.  At the Stone Bridge in First Manassas on pause and looking hard I could make out one corner and a tiny bit on both sides.  Needs a Patch.

4. Would be nice if the red arrows showing movement orders stayed on the map as in UGG.

5. Is there any way to rally a routing unit?

6. The Tab Map Modes are not helpful, quite subtle differences and only usable at max magnification.  Really really need the return of the Elevation lines on the map.

7. Would be nice if significant terrain feature weres identified on the map. For some of us this is an exercise in revisiting CW battles and not just a game, adding some identifiers would be very nice and atmospheric.  And yes I can pore over a map and study the screen to figure out where the Henry House is located, but I shouldn't have to.

8. Does moving along roads provide a benefit in speed?

9. And BTW in the Campaign Character Development Questions the comment "After the war I . . . " is really odd. For any American from 1861 to sometimes today any reference to the War is a reference to the "Late Unpleasantness" from 1861-1865.  To be correct you should change that to "After the Mexican War I . . ."

Great simulation and going to be a huge time sink. :)

1. You can press the tab key for alternative view and zoom to see the map's elevation. Personally I prefer that to UGG's system.

2. You can select a target with artillery by righ-clicking on it. You can't choose the ammo type but it will automatically switch to the approriate one once in range. There's a lot more micro in UGCW so managing all that arty would be painful.

5. Not that I know of. Placing the general near will help to recover morale faster however.

8. No, units move as fast in open terrain as they do in roads.

2 hours ago, Col_Kelly said:

8. No, units move as fast in open terrain as they do in roads.

I don't mean to interject, but Col. Kelly is correct. Using roads and open field get you the same moving speed. However, roads move troops faster than Forrest, swamps, and creek beds. 

11 hours ago, Col_Kelly said:

1. You can press the tab key for alternative view and zoom to see the map's elevation. Personally I prefer that to UGG's system.

Thx for the helpful info.  However, I must totally disagree about the usefulness of the TAB+Zoom method of terrain analysis, I find it almost useless.  It relys on the artist's depiction of elevation by areas of brightness and darkness which doesn't seem to be have been intended for displaying terrain.  Perhaps I've used military maps with elevation contour lines too much and have become spoiled, but I consider the current UGCW system a major Fail and handicap.  It isn't realistic as no artistic map provide the kind of elevation information the eye will instantly see in reality, hence the need for contour lines.  This is a major Fail and it handicaps the Player, since it has already been done right, hopefully it will be patched.