Game-Labs Forum

Curious about UCW

Akmatov

Just got Gettysburg and highly interested in UCW with a couple of questions:

1. In campaign mode, can you move forward into enemy territory if you win a battle?  For example, could the Confederates move on Washington if they win Bull Run I ?  Can the Player choose a non-historical strategy? Can the course of history be changed or is a series of historic battles hard wired?

2. If the course of battles is hard wired, is there any benefit or penalty for winning or losing battles?

3. Is the player locked into only commanding in the field or can he affect areas such as economy, naval or diplomacy, policy decision like fielding different armament or negro troops? Are there any 'What If?" mods associated with the battles?  Realistic, historical decisions that might have gone a different way and affected the battle?

4. What are you guys going to publish next?  Watching your trailer for UCW was fascinating, a job really well done. You folks seem to have fielded a new level/perspective and control mechanism which marvelously blends a 'sky box' view with lots of on the ground detail if it is desired.  Would really really like to see this applied to the Napoleonic period 

BTW I am really pleased with the large choice of purely historic battle scenarios provided.  Custom battles also look very exciting. This is just great and is appreciated added value.

1. Nope. You can change the course of the war...but only in the end, not right at the beginning.

2. Yes, You gain or lose political reputation which can grant you additional weapons, recruits, money and generals. Victories bring you money and recruits, draws often too. Even losses sometimes. As every battle costs you manpower and equipment, you want to win to replenish and grow your army. If you defeat the enemy, he will have less equipment and manpower in the next battle. Oh, you can capture enemy equipment and units. Up to 1000 men will be exchanged for additional recruits, while you simply keep part of the captured equip. Some of my union troops are armed with captured rebel Enfields and Mississippi M1841s.^^

3. Mainly field command. Secondly army management. This includes a tiny bit of economy, as you have to buy new weapons for your units. Policy only via the already mentioned rep points gained or lost and the benefits they grant. No negro units, sadly. What if...well, you are able to win battles the rebels or unionists lost. Every battle influences the other and some grant direct boni for you, for example if the union wins the Battle of 1st Bull Run, the next battle the enemy army will be reduced by 2.5%.

4. Unknown until now, speculations are Seven Years War, Napoleonic Wars and German Unification Wars (my favourite).

• Like 1

Thx for the prompt response Hjalfnar.

Just to be 100% sure,  The Player basically in a 'Battle Tree' with a fixed series of battles you will fight regardless of wins or loses, ie wins and loses have no influence on territory gained or lost? Although rereading you comments it seems wins and loses might perhaps affect the route through the 'battle tree' of what your next battle/s will be?  The benefit of a win is an opportunity for improvement of your army. Granted I'm rusty on my CW history but some of the battles listed are not in the Eastern Theater, so I'm guessing 'your army' is a side concept not just the Army of Northern Virginia or Army of the Potomac?

Once again, rusty, but as I recall negro units played a significant role in the late war period.  Even the CSA has some and planned more.  At the start of the War there were sons of Negro planters who volunteered to join the Confederate Army, which kinda kicks in the head the conventional fixed history.

German Unification Wars (If it include the Franco-Prussian War), Napoleonic Wars, Seven Years War and Crimean War.  I suspect Seven Years War and especially Crimean War are unlikely, though both would be InstaBuys.  German Unification Wars have either never been done for the computer or I've forgotten them.  Would be interesting and about the same tech level, but not so sure about mass  sales appeal.  Napoleonic would be stellar and likely the biggest generator of sales, thus helping ensure the continuation of products from this brilliant team.!  Whatever problems smarter ppl than I have with the Total War series, I like them a lot, especially modded, especially the mods Nick did back in the day. However, the UG crew seem to have created a significantly different and interesting level of command, visualization and AI.  Toy Day is in a week, so I'm going to play UGG which I have and 99% sure will buy UGCW then.  

You information is greatly appreciated.

You COULD name it a battle tree. Basically you have some minor engagements you can chose from. Your army (you recruit and equip units as you like and take them through the campaign as long as you don't get them destroyed...which would be bad as they gain XP) CAN fight some of the minor battles, but it doesn't have to. They are not necessarily historily accurate, but they fit well in the timeframe. The minor battles influence the bigger, historical battles like 1st and 2nd Bull Run, Shiloh etc. in reducing the enemies numbers, his morale, experience of his units or equipment quality. You have to fight the major battles.

If you want to take a look at the first few missions, I am noobing my way through the campaign...though I can't upload any further videos for an additional week or so, as I am moving to my new house and only having 6Mbit at the moment.

On ‎7‎/‎16‎/‎2017 at 5:36 PM, Akmatov said:

Just got Gettysburg and highly interested in UCW with a couple of questions: ...

There's a real simple answer to this ... it's called first hand experience.  Spring for the game and play it.    :)