Game-Labs Forum

French Rig Refit?

HarryButpain

Question

Modifiers French Rig Refit:
MAST | MAST_TOP_SECTION_HP | MAST_MIDDLE_SECTION_HP | MAST_BOTTOM_SECTION_HP | 8%
SAIL | MAST_THICKNESS | 15%

Has 'SAIL | MAST_THICKNESS | 15%' any effect on sails or on thickness of masts only?

Considering the current changes where many people would argue that attacking masts is a complete waste of time due to the current generally high mast thickness values, wouldn't it make sense to add some sail % hp to 'french rig refit' to allow this module to remain relevant? 

Edited by HarryButpain

13 answers to this question

I'm pretty sure that bonus is only affecting the mast's thickness / HP.

The light frigates topmasts (especially surprise) are still pretty much paper. It takes one good "spray" into the topmast section with a surprise (9s and 6s) to score a topmast, and therefore either forcing the enemy to use a repair or give up some of his manouverability.

But in general I dont think upgrades buffing the thickness rather than the HP is the right approach. By buffing thickness, at some point it will be impossible to demast, compared to buffing HP where it will just take a bigger effort.

Edited by Liquicity
  • Like 5

5 hours ago, HarryButpain said:

Has 'SAIL | MAST_THICKNESS | 15%' any effect on sails or on thickness of masts only?

Considering the current changes where many people would argue that attacking masts is a complete waste of time due to the current generally high mast thickness values, wouldn't it make sense to add some sail % hp to 'french rig refit' to allow this module to remain relevant? 

depends on the ship.. not a real point to add to a 4th rate and up.. But I can see it being a bonus for 5th rates and smaller if you dont have anything better... I turned 2 NAvy Brigs into canoes pretty quick with a Pirate frigate firing 12lbers...

1 hour ago, Jean Pual Vilvenue said:

You can demast a Victory with a Santi from about 1500 metres out by taking off the very top of the gallant sails/masts. I have demasted the tops of a surprise from 3,000 metres yesterday. Dont aim for base unless 100m...

3000 meters? if that happened game is broken none of these guns would have any significant punch if they even went that far... 

On 16.7.2017 at 3:18 AM, Jean Pual Vilvenue said:

You can demast a Victory with a Santi from about 1500 metres out by taking off the very top of the gallant sails/masts. I have demasted the tops of a surprise from 3,000 metres yesterday. Dont aim for base unless 100m...

Hey folks, good to know :-)

On 7/15/2017 at 9:18 PM, Jean Pual Vilvenue said:

You cant even hit a ship at 3km in game.

None of the guns in game can fire 3km.   1500m maybe... 3km no.

7 hours ago, Hodo said:

You cant even hit a ship at 3km in game.

None of the guns in game can fire 3km.   1500m maybe... 3km no.

You're probably right. Hard to approximate a distance greater than 250m. Must rely on the graphical aiming point and then multiply it to get the rough distance.

5 hours ago, mikawa said:

How can you measure 3km in game?

Name render range in battle is 750m (+/- 5m)

The max range of a medium 6lb is about 1500.   Or 3 squares, IF you have a good heel and can fire at max elevation of around 45deg.