Game-Labs Forum

UGCW Feedback v1.0+

2 hours ago, Hitorishizuka said:

I'm just laughing about yet more attempted buffs to the James and 20pdr Parrotts. Soldier, I'll leave this one to you to test, maybe they'll finally be worthwhile.

Just you wait - I tested these things before the patch got released.  Least to say, it exciting me enough to prepare an "Artillerist's Guide to Ultimate General: Civil War" covering every single gun in the game, from their history to gameplay and tactics for each with some supporting terminology explanations, misconceptions, and sources for history. Hold on your butts! :)

• Like 5

4 hours ago, The Soldier said:

Just you wait - I tested these things before the patch got released.  Least to say, it exciting me enough to prepare an "Artillerist's Guide to Ultimate General: Civil War" covering every single gun in the game, from their history to gameplay and tactics for each with some supporting terminology explanations, misconceptions, and sources for history. Hold on your butts! :)

And you're just the guy to do this Soldier...thanks in advance! Will be a must read right up there with Col Kelly's must see video series. Kudos for sharing with all of us! 

OH and let me know if you'd like me to send you some Riccola cough drops for that nagging "cough".......:rolleyes:

Agreed - the oblique movement is ... well, awesome. It's such a relief to be easily able to shift units left and right to get into their battle line without them doing a pirouette a hundred yards from an enemy brigade. And it's so well done that it just disappears into the flow of battle - all you notice is the absence of the frustration surrounding units exposing their flanks to shift left or right.

Edited by Aetius

I hesitate to bring this up, but with the dynamic campaign I think this has become much more important. The AI needs to know when it's beaten - when to retreat off the map, or at least fall back to a better position. As it stands now, the AI takes horrendous casualties because it stubbornly stays in contact, gets surrounded, and then dies to the last man. Exploiting this disadvantage is fairly easy and low cost for the player, and really impacts future battles.

I was able to use this to inflict nearly 80% casualties on the Confederates at Shiloh on Legendary. On the second day, the AI units didn't even try to fall back and defend the objectives, but instead allowed themselves to be pinned against the river, surrounded, and destroyed - only Forrest escaped.

• Like 4

I agree.  The AI needs more than just ATTACK at all costs mode.  It also needs to do as the player does, scanning it's units for strength, morale, etc., and if it can calculate it is in bad straights, it needs to make adjustments for that calculation and fall back and reform or make for the edge of the map to exit stage left. 

• Like 2

@Nick Thomadis and Developers

I have been on my current Confederate Campaign now since the latest release and upgrades.

Up to this time I have not been paying much attention to the AARs generated by the game, but I have been this series. I have found a few things to comment on:

Please make the AARs consistent.  In the top half of the reports you have the information listed as Infantry, Cavalry, then Artillery.   In the Losses half of the AAR you list the results as Infantry, Artillery, Cavalry, then Missing.  Please make either of the two reports list the units in a consistent manner  either way your choice but I ask that one report match the layout of the other.  (Hope you understand what I mean.)

Also of great concern, I'm noticing an inconsistency of information on these reports.  When listing Artillery, I'm assuming the number in parentheses are the number of men assigned to the number of guns.  In many cases I get guns listed but no men.  And in my most recent AAR I had men listed but no guns.

Could you please spend some time on this and correct these issues?   Thanks.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, A. P. Hill said:

@Nick Thomadis and Developers

I have been on my current Confederate Campaign now since the latest release and upgrades.

Up to this time I have not been paying much attention to the AARs generated by the game, but I have been this series. I have found a few things to comment on:

Please make the AARs consistent.  In the top half of the reports you have the information listed as Infantry, Cavalry, then Artillery.   In the Losses half of the AAR you list the results as Infantry, Artillery, Cavalry, then Missing.  Please make either of the two reports list the units in a consistent manner  either way your choice but I ask that one report match the layout of the other.  (Hope you understand what I mean.)

Also of great concern, I'm noticing an inconsistency of information on these reports.  When listing Artillery, I'm assuming the number in parentheses are the number of men assigned to the number of guns.  In many cases I get guns listed but no men.  And in my most recent AAR I had men listed but no guns.

Could you please spend some time on this and correct these issues?   Thanks.

It's not just the AAR screens- when you select a Corps in the Camp, you get a summary of the troops assigned, but it does NOT include artillery troops.  However, the battle screen 'details' and recon level DOES count these troops. They should be consistently counted in all AAR/summary screens/troop data throughout the game.

Artillerymen are people, too! 

• Like 2

Anyone have a good understanding of how the campaign army size on the map screen actually interacts with the enemy army? I'm mid battle in Washington and seeing numbers I don't understand. Map screen claimed they only had 125k left, Day 1 recon report had 60k and I killed their entire army. Day 2 recon report says 100k. So...that's more combined than the campaign report. Even if I'm generous and say they get 20k from Day 1 back that's the number that shattered and didn't directly die, that's still more than the map screen.

Is this just cosmetic or is it supposed to actually limit the enemy numbers? Or in Washington, is the first 60k 'free' for them and the remaining number on Day 2 is the actual army?

Let's talk about the Harper's Ferry 1855s. In my Confederate BG campaign, about half my units are equipped with these rifles because the Union troops keep dropping them in huge numbers. In my Union Legendary campaign ... about half my troops are equipped with them because the Confederates keep dropping them in huge numbers. In the Union store, there are more Harper's Ferry 1855s available than regular 1855s. The AI Confederate dynamic equipment scaling skipped almost directly from Re-bored Farmers to Harper's Ferry 1855s - I was only able to capture about 700 MJ&Gs and 700 Mississippis, and only a handful of Enfields.

I suspect that somehow the limits on Harper's Ferry 1855 availability were removed in one of the recent patches, for Union human players and for the AI on both sides.

On 8/10/2017 at 0:01 PM, Hitorishizuka said:

I'm just laughing about yet more attempted buffs to the James and 20pdr Parrotts. Soldier, I'll leave this one to you to test, maybe they'll finally be worthwhile.

20 Pound Parrotts have become killers. I have documented 1,000 man kills in one battle since the last buff

On 14/08/2017 at 0:15 AM, Hitorishizuka said:

Anyone have a good understanding of how the campaign army size on the map screen actually interacts with the enemy army? I'm mid battle in Washington and seeing numbers I don't understand. Map screen claimed they only had 125k left, Day 1 recon report had 60k and I killed their entire army. Day 2 recon report says 100k. So...that's more combined than the campaign report. Even if I'm generous and say they get 20k from Day 1 back that's the number that shattered and didn't directly die, that's still more than the map screen.

Is this just cosmetic or is it supposed to actually limit the enemy numbers? Or in Washington, is the first 60k 'free' for them and the remaining number on Day 2 is the actual army?

I, too would be curious to know how it works. I've seen some battles where it did limit the opponents army size, but haven't always been clear on how they count army size, training or equipment levels. Particularly with respect to the minor battles. Are the minor battles connected to the intelligence reports?

Edited by CaptainKanundrum