Game-Labs Forum

I've experienced in PVE and PVP combats that rudder gets damaged by shots received on the front of the ship, I'm not any expert but it doesn't make too much sense if you get shot at the bow of the ship and you suddenly your rudder is damaged. 

If i'm wrong please don't hesitate to explain me this, thanks!

Balls with alot of energy , depending on the internal structure and rng, might go entirely from bow to stern.  Same as when you rake ships, those balls can go all the way to the bow. But then there is no rudder indicator so you wont notice it. 

• Like 1

Most people have found this funny at some point. But it's always been like this that you can get damaged rudder from the front, and I think it is intentional. However weird it might seem, it is not completely implausible. For one thing, cannon balls travel inside the ship, and even a shot from the front may end up far to the back of the ship. Remember as well that the rudder is more than just the wooden flap at the back of the keel going left or right to steer the ship. The rudder is also the system of tiller ropes that connect the helm to the rudder, so that when when your captain turns the wheel, the rudder reacts correspondingly. A cannonball may hit and sever the tiller ropes, or damage the tiller system, or even destroy the helm. All of which will impair the ability to get the rudder to turn.

redrudder2.gif

Also what Konali said. Ninja.

Edited by Anolytic
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Anolytic said:

Most people have found this funny at some point. But it's always been like this that you can get damaged rudder from the front, and I think it is intentional. However weird it might seem, it is not completely implausible. For one thing, cannon balls travel inside the ship, and even a shot from the front may end up far to the back of the ship. Remember as well that the rudder is more than just the wooden flap at the back of the keel going left or right to steer the ship. The rudder is also the system of tiller ropes that connect the helm to the rudder, so that when when your captain turns the wheel, the rudder reacts correspondingly. A cannonball may hit and sever the tiller ropes, or damage the tiller system, or even destroy the helm. All of which will impair the ability to get the rudder to turn.

redrudder2.gif

There is a post by the @admin somewhere on these forums showing a very old damage model for the Victory,  you can clearly see the rudder and the wheel modeled as hitboxes.   It is kind cool.   

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Anolytic said:

redrudder2.gif

My captain NEVER turns the wheel! I didn't become captain just to be a helmsman!!