Game-Labs Forum
Otto Kohl

You want to develop this game or you dont give a s#!t anymore ?

jodgi    2,052
Just now, Slamz said:

Are you saying you can't afford to fight in Snows?

Or a Cerberus?

Honestly, if that's the only thing I could comfortably afford I wouldn't bother.

We can shout about the virtues of privateers and NavyBrigs until our heads explode, one out of a hundred will see the light but that won't be enough.

Christendom    1,793
54 minutes ago, Slamz said:

Are you saying you can't afford to fight in Snows?

Or a Cerberus?

Surprises, maybe?

If that's not what you're saying then yes, it IS a player created problem. Just because Aggies and Victories exist doesn't mean you have to hide in the back until you have 25 of them.

The last couple of nights my guild toured all around La Navasse and La Tortue expecting to maybe run into some Pirates clashing with some Brits but there was nobody home. Sank a couple wayward players and that was about it. Pirates are either in their home area or on the US coast. Brits are scattered but do a lot in Great Corn and some around South America and apparently some on the US coast but the obvious lane of major clashing is being avoided by both parties.

And don't say it's ship cost.

This same thing happened a year ago when all ships had 5 durability and it rained money.

I think the problem is that egos become so huge in this game nobody wants to risk putting it on the line. Everyone's a champion until they get off the sidelines and have to prove it. I consider myself to be a pretty mid-tier PvPer partially because I don't care if my ship is 100% perfect and ideally fit and I do go get blown up and sunk in various ways but I'd still claim I'm better than the lot of you because a fighter who fights and loses is more useful than one who won't get off the bench but just sits there claiming he's the best (and goes on about how smart he is for sitting there, "getting ready").

If my guild could round up 25 players per night I cannot fathom why I would not start a port battle at least every other day.

We ground the Danes into submission and that was with a combined French team effort of typically 6-12 people.

Don't tell me Brits can't do better than the French. Or that you hate grinding but then go run missions.

You entirely missed the point my post was trying to convey.  The serveral hundred players or so that were around 2 months ago and currently aren't playing disagree with your thoughts.  The game is less enjoyable then it was 3-4 months ago and that is a problem.  Again...you're always right so why bother arguing.  The data proves you are not.  

Edited by Christendom

Slamz    1,521
5 minutes ago, jodgi said:

Honestly, if that's the only thing I could comfortably afford I wouldn't bother.

Why not?

There's a lot of freedom in going out in ships you can easily afford to lose.

And from what I've seen, the most likely result is you come away with a custom built 4th rate or better because you found someone derping along solo in one and stole it from them.

WORST case you just lost some really cheap ships and probably had more fun doing that than grinding another mission or carrying another load of yorkshire pudding.

3 minutes ago, Christendom said:

The data proves you are not.  

The data proves people are leaving.

I believe they are leaving because they share your mindset. All it takes is a different philosophy and poof, this is a totally different game.

Literally poof.

One change in thinking and everyone could be having fun tonight.

Roll up to Mortimer Town in like 50 Snows. They'll blow you out of the water, it will cost almost nothing, you'll probably end up capping at least one Victory and you'll have a hell of a lot of fun one way or the other.

HarryButpain    69
  • So we agree that there should be a downside to mindlessly conquering region after region until nothing is left? Great, so let's make it so that the more regions a nation owns the higher becomes the upkeep of all alrdy conquered regions. After a region is captured it will be auctioned off to participants/clans of the port battle. The owner can set up taxes etc to make money, however, the more regions a nations owns the higher is the weekly upkeep cost the owner of a region has to pay. If the owner fails to pay upkeep the nation will lose the region. 
  • Regions should have their own special advantages to make them interesting. Like let's say, one region lowers local labor hour costs while another region adds armor buffs to ships that were crafted there.. Or one region allows teak forests and the other white oak et cetera. 
  • Screening fleets that engaged in pvp inside of a PB region should get conq marks, too if their nation successfully conquered the port.  
  • What about rewards based on activity like caused dmg? The game could, for example, recognize the amount of cannons that participated in a pvp or port battle and caused dmg on both sides and give rewards accordingly. 
  • What's so wrong with being allowed to jump to the closest port if you manage to escape or to sink your target. It's either a reward or punishment if you fail to catch or sink your target. Maybe add a cooldown to the free teleport after battle.
  • Make demasting a reasonable option again..
Edited by HarryButpain

Jean Ribault    695
48 minutes ago, Christendom said:

...The game is less enjoyable then it was 3-4 months ago and that is a problem.....

Unfortunately I really must admit that I agree with that statement.  Guys I have been playing since Feb 2016, I took a small break and am now back, and I've really never been disappointed in the game until now.  It's not awful, but really I have always found a way to have fun even as a noob with no money and no skills.  Not so sure after this patch.  :mellow:

Edited by Jean Ribault

jodgi    2,052
Just now, Slamz said:

There's a lot of freedom in going out in ships you can easily afford to lose.

You may recall I'm not so big on loss. I never liked what it does to the collective player psychology.

I usually don't interject in these topics anymore since it's not my problem (loss is great, eco is fun, gtfo jodgi).

But here I was reading about the pain loss, eco and bot grinding is inflicting on the fighting gameplay, I forgot myself and started typing.

Don't mind me, please continue with the praising of loss and eco combined with the total disregard for the inherent and inevitable consequences.

Vllad    408
5 hours ago, Christendom said:

Ports = Marks = Ships.  The marks must flow.  I'm so burnt out on getting ready to fight I don't feel like even grinding more ports.  

Marks does not = ships, it equals lineships. Line-ships are only useful in very few instances. If you are burnt out then stop and get in your 5th rates and start fighting. 

5 hours ago, Christendom said:

Expensive ships and time consuming grinds do not equal more battles.  Bring back duras or make ships cheaper and the hostility grinds less time consuming.  

Stop using expensive ships. You don't need them to win fights. 

It is your attitude that preventing you from having fun, not the game mechanics. 

Slamz    1,521
2 hours ago, jodgi said:

Don't mind me, please continue with the praising of loss and eco combined with the total disregard for the inherent and inevitable consequences.

And yet I can't help wondering how many people quit the game out of fear of ship loss and worry over the expense while having literally a dozen fully capable warships in their docks.

They don't actually get around to experiencing that part where they can't afford to fight. It's a mythical beast just around the corner that nobody has ever actually seen but which everyone is certain exists and they'd better quit now, before it catches them.

jesus would someone PLEASE kill my renommee. it's storebought garbage but i put mods on it and now i can't bring myself to junk it. BUT NOBODY CAN KILL IT. C'MON ALREADY. I NEED MORE ROOM IN MY DOCKS.

Edited by Slamz

Sir Texas Sir    3,271
10 hours ago, Hodo said:

Exactly.  Too many people have this problem.   While I understand that not everyone wants to sail around in unrates but sometimes it is the most cost effective ship out there.   I recently spent a week building up the materials and money to upgrade my shipyard to tier 2, so I can build 5th rates if I am so inclined.   But I only did this because I wanted a Leda and a Belle.   But that is it.   

People also have this game crippling fear of fighting something they feel is OP, like the Agamemnon in 4th rate PBs with anything LESS than a Agamemnon built out of Live Oak and White Oak.   The same goes for Shallow PBs, I dont know how many times I hear... "Mercury LO/WO ONLY"   Or the Line Ship PB, Vics, Santis and L'Oceans ONLY...  no room for variation or tactics... just sail straight at them, keep upwind and HAMMER them down while you work on capturing circles with the slowest ships in history.  Instead of thinking about maneuver warfare to capture points, force the bigger fleet to sail and make mistakes and spread out or risk losing the fight.    While a Ballona cant go broadside to broadside with a Victory, it can sure as hell out sail one.  

I fear a lot of people have a very narrow view on what works and refuse to deviate from this in fear of failure.

In the Shallow water fights I been in I been running a Teak/Mahog test build until it sinks.  It has Iron Knees on it too and I have the book for crew defense on that char too.  Get what I did there 45% crew defense to keep from loosing crew from grape, crew shock and such and It's been working.  I lost nothing more than 10 crew in a fight so far, but haven't been truely tested properly.  Though it's also the fast response tag circle ship of the group.  So I hate when folks say you can only use this or that in a port battle.  When it sinks I'll prob make something a bit more tanky for port battles and Shallow PvP

Guess what that Aggy you blew up next to is built out of?  Not what most folks would think and it can out run just about any other PB ship and bounce shots like crazy.  I don't do normal builds of the super tanks when I can.   It's fun to play something that isn't the meta and than be the one that doesn't sink straight off the bat in a fight.

fox2run    460

As an old Age of Sail player, I like to battle it out in large battles between fleets. The road and time to do so is too grindy and the game has turned into a pirate trading game instead.

For me I have to wait a couple of years for the next title.... 

A shame as this game had a lot of potential and gave me what I was looking a year or so ago.... 

jodgi    2,052
6 hours ago, Slamz said:

And yet I can't help wondering how many people quit the game out of fear of ship loss and worry over the expense while having literally a dozen fully capable warships in their docks.

They don't actually get around to experiencing that part where they can't afford to fight. It's a mythical beast just around the corner that nobody has ever actually seen but which everyone is certain exists and they'd better quit now, before it catches them.

Well put.

The fear of loss makes the problem far worse than the actual circumstances would dictate. When everyone is running around "playing it smart" with extreme PvP timidness, "sail what you can afford to lose" and gank opportunism, we struggle to maintain a critical mass of PvP content and people begin to drop out listing a bunch of secondary or even tertiary reasons.

I actually think OW's biggest problem is NA's greatest strength: Glorious ship fighting. It breaks people's hearts and motivations when all the "depth" of the OW makes fighting a struggle.

They don't have that problem in EVE. People came for the eco stuff and, as @Kaos put it, "to run this pixel shit". No broken hearts there as the fighting is only some shitty detached mouse clicking anyway.

z4ys    1,368

It's to hard to get cash...

Sailing takes to long...

Revenge fleets out of the warp space are real...

RoE favors the attacker...

To long join timers...

To short join timers...

Ships are to expensive...

Alts are everywhere...

Nightflips...

Everytime a new patch goes live one of the listed sentence goes spot-on. That's getting old. And that are things which are only mentioned by the majority of old payers. When I talk to new players they tell me how awesome the game is.

And to fear of loss: we had a don't leave circle in ST because people tried to run in a game where the only loss was defeat message on the battle end screen.

monk33y    494
1 hour ago, z4ys said:

It's to hard to get cash...

I iv never understood how any player can struggle to make money in this game, trading and pve missions make money worthless. It's so easy to get I'm suprised the prices are not higher 

Justme    349
23 minutes ago, monk33y said:

I iv never understood how any player can struggle to make money in this game, trading and pve missions make money worthless. It's so easy to get I'm suprised the prices are not higher 

How long are your play sessions? I can see how it can be an issue for players with more time restrictions

jodgi    2,052
5 minutes ago, monk33y said:

I don't know about other people, but for me eco activities are so boring I can't bring myself to get rich however easy it may be.

The Red Duke    5,955
43 minutes ago, Justme said:

How long are your play sessions? I can see how it can be an issue for players with more time restrictions

IMO...

Saturday - 10 hours straight

equals

Monday, 2 hours || Tuesday, 0 || Wednesday, 3 hours || Thursday, 1 hour || Friday, 0 || Saturday, 4 hours || Sunday, 0

( do whatever combo you wish. doesn't alter the fact that both players will do the same with their own rhythm. Wanting to do everything in 1 day doesn't concern players with time restrictions, IMO )

Vllad    408
5 hours ago, jodgi said:

The fear of loss makes the problem far worse than the actual circumstances would dictate. 

I was stalking some Aussie brit group trying to split them to get a kill. One of the Aussies say's to me "we are going to reduce you to a basic cutter", my response "awesome, if I am not losing a ship a night then I am not fighting enough". 

As one stupid movie once said “The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem”

Magnum    1,071

Up front I'll admit I have stopped "testing" the game - I have found it unsatisfying:

The biggest lack IMO is the ROE -- because there are mainly three different types of players:

Hunters, those players who are always (or nearly always) looking for a fight (2 types) and Prey.

-----

HH: Honorable Hunters such as Blackjack Morgan

HG: Hunter Gankers (you know who you are). :)

P: Prey, those players who are almost always looking to improve their ECO position (or their Clan's) - They might get involved in a "revenge fleet" now and then to protect their stuff - but they just don't dig for trouble.

-----

Think of it as a sandbox: HH want to interact their sand toys with other players sand toys in a mutually fun way. P: mostly want to build sand castles and will try to protect them. HG just want to kick others sand toys into broken pieces or steal them away.

Until the ROE can accommodate the desires of all three types of players, somewhat evenly = it's broken. You HH and HG players before you "look down your nose" at P player - think about who built the Cables and Hawsers that went into the Medium Carriages that allow your shiny new Bellona to fight. 

I'd like to see the NPC in national waters attack Hunters who don't belong there - but that's just me.

Edited by Magnum
Donald Trump Jr. distracted me

jodgi    2,052
1 hour ago, Vllad said:

I was stalking some Aussie brit group trying to split them to get a kill. One of the Aussies say's to me "we are going to reduce you to a basic cutter", my response "awesome, if I am not losing a ship a night then I am not fighting enough". 

As one stupid movie once said “The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem”

I've done my share of sailing leeward of trincos in a surprise in the faint hope I might get a fight. It's not sustainable and the masses won't budge. 

Quineloe    963

I can't believe people are whining about "unjustified " bans on reddit for this forum.

Admin clearly stated that the unity 5 transition takes priority now and that will take some time. But Otto Kohl demands a personal update every week? Just a totally unpleasant person.

Chuliki    5
1 hour ago, Magnum said:

I'd like to see the NPC in national waters attack Hunters who don't belong there - but that's just me.

I'd like to see that too, at least on capitals where some hunter gankers just destroy the newbies dreams and get into their missions.

Flinch    41
8 minutes ago, Chuliki said:

I'd like to see that too, at least on capitals where some hunter gankers just destroy the newbies dreams and get into their missions.

You cant enter missions around capitals. 

Chuliki    5
29 minutes ago, Flinch said:

You cant enter missions around capitals. 

You know that missions some times appear a bit far from the capital, a player that has played for a while already knows that he can restart missions to get a better positioning, but newbies do not know about that and they go a bit far

Prater    5,108
2 hours ago, Magnum said:

There's a pve server for a reason.