NONE | BARRICADES_MELEE_BONUS | 0.15
NONE | BARRICADES_FIREPOWER_BONUS | 0.15

Boarding Axes +BK +FK -OK

Boarding Axes (1-3 rates)
NONE | AXES_ATTACK_BONUS | 0.02
NONE | AXES_DISENGAGE_DURATION | -2

Don’t have the Handbook sorry.

Admin on boarding...

In each round, damage is dealt from both sides and is reported in the Battle Log. Kills are categorized in Firepower Kills (Fk), Boarding Kills (Bk), Outside Kills (Ok). Firepower kills are inflicted by muskets, grenades, cannons. Boarding kills are caused by melee. Outside kills can happen by fire of other ships that do not participate in the boarding.

Cut this out, I cannot find the break down of ATTACK anywhere or how its built. Its Not the same as Melee obviously or what adds too it like Marines do. 

Admin Dec 2014

Attack kills (swords and general melee)

Fire kills (kills from musket fire)

Outside kills (fire from outside ships)

you as a captain give orders.

Attack means you send most of the crew as a boarding party

Defend means you barricade on your deck

Fire means you give out muskets and they fire instead of melee. You always have some people equipped with pistols and muskets so you always do fire damage.

I know its not quite what you were looking for but only breakdown to what ATTACK actually is...

Norfolk.

Edited by Norfolk nChance
  • Like 2

This has been a long standing question for me as well.

To summarize the question I think that you would like to know if same type bonus derived from different text has different effect and if so how.

Short answer I don't think so.

BARRICADES_MELEE_BONUS should give both offensive and defensive bonus fighting bonus. To elaborate I would like to know if the defensive bonus is in effect regardless of your action(when you hit musket, and enemy attack as example) on top of (brace, defense) as well as if it mitigates any casualties in other circumstances.

AXES_ATTACK_BONUS and HANDBOOK_ATTACK_BONUS . offensive only (attack only) There is a  boolean for axes that gives you disengagement bonus for axes as in fewer rounds to disengage, other then that nothing.

In effect I am sorry to say that I think they all give same actual bonus when comes to boarding. I wan't to be wrong and I wish that axes for example would give some kind of extra bonus but  I don't think they do.

Would be great if an admin could fill us in or confirm that MELEE_ATTACK_BONUS 0.025, HANDBOOK_ATTACK_BONUS 0.025 and AXES_ATTACK_BONUS 0.025 has the same effect in the fighting or not.

Edited by TrackTerror
  • Like 2

The difference is in the values and thus depending on your tactics some are better than others.

Barricades +FK ++BK  +OK

Barricades (1-3 rates)
NONE | BARRICADES_MELEE_BONUS | 0.15
NONE | BARRICADES_FIREPOWER_BONUS | 0.15

Boarding Axes +BK +FK -OK

Boarding Axes (1-3 rates)
NONE | AXES_ATTACK_BONUS | 0.02
NONE | AXES_DISENGAGE_DURATION | -2

Barricades, you have bonuses to both Attack and Musket actions of +15%. (Not completely sure if Deckgun and Grenade fit into this)

Boarding Axes, you get a bonus to only Attack actions of 20% and it only takes 2 cycles to disengage instead of 4. You do not get any bonus to Musket, Deckgun or Grenade actions.

So there are many different upgrades out there that offer bonuses, some lean more towards one action over another. Best to find and use the ones that fit your playstyle.

• Like 1

If it says MELEE the bonus goes to both attack or defense. If it say's either ATTACK or DEFENSE than the bonus only goes towards the one that is listed.

As others said the FIREPOWER is for the Muskets, Cannons and Grenades (which why are they catch on fire so easy?).

What I want to know is what is the accuracy effects of the Boarder Cannons (old gunnery handbook).  Cause prepatch I never realy saw any effect to these when you used Muskets or cannons.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Sir Texas Sir said:

If it says MELEE the bonus goes to both attack or defense. If it say's either ATTACK or DEFENSE than the bonus only goes towards the one that is listed.

cool that helps. do u know if theres a difference between axes_attack_bonus and handbook_attack_bonus?

1 hour ago, Jon Snow lets go said:

cool that helps. do u know if theres a difference between axes_attack_bonus and handbook_attack_bonus?

I'm not sure but by looking at all the board modes I have and I have just about all of them now.  I think the first part is the source the bonus comes from.  Like Axes is from the Boarding axe book and Handbook is from the Melee training.  Though I could be wrong but that is what it looks like to me.

am still very confused on this. With more questions than answers LOL

FK (Fire Kills) and BK (Boarding Kills) what is there relationship?

Melee is specific to BK only according to Admin’s description. Yet using Musket & Pistols improvements 25% of CREW get them (4-5 rates) then this must add to the ATTACK (Counter-Attack). So, it might be a case how the game adds the bonuses…

Of the boarding CREW is 25% of them armed with M&P? I guess not and it’s the overall crew -Less marines (if applicable). The individual number for AXES as a guess will be the boarding CREW not the whole CREW. For the Barricades, in the CASE of a defense it’s the whole CREW and in ATTACK the boarding amount…

The HANDBOOK ATTACK I’d assume all CREW as it will work for Counter-Attack, and this also for Melee. The AXES however would only be attack on the Boarding crew amount?

If you are in “DEFEND” is this the whole CREW? Does if differ if you’re the ATTACKER?

(FK) CREW are they part of the boarding CREW?

29 minutes ago, Norfolk nChance said:

am still very confused on this. With more questions than answers LOL

FK (Fire Kills) and BK (Boarding Kills) what is there relationship?

Melee is specific to BK only according to Admin’s description. Yet using Musket & Pistols improvements 25% of CREW get them (4-5 rates) then this must add to the ATTACK (Counter-Attack). So, it might be a case how the game adds the bonuses…

Of the boarding CREW is 25% of them armed with M&P? I guess not and it’s the overall crew -Less marines (if applicable). The individual number for AXES as a guess will be the boarding CREW not the whole CREW. For the Barricades, in the CASE of a defense it’s the whole CREW and in ATTACK the boarding amount…

The HANDBOOK ATTACK I’d assume all CREW as it will work for Counter-Attack, and this also for Melee. The AXES however would only be attack on the Boarding crew amount?

If you are in “DEFEND” is this the whole CREW? Does if differ if you’re the ATTACKER?

(FK) CREW are they part of the boarding CREW?

Attack - Melee only

Defend- Melee only

Boarding Cannons- Firepower only (FK)

Muskets- Firepower only (FK)

Grenades - Firepower only (FK)

Counter attack- Melee only

Brace - NONE

Your firepower is a factor of several things. If you are firing cannons it is the number of cannons on your weather deck/top deck vs theirs.  So if you are on a Brig which only has 1 deck and you are boarding a Lynx, you will have a massive cannon advantage.  BUT if you are boarding a Trincomalee which has 12 guns on the weather deck, and is 1 deck higher, you are at a MASSIVE disadvantage.  

In its simplest form it is rock-paper-scissor.   BUT there is more to it than just that.. but not a whole lot more.

• Like 1