Game-Labs Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Ligatorswe

Loadout for different decks (Staggered deck loading)

Staggered Deck Loading  

122 members have voted

1. 1. Is staggered deck loading practical?

• Yes, I think it'd be a useful tactic.
    • No, it would be overpowered. It is not practical.

Well, the only time I could see it being useful is to have my carronades loaded with double, waiting for me to get close, but in that case, I'm probably going to want to wait for the lower decks to load up double anyway.

Does anyone here know how the guns were commanded on a single deck. Were guns divided among junior officers so that a partial deck could be ordered to fire by instructing the officer in charge to fire? I imagine during a broadside duel guns were madly firing and loading as fast as possible, so as to do as much damage as possible. I heard that a broadside was staggered so as not to tear the ship apart from a single recoil of combined guns. That would indicate some descrete yet coordinated command structure.

As Robert above mentions.

1 officer in charge of a deck, 1 midshipman in charge of each side on that deck (If there were enough on board). 1 warrent officer in charge of a division (Normally only present on larger vessels/gundecks

An officer could be ordered or on his own initiative take steps to ensure a cannons aim was true before it fired.

A deck could have the following orders

Broadside fire. All guns are loaded officer orders the whole broadside to fire simultaneously. All guns await on slowest loaders before ready again.

By Division. A division was a number of guns made up of pairs or more cannon adjacent to each other, under a warrent officer.

Fire as you bear. As the target comes into the individual cannons arc of fire it would fire.

*Independant fire. All cannon would reload at their fastest speed and fire if target was in its arc of fire.

* This would add an interesting element to the game as some gun crews were faster than others due to training, experience and fitness levels etc. Throughout a continuous firing action more and more guns would be out of sequence with each other.

I would welcome this, for one particular reason. I have tried running a mixed loadout of regular cannon plus carronade, however the carronade has minimal range with double shot and the wndow of opportunity is nearly impossible to anticipate, plus on ball it has pretty much the same range and trajectory as a regular cannon with double shot. Therefore loading my top deck carronades with regular ball whilst using double shots on the lower decks would be a very welcome option for me.

I agree that the main battery should not be loaded different. Like Victory deck1: grape, 2: shot, 3: double etc. You get my intention.

But different ammunition on the upper decks can be helpful. Even more when damage model 4.0 gets integrated.

Investigating ships like the Bellona/ Victory:

All the big guns should be loaded with the same ammo type. But the upper deck guns should be able to load grape to sweep the enemy's men from the decks.

• Like 2

Two scenarios I can think of where I would not like being forced to use same type of shot:

2 deck ship taken as example:

**Top deck is almost done loading X shot, but I want to switch to Y shot.

→If I switch to Y shot now, both decks will be forced to change, and I will lose the loading time used on the top deck for X.

→If I wait for the top deck to load before I switch the gun deck to Y, I will lose loading time on that (it will load X, forcedly until the switch)

**Firing X, last broadside left only enough to fill one deck:

→Game will automatically distribute between the 2 decks? This is inefficient use of an entire broadside.

Actually, if different shots are allowed between broadsides this still could be a problem.

I voted for it. I found in PotBS that explosive shot was more effective than mixed bronze/grape for disabling crew and damaging ship.. but, I think it would be a potentially powerful tool in this game.

But you have to be able to fire your different load-outs independently, so you can aim your upper and bottom decks accordingly. For example: firing your upper deck high with chain to take out sails and then firing your lower ball decks low to damage hull. It would be difficult or impossible to do this if you have to fire the entire broadside at once -- at least the first time, then you would have to time your shots as your decks reloaded which is difficult with ranging shots mixed in.

Having to load the whole side means that using cannonades with a main battery is pointless. To use double for the main desk means loading double in the cannonades as well... this means that i do more damage having normal cannons and using double.

Id like to be able to use grape or round in the cannonades.

I agree loadouts should be able to be mixed, since (AFAIK) many two plus deck ships had a mixed battery of cannon and carronades; cannons lower, carronades on upper decks.  If we have to have a universal loadout (only ball, only double, only chain...) then the historical mixed battery as we know it is useless, as pointed out above, the ranges are simply incompatible.

Yes, it will make things more complex for players to manage, but what it will also hopefully do is force players NOT to fire complete broadsides all the time.  They will reserve the carronades for anticipated times when they can get in-close, which could be in the next 5 min, so no use in killing fish now, right...

• Like 1

i agree with this idea and in this game there is a probleme with grape and sails shoot because they dont make enought damage at all how demast a ship when you shop make only 5% sails damage.  it just not possible for a fregate to fight a bigger ship and what about boarding  grape make approximatly the same dammage as ball so again same problemes.

this is all about use of fregates against bigger ship because now i dont see haw to win a fight in a fregate against a 1 2 3 rates.  if the game stay like that no point to play lighter ship.

because a good game it when bigger not mean best one !

sorry for my poor english but i do my best to help 

i play 6 years potbs so i know this kind of mechanics

This needs looking at now, with the introduction of boarding becoming more realistic with crew crowding a ships upper decks there was more reason for the upper decks of ships to load grape while lower decks continued to hammer ball.

• Like 2

On a similar note, it would be nice to have an option to choose the next cannon loadout without automatically reloading the cannons.  That way, especially if you fire decks at different times, you don't lose time reloading a partially loaded deck after firing the last shots.

• Like 2

If it is historical I am all for it. If historical I still doubt it would be common to have decks load differently.

It would be near universal.

Carronades were single shotted only (by regulation, if not quite universally in practice). They simply lack performance to cripple it with double the throw weight, and have a recoil fiercer than guns of the same bore ~ which would be made fiercer again with double shot. The likelyhood of losing pieces when fired double was significant, and there would be little advantage to it.

Guns have excess velocity for their typical targets at close range (with a few exceptions), so can usefully moderate velocity using double shot within musket shot. Double shot does less penetration, but potentially causes more splintering at thinner targets. It is far less accurate though, and firing two balls doesn't give two hits most of the time.

An alternative to double ball was ball and grape or ball and cannister... and I presume that ball and chainshot was also possible. It should be noted of course that while there was ample ball in a typical loadout, there was a limited supply of chain, cannister and grape.