Game-Labs Forum

Loadout for different decks (Staggered deck loading)

Staggered Deck Loading  

122 members have voted

1. 1. Is staggered deck loading practical?

• Yes, I think it'd be a useful tactic.
    • No, it would be overpowered. It is not practical.

I would like to have the possibility to have different loadouts on different decks, if possible, or at least different loadouts on top deck than lower decks.

In the old days the top deck was perhaps loaded with grapes or chained balls, while the rest of the decks used regular balls. It would be interesting to do the same in the game.

• Like 3

Knowing from potbs people will play to destroy

Having mixed decks reduce efficiency

Others will just force you to be efficient

You will eventually use one type of shot on the side

There was a wonderful time when top deck grape and bottom deck bronze was lurvly.

This is precisely why I constantly recommend making damage types co-dependent.

My ideal game is like this:

It's nigh impossible to sink a ship (with roundshot), unless you degrade crew with grape. Otherwise the hundreds of men will pump and pump forever.

It is impossible to rout a crew with grapeshot alone. You need to shatter bulwarks and guns with roundshot too.

It is hard to destroy a lower mast without destroying the chainplates and channels (hitting the mid hull with roundshot).

• Like 4

This is precisely why I constantly recommend making damage types co-dependent.

My ideal game is like this:

It's nigh impossible to sink a ship (with roundshot), unless you degrade crew with grape. Otherwise the hundreds of men will pump and pump forever.

It is impossible to rout a crew with grapeshot alone. You need to shatter bulwarks and guns with roundshot too.

It is hard to destroy a lower mast without destroying the chainplates and channels (hitting the mid hull with roundshot).

The problem is round shot kills and wounds more people below deck than grapeshot does.

• Like 1

I'm surprised that this hasn't been implented yet. It was very valid and added variety to tactics and approach in 1v1's and smaller group fights in potbs, specially for pirates since their goal was not to destroy ships but to capture them (why destroy your prize?). For example first broadside was mixed with grape on upper deck and bronze on lower to force enemy to deal with the crippled crew/maneuverability while already at the same time lowering his hull armor. The combinations were many as to bypass the simple hull destruction,first you had to kill the maneuverability of the victim's ship with grape/chain shot to get on his stern at which point the battle was already decided if he let you do this.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I am not sure if this has been asked, mentioned, talked about, etc. etc. before. The search on this site doesn't like me :(.. Anyway, I was curious about separate deck loading. For example, deck one loads chain, while deck 2 loads cannonballs. That way one could lock their lower decks, fire their chain at sails, then fire their cannonballs at the hull. Is this practical? Or would it be overpowered? Are there any cases in history where this kind of tactic was actually used? I have to imagine it was. While it presents an additional advantage I can see how it could also be considered overpowered, especially for the first and second rates. What are your thoughts on this?

• Like 2

Nope, On this one I have to disagree.    Chain or grape upper, Ball or double-shot lower. You need to out manouvre your opponent, hence chain, you need to cripple his ability to repair his vessel, hence grape to cripple his crew and ball to create damage that will take him out of the fight.

I would be very prepared to have the option to micro manage my gun decks individually, I already do this by 'X' out broadsides in order not to waste whole decks against targets that don't warrent all of my broadside weight.

So from my viewpoint, allow the option and let those who wish to use varied shot do so...

• Like 1

I know. My point is, Iam pretty sure bronze shots was not commonly used.

(stone was used earlier, but not during the 1700-1800 period)

I understand and concurr with what you are saying, but I think perhaps you are thinking too literal. We are also headed off topic a tad.

Flips comment above that grape in upper deck and bronze in lower deck, was particular to the potbs game. For this game it would read grape upper deck, ball lower deck.

Wait a minute. Isn't this my thread? I know for SURE that poll is the one I created. Unless somehow me and Ligator asked the SAME question with the SAME options to choose from. Mods may have taken my poll and associated it with this thread instead. Lol meh, as long as the topic has been suggested or brought up I'm happy, and he's a fellow fleet member :P.. I obviously am all for staggered deck loading, I think it'd be very useful to have.

I don't think we'll see it according to previous developer comments. If others wanted to use it that's up to them but I don't think it would be very practical myself. I also don't think it would be overpowered as you would have different firing ranges for each type of shot making in impossible to accurately fire a full broadside unless you are very close. Everything would have to be fired a deck at a time.

• Like 1