Archaos    404
50 minutes ago, Wallentinus said:

- chaser is a serious drawback but if u tag in good position u can handle

+ bottle is welcome can take up the wreck loot anywhere and sell nearest port

+ most player careless when saw a single LGV

attack magnet is good :) so good

captured Constitution and the fate of the revernge fleet

RL_vs_spain_2017_0712_2.png

But I would hardly call that solo pirating.

Wallentinus    13

Its just an example against the target magnet (LGV is that) contra argument. I see as pro one.

Nobody cares about LGV if noticed on OW. Loner PvE warship usually tries to run away from a Surprise but not from an LGV. So u can get your fight.

koltes    1,982
On 7/14/2017 at 8:06 PM, Wallentinus said:

The best ship for Solo Hunting is: LGV

• With smuggler flag on you can dock any port
    • revenge fleet pointless if u are able to dock their port
    • can take pause anywhere
    • can repair cheap
    • can sell the loot
  • 3 knowledge already open
  • Can be fast as the surprise
  • Better turning
  • Better sailing profile
  • 1900 cargo means the repairs wont make you slower
  • Fewer guns but u have crew for Marines
  • Can buy almost anywhere a new ship

You hit the right button there :) This is an interesting idea I have been paying with for some time.
There are few issues with LGV that I need to test. Specifically the survivability with 2 stern cannons.

Keep in mind its not mean to be a fighting ship, so if it will be used as such left and right it will be nerfed.
Until then its indeed a fearsome opponent. I had a fight ones against a guy in LGV who knew what he was doing. I did win but barely. It was a very hard fight.

If I go alone to pick up some important loot I take LGVs in fleet and sail LGV too. I make sure that my cargo is one peace that can be destroyed in one go, thus making my ship capable to fight

On 7/14/2017 at 10:20 PM, Red Jack Walker said:

Thank you Koltes :)!!! A great and useful guide!!! Absolutely love it!!:wub::wub::wub:

You are welcome Sir. Thank you for your kind words!

Edited by koltes

Hodo    2,248
5 hours ago, Wallentinus said:

The best ship for Solo Hunting is: LGV

• With smuggler flag on you can dock any port
    • revenge fleet pointless if u are able to dock their port
    • can take pause anywhere
    • can repair cheap
    • can sell the loot
  • 3 knowledge already open
  • Can be fast as the surprise
  • Better turning
  • Better sailing profile
  • 1900 cargo means the repairs wont make you slower
  • Fewer guns but u have crew for Marines
  • Can buy almost anywhere a new ship

I have an LGV hunter, it is a tricky ship to master in that task.  You have to be just as selective on your hunting routes as a Privateer or a Lynx.   But the same token a well built trader snow can do the same job, possibly better due to its chasers and heavier weatherdeck carronade mounts.    While it is slower, than the LGV, and has less crew it has a better turn rate and better overall guns.  BUT it has VERY thin masts. 

It takes some practice to get good with the combat trade ship.   But there are a lot of advantages.

Flinch    58

I tried to attack an LGV solo in my Snow. It beat the shit out of me for the most part. I can really see the merits of a good LGV bait ship..no knowledge slot grind. Your a magnet. Good enough guns.

Hodo    2,248
4 hours ago, Flinch said:

I tried to attack an LGV solo in my Snow. It beat the shit out of me for the most part. I can really see the merits of a good LGV bait ship..no knowledge slot grind. Your a magnet. Good enough guns.

Was it a player LGV?  Because I have never had a problem with an AI LGV in my Snow.  

Flinch    58
14 minutes ago, Hodo said:

Was it a player LGV?  Because I have never had a problem with an AI LGV in my Snow.  

Player. 

Hodo    2,248
1 hour ago, Flinch said:

Player. 

Then yeah I could see a good captain giving you a real run for your money.   I have had an armed trader brig make me break off from an attack.  

koltes    1,982
7 hours ago, Flinch said:

If they are carrying cargo, they are harmless. Too slow to be a formidable foe. If they are empty and giving you hell just disengage. There is no point fighting it and potentially losing lots of repairs (that should last for the entire hunt) or even losing the ship.

koltes    1,982
On 7/11/2017 at 1:47 AM, rediii said:

True, but that's not what I mean. :) 

What I wanted to try is to build a Renommee which can theoretically go 18kn or so. Ofc it's hardcapped to 15kn so I would put many Jib sail bonuses on the ship so it can still go 15kn downwind, even with negative mainsailforce multipliers, but it would still be insane fast on every other course. TBH I only did a little test but noticed a insane drop when sailing 135 so my theory was that everything is working with the hardcapped 15kn and not with the theoretical 18kn (acceleration, other sailingdirections etc.)

Apology for the late reply.
We actually had the same discussion going with one of my clan mates and ran few exercises. Here some info for your consideration.
Lets talk about 90° (beam reach), 75° and 60° into the wind and see how much above 15kn the Reno needs to be to match 15kn Surprise on the same POS.

PIC1. Surprise POS profile:
@90° - no penalty (15kn - 0%) = 15kn
@75° - 12% penalty (15kn - 12%) = 13.2kn
@60° - 26% penalty (15kn - 26%) = 11.1kn

PIC2. Renommee POS profile:
@90° - 14% (17.5kn - 14%) = 15kn
@75° - 26% penalty (17.85kn - 26%) = 13.2kn
@60° - 40% penalty (18.5kn - 40%) = 11.1kn

SailingProfileSURPRISE.pngSailingProfileRENOMMEE.png

I just hate to think what you need to throw on the Renommee to get 18kn speed and even then she will be barely matching just 15kn Surp. It is possible to run 17kn Surp setup and then to figures will look like this:

PIC1. Surprise POS profile:
@90° - no penalty (17kn - 0%) = 15kn (speed cap)
@75° - 12% penalty (17kn - 12%) = 14.96kn
@60° - 26% penalty (17kn - 26%) = 12.58kn

PIC2. Renommee POS profile:
@90° - 14% (17.5kn - 14%) = 15kn
@75° - 26% penalty (20.2kn - 26%) = 14.96kn
@60° - 40% penalty (20.96kn - 40%) = 12.58kn

I don't think its possible to reach 20kn on Reno even with all possible upgrades. This makes Surp far more superior ship on other POS angles. She can fly with the same speed as Reno, carry more repairs, use more slots for boarding, have more guns etc...
Yes she can be very speed competitive with other ships, but soon as proper taggers on Surps come out to hunt you there will be problems.
I wish my Reno would be back too, but unfortunately she has been dry docked for better times.

Good guide Mr. K. 

Especially the player-interaction part. I try very hard to not get into too much shit slinging in combat, makes the experience overall better even if I lose. I had a 2v1 (not in my favor) recently and I spent it making pleasant small talk while fighting to the bitter end. Also made fun of myself when I screwed up a repair.  Ending the fight with "Good fight, was fun" keeps the sting of losing the ship down and keeps me motivated to re-equip and go back out. 

Edited by Rhodry Heidenrich

koltes    1,982
3 hours ago, Rhodry Heidenrich said:

Good guide Mr. K. 

Especially the player-interaction part. I try very hard to not get into too much shit slinging in combat, makes the experience overall better even if I lose. I had a 2v1 (not in my favor) recently and I spent it making pleasant small talk while fighting to the bitter end. Also made fun of myself when I screwed up a repair.  Ending the fight with "Good fight, was fun" keeps the sting of losing the ship down and keeps me motivated to re-equip and go back out. 

Awesome man! This is great! Your game will also be 100% more pleasurable too

koltes    1,982

Thanks guys. The update will follow soon as we have set mechanics in place. Something more solid that doesn't change with every patch. Some mechanics described in the guide are no longer applicable, but as a solo hunter this should still set you in the right direction.

1 hour ago, koltes said:

Thanks guys. The update will follow soon as we have set mechanics in place. Something more solid that doesn't change with every patch. Some mechanics described in the guide are no longer applicable, but as a solo hunter this should still set you in the right direction.

@koltes 

This if I may disagree, and is a poor excuse from a lazy pirate for delaying A Practical Guide on how to Kill Koltes…”. Think about it this way, strip out the actual mechanics of your guide and truthfully what do you have left really…?

Still pages and pages and pages of priceless insight. Just last week Pilgrim replied to a mail I sent him on his guide “Captain Collister's Ship Guide...” although dated in parts I still recommend it to the newer player to get a BASIC frame work of his way up the skills tree. It works beyond the Game Mechanic

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=640575000

This is what makes a good guide. I’m not in yours or Pilgrims class of writing NA guides but my [ELITE] Combined Crafting Guide shows how dated they can become. Yet it still holds ideas to building your own solutions to crafting problems.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=821902779

Strategy and Tactics like your guide transgress the “here & now… about to change…” in game mechanic.  So, please stop with the excuses and put Quill to Paper…

Norfolk nChance.

Edited by Norfolk nChance