Game-Labs Forum

What's Your Favorite Battle?

What's your favorite battle to play? Note that I don't mean easiest, I mean the most fun and challenging.

I always play as the CSA. Antietam is one of my favorites, though I've never actually been able to win without getting 90% of my army destroyed. 

Honestly, I think Vicksburg in fine Final Campaign was my favorite minor battle, perhaps my favorite battle overall. Trying to find a way to pierce the indomitable Union fortifications was quite a challenge, and it took a good deal of strategy and careful planning to come out on top. I absolutely loved the challenge!

• Like 1

Shiloh With the 'Army of the Mississippi" is a good map, multi-phase, buildup to the Final Battle. Maps are smaller, n the Battles are intense.

---------

Army of Mississippi (March 1862)

This army, at times known by the names Army of the West or Army of the Mississippi (the latter particularly at the Battle of Shiloh), was one of the most important in the Western Theater, fighting at Shiloh, Corinth, and Perryville. It was organized on March 5, 1862, and portions of the Army of Pensacola were added on March 13. It was consolidated with the Army of Central Kentucky and the Army of Louisiana on March 29. On November 20, 1862, it was renamed the Army of Tennessee.

https://www.geni.com/projects/Army-of-Mississippi-CSA-US-Civil-War/4246

• Like 1

Shiloh is my favourite battle as well. The scale of the battle matches what I want to have to deal with. The separation and then linking together of the different parts of the battle was excellently done. The terrain was exciting and varied considerably in short distances. Lots of room for maneuvering. The pace of the battle was quick which I really liked! I really felt the pressure.

I also really enjoyed Gettysburg for similar reasons.

• Like 1

I think Antietam for both sides is my first. Fredericksburg Confederate my 2nd. Gettysburg Union my 3rd. 

My least favorite battles are the final Union Richmond battle to be brutally honest. Not that it's unplayable, but it's a rinse and repeat thing with constant human waves to overwhelm confederate trenchworks.

For now, Antietam will be my favourite battle, though I haven't played any futher yet.^^ I got the confederates cornerd by multiple flanking manoveurs and then executed a sort of human wave attack...my reserve corps of "Volunteers" (0-Star-brigades) attacked him head on, And gave "Veteran" and "Elite" units the cover to advance on Sunken Road, followed by artillery. NOT ONE of my Volunteer brigades retreated before I ordered them to do so, was impressed. Does a corps commander of Major General rank have such a big impact? As they retreated through my line of Veteran and Elite brigades, these opened up together with the artillery and then charged, mostly in 2 vs 1 fights. THe enemy was overwhelmed fell back and right into my depleted 2nd Corps that had secured the church at the beginning of the battle...

...and what could have been my greatest triumph with the destruction of the enitre confederate army was stopped by a mere two skirm cav units of mine that had captured Sharpsburg and ended the battle. OOOOK, again, this time without capturing Sharpsburg too early, I had still 2,5 hours ingame time left. xD

Edited by Hjalfnar_Feuerwolf

Antietam is the most intense, passionnate, struggle for survival where a small confederate army is a blast to play with the feeling of fighting for survival, it really is superb and the devs have really hit a home run on this one, it' just utterly gripping. To be honest I tend to prefer the battles at the beginning were there is more manouvering. After Stones' River ite becomes a lot more brutal and it's less fun. I suppose this is also a testament to the devs in how they have managed to emulate the more direct and attritional style of fighting later on.

• Like 1

Yeah, this is something a friend of mine said. There is a reason most films about the ACW focus on the timeframe up to the battle of Gettysburg, because after that it became largely a war of attrition. I have to say even with the Union Antietam is pretty awesome. Looking forward to Gettysburg, though! I am more a defense player and love it to see the enemy run well aranged crossfires and dug in Regulars and Voluteers, to strike back with my Veterans and Elites at his flanks when the moment has finally come to crush the depleted opposition. Did I mention I am a big fan of von Manstein? :P

1 hour ago, Hjalfnar_Feuerwolf said:

Yeah, this is something a friend of mine said. There is a reason most films about the ACW focus on the timeframe up to the battle of Gettysburg, because after that it became largely a war of attrition. I have to say even with the Union Antietam is pretty awesome. Looking forward to Gettysburg, though! I am more a defense player and love it to see the enemy run well aranged crossfires and dug in Regulars and Voluteers, to strike back with my Veterans and Elites at his flanks when the moment has finally come to crush the depleted opposition. Did I mention I am a big fan of von Manstein? :P

Eric was the best general of the war, bar none; a true field marshal. 

And I frequently plan my OOB's to create a Kiel und Kessel, seeking a kesselschlacht using Indirect Approaches to dislodge and unhinge the enemy line. ;)

1 hour ago, Hjalfnar_Feuerwolf said:

There was innovation and movement late in the civil war but it may just be beyond this engine to simulate it.  To me the big tactical change that really would get the Union forces moving was the reorganization and equipment of the cavalry when Wilson was the Chief of that part of the army.  

Making them pretty much all into mounted riflemen with Spencer's gave the Union the ability to strike over a wide area with forces that could very much outshoot equal or greater numbers of infantry.  Under Sheridan they unhinged Lee's positions around Richmond.  Under others (and Wilson eventually) they played a large role in the final campaigns in the West for the Army under Thomas.  By the end of the war they were moving offensively as detached cavalry armies and were able to seize entrenched positions when they needed to.

I would love to be able to experiment with having a force of 15-20,000 cavalry with Spencer's in the late game as the Union.  But I am not sure the engine or the maps support what one would want to do with such a force.  And I know damn sure you can't get that many carbines no matter what you do.

6 hours ago, Bigjku said:

I would love to be able to experiment with having a force of 15-20,000 cavalry with Spencer's in the late game as the Union.  But I am not sure the engine or the maps support what one would want to do with such a force.  And I know damn sure you can't get that many carbines no matter what you do.

I've been trying to do this since I got the game. I was trying to find cheat codes so that I could unlock unlimited weapons but I couldn't get them to work.

Also, I enjoyed most of the battles, but Gettysburg and first Bull Run were the two I came back to play in historical mode (I've only finished a Union campaign so far, Confederate just past Shiloh).

You should be able to mod the amount of available weapons or weapons in your armory in your save game file. I'll look it up, not that into modding but I have some experience with HoI3 (did an Operation Valkyrie mod).

Edit: After taking a short look with the basic Windows Editor, it should be rather easy to program a savegame editor for this. Sadly not one of my abilities.

7 hours ago, Hjalfnar_Feuerwolf said:

You should be able to mod the amount of available weapons or weapons in your armory in your save game file. I'll look it up, not that into modding but I have some experience with HoI3 (did an Operation Valkyrie mod).

Edit: After taking a short look with the basic Windows Editor, it should be rather easy to program a savegame editor for this. Sadly not one of my abilities.

With the full release there just needs to be an unlimited resource and manpower option if the player wants it.  Just to let them play around.  There is no reason not to do it really.