Game-Labs Forum

Exceed speed cap, worth it?

Question

Im not sure how it works but if you exceed the speed cap will it improve your speed at suboptimal points of sail? 

5 answers to this question

It only increases your speed at different points of sail.  So you can take a Snow and go 15kn at 90 but then do 15kn at 180, or 135, or anywhere in between.  With the right speed mods thrown on.

11 minutes ago, Hodo said:

It only increases your speed at different points of sail.  So you can take a Snow and go 15kn at 90 but then do 15kn at 180, or 135, or anywhere in between.  With the right speed mods thrown on.

Are we sure about that? Tested?

I assumed that a capped speed meant that "15" was your "1.0" on the point-of-sail speed charts.

That is, a Snow with 20 speed and a snow with 15 speed do the exact same speed on a 45 because they are both rounded down to 15 before the point of sail penalty is applied.

3 minutes ago, Slamz said:

Are we sure about that? Tested?

I assumed that a capped speed meant that "15" was your "1.0" on the point-of-sail speed charts.

That is, a Snow with 20 speed and a snow with 15 speed do the exact same speed on a 45 because they are both rounded down to 15 before the point of sail penalty is applied.

This is exactly what I'm trying to figure out :P.

15 is the hardcap, no matter what u put on. so a 15.10 speed ship, and a 17.00 speed ship (both capped at 15knts in ports) will sail at the exactly same way.

BUT on the over-capped ship u can put more stuff in hold before lose speed ;)

I havent fulled tested it.  And to be honest I dont have the time.  But with my Lynx which is baseline 13.77 before build and mods.  After my mods should be closer to 16kn.  And my Lynx will do over 11kn closer to 12kn, at 135.   And 10kn at 180.