Jump to content
Game-Labs Forum
Sign in to follow this  
BlackDragon

Boarding Shouldnt Stop Sinking

Recommended Posts

BlackDragon    9

In a rather frustrating sequence of events while LGV hunting, I watched water wash over the deck of a sinking LGV which was my cue to turn in and prep to loot lest it sink so fast that I not be able to get anything out of my efforts.  It's pretty routine by now but this time was different.  The second I touched him the AI instantly boarded and wiped me clean as I attempted to disengage.  And of course the second the boarding was up the LGV sank.  Grapples shouldnt keep a ship afloat, that's a super frustrating mechanic to have especially when the AI can spring boarding actions on you like that. 

 

RIP

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Archaos    417

You should have sufficient time to loot after you get the kill message as long as you position yourself correctly in advance. Once they are sinking I tend to follow them somewhere on their quarter depending on the ship, so I stay out of angle for their broadsides or stern guns, ready to go alongside when I get the kill message. (it is infuriating that that the NPC's can still load a fire full broadsides when they have reduced crew and are sinking).

I guess from a realistic point of view, if your ship is sinking then it is encouragement to board another vessel that comes alongside, and once they are onboard the boarding action will continue till one side wins, no matter the state of the sinking ship.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quineloe    1,135

It's a bit weird only three crew members at a time can change stations, but the entire crew of a ship can hop from their sinking ship onto another one in an instant-

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Archaos    417
3 minutes ago, Quineloe said:

It's a bit weird only three crew members at a time can change stations, but the entire crew of a ship can hop from their sinking ship onto another one in an instant-

A sinking ship is an incentive to move faster :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
koltes    1,982
On 7/7/2017 at 6:28 PM, BlackDragon said:

In a rather frustrating sequence of events while LGV hunting, I watched water wash over the deck of a sinking LGV which was my cue to turn in and prep to loot lest it sink so fast that I not be able to get anything out of my efforts.  It's pretty routine by now but this time was different.  The second I touched him the AI instantly boarded and wiped me clean as I attempted to disengage.  And of course the second the boarding was up the LGV sank.  Grapples shouldnt keep a ship afloat, that's a super frustrating mechanic to have especially when the AI can spring boarding actions on you like that. 

 

RIP

Answering your topic subject directly "boarding shouldn't stop sinking" - yes it should.

This was a valid tactic to board, tie your ship to the enemy's and save it from sinking (enemy's ship would hold it).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
The Red Duke    6,298

Actually both ship's crews would stop fighting and try to save as many lives as they could ( as much as the fighting goes, usually small engagements ).

But you present a proper point. I agree that it is working as it should.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
CaptVonGunn    322
On 7/24/2017 at 3:06 PM, koltes said:

Answering your topic subject directly "boarding shouldn't stop sinking" - yes it should.

This was a valid tactic to board, tie your ship to the enemy's and save it from sinking (enemy's ship would hold it).

Only if the enemy ship is close to the size of the sinking one or bigger.... Loaded OGV vs a Privateer.. that LGV is taking the little guy with it..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Peter Goldman    1,273

Once crew is aboard and boarding... but when enemy ship sinks, it should lose x crew and being unable to use such commands as "Fire Deck Guns", "Musket Volley", "Fire Grenades", as all of them were used from your own ship.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Braste    0

Every single action except for Attack is used from your own ship, so they have to be stuck in Attack mode, after the ship sunk.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quineloe    1,135
On 7/28/2017 at 10:44 AM, Peter Goldman said:

Once crew is aboard and boarding... but when enemy ship sinks, it should lose x crew and being unable to use such commands as "Fire Deck Guns", "Musket Volley", "Fire Grenades", as all of them were used from your own ship.

So you can basically just fight off a boarding from a sinking ship by holding defend forever?

I mean that does sound like a good idea.  Unless the sinking ship has considerably more crew, it shouldn't be able to take over another ship.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×