Game-Labs Forum

kovah    36
2 hours ago, Tiedemann said:

It was necessary because of alt exploits. They got xp and gold just for doing damage to each other. Now they must sink their alts ships to get something. That is very expensive so it will limit/remove their profit at least.

Gold is easy to get and XP gained via this method is only numbers not real experience.  Anyone who used this method wasn't actually learning how to sail and fight better.  It's like noobs that buy a fully decked out account in another game and then get roflstomped cause they have no real experience.  I encourage all of my opponents to plz level their chars via their ALTs so that when I encounter them in game taking/sinking their ship is that much easier.  =)

It's not ALT "abuse" it's just stupidity by folks with more RL money than you.  Good for them!

Vllad    482
4 hours ago, Quineloe said:

There is absolutely no reason to fight a PVP battle now that you can't win.

Then you aren't playing this game with any strategy beyond what is in your face. I have fought battles and lost but also sunk ships in the process. Especially someone my nation is at war with. Attrition does matter in this game especially in the RvR aspects.

I may fight a battle I know that is lost because I know their another battle just waiting outside for them. The more repairs I get them to burn the greater chance to succeed 30 mins from now.

I have also won fights that looked hopeless because people made mistakes and what looked like a loss turned into a victory.

At the very least make it as costly for someone to kill you as possible. If you actually believe what you say then you are beaten before you even leave port.  

surfimp    692
1 hour ago, kovah said:

Gold is easy to get and XP gained via this method is only numbers not real experience.  Anyone who used this method wasn't actually learning how to sail and fight better.  It's like noobs that buy a fully decked out account in another game and then get roflstomped cause they have no real experience.  I encourage all of my opponents to plz level their chars via their ALTs so that when I encounter them in game taking/sinking their ship is that much easier.  =)

It's not ALT "abuse" it's just stupidity by folks with more RL money than you.  Good for them!

And in fairness, people who just grind NPC fleets to level up may be not much better at PVP, either. PVP is so different than playing vs AI, the only way to get good at it, is to do it.

With that said, having a "gold faucet" turned off does help keep inflation for everything else somewhat more under control. We're a month plus post wipe and there are lots of 1st rates in the world, but the low level ships are now much more affordable than in the past. In fact, as more and more crafters get up to speed, there is good price competition at the low end, making decent ships stay pretty affordable. I actually think that side of things is working reasonably well, though I get that it takes a few hours for new players to figure out how to acquire a steady income.

Quineloe    1,135
1 hour ago, Vllad said:

Then you aren't playing this game with any strategy beyond what is in your face. I have fought battles and lost but also sunk ships in the process. Especially someone my nation is at war with. Attrition does matter in this game especially in the RvR aspects.

I may fight a battle I know that is lost because I know their another battle just waiting outside for them. The more repairs I get them to burn the greater chance to succeed 30 mins from now.

I have also won fights that looked hopeless because people made mistakes and what looked like a loss turned into a victory.

At the very least make it as costly for someone to kill you as possible. If you actually believe what you say then you are beaten before you even leave port.  

I'm speaking from experience. Pretty much everyone we attack outright surrenders as soon as they're at 80% sails. I dont think you posting this will change that.

JG14_Cuzn    169

Simply put Rum is way overmodelled. 

We literally had a first rate in battle... took his crew down to 300 or so 3 times.... and he was able to use the surgeon 3 times and get at least 300crew back each time during the battle.

doesn't make much sense. 

Out of the 3 'repair' modes, 

Rum should only be able to be used one time.  

Vllad    482
2 hours ago, JG14_Cuzn said:

Out of the 3 'repair' modes, 

Rum should only be able to be used one time.  

Why?

JG14_Cuzn    169
2 hours ago, Vllad said:

Why?

Because it is supposed to simulate a surgeon in a fighting ship patching up wounded sailors and allowing them to retake their posts and continue fighting.  

There should be a finite # of crewmen replaced  

This cannot and should not be a multi-use repair.

with the current system it's as if there are spare crewmen available in the hold.  

Edited by JG14_Cuzn

Vllad    482
31 minutes ago, JG14_Cuzn said:

Because it is supposed to simulate a surgeon in a fighting ship patching up wounded sailors and allowing them to retake their posts and continue fighting.  

Why would you think it is supposed to simulate an on board surgeon?

I understand it is called surgeon, I get what you are saying from a very superficial level but beyond the superficial this isn't a simulation. If NA were actually simulating having an on-board surgeon we would have scurvy, infection, peg legs and all sorts of other things that reduces crew on the open sea. If this were a simulation you should be slowing losing crew the longer you are at sea.

Battle repairs including Rum aren't there to simulate, they are there to balance the game based on the damage types and levels extracted in their game engine. They are there to add variance in ship to ship fights to improve PVP and most importantly to provide survivability in a 1 dura environment.

All of the people above in this thread complaining about repairs being too strong are in other threads complaining about 1 dura ships, too much of a grind, revenge fleets, too much ganking. Having stronger repairs helps normalize those other issues and now you want them reduced? 

This isn't directed at JG14 but if I were the developers reading your post I would start to think I created a game specifically for schizophrenics.

Macjimm    477
2 hours ago, Vllad said:

Battle repairs including Rum aren't there to simulate, they are there to balance the game based on the damage types and levels extracted in their game engine. They are there to add variance in ship to ship fights to improve PVP and most importantly to provide survivability in a 1 dura environment.

This seems to be close to the mark.  The game mechanics are not for simulation or realism they are an effort to force PvP combat, and balance the competitive game play.  

Edited by Macjimm
Punctuation:.

Captain Lust    482

They use black magic and mermaid milk to bring the dead back to life... Seriously tho, this new repair system is garbage... you should have 1 limited repair for each (sail/hull/crew) per battle and not masts that get glued back together and up more than 3 times per battle... with all these comments on historical accuracy and realism, something like this is pretty retarded, don't you think? Not only is it garbage, it encourages ganking even more ( big surprise i know...) since when you try to get a somewhat fair 1v1 they run most of the time and with endless rig repairs it's no problem either... so better bring some buddies to nail the coward down... profit?!?

JG14_Cuzn    169

I'm all stimulating PVP.  it's ALL I do.

But you must admit when you get a Santi don to 300 crew 3 times and the guy revives 1200-1500 crew to replace them it get a bit annoying.

Prater    5,325

Kills doesnt equal kills.  Where are the wounded?  Where are the cowering?  Where are the shell shocked who gradually either return to combat or cower?   Rum raises moral.  In game, rum restores fighting effectiveness of the ship.  The surgeon is patching up the wounded, those who were shocked/dazed because of the forces hitting around them get up and return to battle, and those cowering stop cowering and return to the fight.  As already stated in the thread, our casualty rate is way too high.  But I'd agree only a certain percentage of Killed should be able to return to battle.

Edited by Prater

Vllad    482
2 hours ago, JG14_Cuzn said:

I'm all stimulating PVP.  it's ALL I do.

But you must admit when you get a Santi don to 300 crew 3 times and the guy revives 1200-1500 crew to replace them it get a bit annoying.

Well that is rather extreme but if the guy carried a boat load of rum with him I would say that is no different than showing up with marines. He was prepared. 

However next time he may just sink to the bottom with all the rum. 

CaptVonGunn    322
1 hour ago, Vllad said:

Well that is rather extreme but if the guy carried a boat load of rum with him I would say that is no different than showing up with marines. He was prepared. 

However next time he may just sink to the bottom with all the rum. 

That isn't prepared.. that is Black Magic.....

No Repairs should be able to fully repair you in Battle... YOu should NEVER be able to get back more then 50-60 % of your losses...  That also means say you take 50% damage.. you repair aand get 50% of tat back.. your now at 75%.. you then take another 50%..KNocking you down to about 37.5% total. You do another repair you only get back 18.5 % back so now your at 55% .  Same should work for Sails and Crew... We need more sim and less WOW

JG14_Cuzn    169
2 hours ago, CaptVonGunn said:

No Repairs should be able to fully repair you in Battle... YOu should NEVER be able to get back more then 50-60 % of your losses...  That also means say you take 50% damage.. you repair aand get 50% of tat back.. your now at 75%.. you then take another 50%..KNocking you down to about 37.5% total. You do another repair you only get back 18.5 % back so now your at 55% .  Same should work for Sails and Crew... We need more sim and less WOW

Well said. 

Vllad    482
13 hours ago, CaptVonGunn said:

We need more sim and less WOW

We need zero sim and as much Black Magic as is required to balance the game. This should be based on PVE damage as well as PVP damage which is not all equal.

13 hours ago, CaptVonGunn said:

YOu should NEVER be able to get back more then 50-60 % of your losses...  

It most certainly should be an option. If you are banging away on my hull the first 6 mins of a fight then change over to sails the next 15 mins why shouldn't I get two hull repairs off to get back to 100% hull?

Your view on putting a percentage cap on the repair doesn't take into any consideration that players have full control over what they damage or attack. The game right now is just fine on making players make choices on what they can repair and what they can't. It forces players to decide how they want to attack their foes. Ultimately regardless of what players decide it is impossible to repair everything as long as everyone is shooting as often as they can. I could maybe understand your argument if Rum was on the same timer as Rig and Hull but as it is now I think they have found a really good balance of repair to damage. The best it has ever been.

As for JG's complaint about the Rum, I have never seen that much crew repaired before but I don't see any screen shots from him. No one commenting on this thread has seen a video or any evidence of what actually transpired in the fight. For all we know the grape shooter sucks or they went 20 minutes in-between crew hits.

To start calling for changes based on zero information is foolish.   

CaptVonGunn    322
4 hours ago, Vllad said:

We need zero sim and as much Black Magic as is required to balance the game. This should be based on PVE damage as well as PVP damage which is not all equal.

It most certainly should be an option. If you are banging away on my hull the first 6 mins of a fight then change over to sails the next 15 mins why shouldn't I get two hull repairs off to get back to 100% hull?

Your view on putting a percentage cap on the repair doesn't take into any consideration that players have full control over what they damage or attack. The game right now is just fine on making players make choices on what they can repair and what they can't. It forces players to decide how they want to attack their foes. Ultimately regardless of what players decide it is impossible to repair everything as long as everyone is shooting as often as they can. I could maybe understand your argument if Rum was on the same timer as Rig and Hull but as it is now I think they have found a really good balance of repair to damage. The best it has ever been.

As for JG's complaint about the Rum, I have never seen that much crew repaired before but I don't see any screen shots from him. No one commenting on this thread has seen a video or any evidence of what actually transpired in the fight. For all we know the grape shooter sucks or they went 20 minutes in-between crew hits.

To start calling for changes based on zero information is foolish.   

Why? Because your not a Bloody Ship Yard.. You got a couple dozen guys trying to patch holes from the inside . Not replacing entire sections of hull from the outside with full length timbers...  This all completely ignores Crew Morale and exhaustion... But the repairs are not the worst.. Fully restored crew during battle is just silly in a game claiming to be a Hardcore game

Macjimm    477
10 minutes ago, CaptVonGunn said:

Fully restored crew during battle is just silly in a game claiming to be a Hardcore game

It would be grossly incorrect to confuse NA with a hardcore game.  The complex mechanics have little to nothing to do with combat in the age of sail.  Most of the combat features in game are an effort towards forced PVP and compel players into e-sport type competitions.

There are just too many people who would consider the game "silly" if it was realistic.

Repairs and rum are silly OP.  It's ridiculous to see masts go up in battle and bowsprits magically appear out of thin air, and crews should not be resurrected by some unseen crew of surgeon-priests armed with grog.  Simple plugging of holes and repairing torn sail cloth and snapped rigging is enough. 

Edited by Barbancourt (rownd)

Vllad    482
3 hours ago, CaptVonGunn said:

Why? Because your not a Bloody Ship Yard.. 

Because making changes without facts typically makes things worse not better. 

CaptVonGunn    322
8 hours ago, Macjimm said:

It would be grossly incorrect to confuse NA with a hardcore game.  The complex mechanics have little to nothing to do with combat in the age of sail.  Most of the combat features in game are an effort towards forced PVP and compel players into e-sport type competitions.

There are just too many people who would consider the game "silly" if it was realistic.

Hey I am NOT the one that claimed it was Hardcore that is the devs.. if that is their goal then this is silly... The old 1 of each was a bit to little.. but unlimited is not really working either..

Macjimm    477
1 hour ago, CaptVonGunn said:

Hey I am NOT the one that claimed it was Hardcore that is the devs.. 

I was going to ask where you got that idea from ... then I looked at steam.

Naval Action is a hardcore, realistic, and beautifully detailed naval combat sandbox immersing players into the experience of the most beautiful period of naval history - when sailing ships ruled the seas.

and the website.

NAVAL ACTION IS AN EXCITING, REALISTIC, AND BEAUTIFULLY DETAILED NAVAL COMBAT GAME IMMERSING PLAYERS INTO THE EXPERIENCE OF THE MOST BEAUTIFUL PERIOD OF NAVAL HISTORY - WHEN SAILING SHIPS RULED THE SEAS. 

So you are correct.  The game is described as hardcore and realistic.  Bit I think that these words are a marketing tactic.  

After a couple years following this game it is safe to say that although the graphics are quite realistic and immersive,  the combat game play mechanics are definitely not.  Exciting and beautifully detailed describes the visual appeal.  But this game is not hardcore.  There is far too much magic content to be considered hardcore or realistic.

It is still a very good game.  Or even a great game.   But if it the mechanics were hardcore or realistic it would alienate much of the current population. Perhaps one day they will make a NA single player game with realistic hardcore content.

"She ain't realistic she just looks that way."

JG14_Cuzn    169

for JG's complaint about the Rum, I have never seen that much crew repaired before but I don't see any screen shots from him. No one commenting on this thread has seen a video or any evidence of what actually transpired in the fight. For all we know the grape shooter sucks or they went 20 minutes in-between crew hits.

this happened more than once, and unfortunately I'm strictly a PVP player, not a vloger so I do not have video. 

i sailing mostly smaller ships my only option is stern camping. 

I bet you have yet to encounter a 1st rate in a smaller ship?? 

I also bet once you do you'll change your mind ;)

unless of course you are the 1st rate ;) 

Edited by JG14_Cuzn

rediii    3,062
12 minutes ago, JG14_Cuzn said:

for JG's complaint about the Rum, I have never seen that much crew repaired before but I don't see any screen shots from him. No one commenting on this thread has seen a video or any evidence of what actually transpired in the fight. For all we know the grape shooter sucks or they went 20 minutes in-between crew hits.

this happened more than once, and unfortunately I'm strictly a PVP player, not a vloger so I do not have video. 

i sailing mostly smaller ships my only option is stern camping. 

I bet you have yet to encounter a 1st rate in a smaller ship?? 

I also bet once you do you'll change your mind ;)

unless of course you are the 1st rate ;) 

That just proves that the current use of RUM is correct.

Something is wrong inside the game if a frigate is able to kill a 1st rate. I don't think it would go the same way IRL ;)