Game-Labs Forum

This is mainly due to the rum-effect but goes for rig and hull repairs as well.

I consider it rather implausible the effect rum can have in a battle today. I and a mate of mine were in a battle agains an Indefatigable earlier last night and in the battle we both managed to kill about 420 crew, and I went on to kill another 198 in the boarding action. I get that the surgeon is a dedicated man working his hardest to get the crew patched up and back into battle but there should at least be some who got their heads blown of from the 200 or so balls that were sent into the rear of the ship. I should not be possible to end up killing about twice the number of crew that the ship has from the start of the battle.

The same goes for the rig repairs. One thing that has really bugged me from day one is the ability to magically get a mast back. To set up a new mast on any ship is a rather labor intensive proces and requires if not a dock then a calm sea, a flat shoreline and a tree that is of appropriate lenght and quality. It was NOT something that could be done in the heat of the battle.

Hull repairs. I've had ships that were shot to pieces but thx largely to the huge amount of imaginary planks I brought with me I was able to build an entirely new ship off the keel of the ship I had with me. Please limit the amount of repairs that is possible in battle instance. I don't mind open world repairs but in battle there should be some tactical consideration before popping a repair.

While I mostly agree. Until they fix the crew damage and lack of morale. The rest is what it is.

Masts should only be replaced with a jury rigged spar in battle.  Sails maybe 1/2 total damage replaced. 

I would say RUM is just another name for medkits/doctor personnel/bandages. Do not be too harsh on the devs, who want to introduce some fun parts in the game.

Sails can be replaced quite easily in short time, if spare sails are stored. We once did it on a historical sailboat (about lynx size), with a three man crew and some "tourists" to help in 2 hours.

Masts are different, though.

I also think repairs are too good. You simply should not be able to repair a ship back to full under any circumstances without being in port. I think repairs should scale depending on how much damage a ship has already taken, the more severe the ship is damaged, the better the repairs are, and the  last 20% should be unrepairable (ie you can't ever go back above 80% sail strength). I've noticed that in lots of PVP chases, it goes 100, 95, 90, 85 and then the sails get repaired back to full, especially now with the imo too short 10 minute cooldown. This happens over and over until one side runs out of repairs and the other either gets away or gets caught.

And also repairing masts should be a no go. Make it next to impossible to shoot down the lowest part of the mast, this really ought to be good enough, but if one of the upper section falls, it's gone for the rest of the battle.

Due to the fast repairs and how much they repair, damage has become rather irrelevant, shooting down a mast means nothing, it just goes back up with full HP, and now you need to repeat that feat within five minutes, or else his repair is just ready to repeat the miracle. Same for shooting sails, you wear someone down to 65%, and he repairs back to full. You can't combine sail and mast damage, because different shot is needed, but his repair sails perfectly combines with repair masts.

I liked the old system a lot better when you had 1 chance to repair your rigging / masts in case you messed up (e.g. rammed into a teammate by accident and lost your bowsprit)

In general repairs had a much higher tactical value compared to now - demasting is pointless as Thickness has been boosted and you can set new masts up every 10 minutes

11 hours ago, Liquicity said:

I liked the old system a lot better when you had 1 chance to repair your rigging / masts in case you messed up (e.g. rammed into a teammate by accident and lost your bowsprit)

In general repairs had a much higher tactical value compared to now - demasting is pointless as Thickness has been boosted and you can set new masts up every 10 minutes

This is why in a multi-ship action 1 shoots hull 1 shoots rigging. When they repair Both shoot what they didn't repair for a couple volleys then back to 1 of each... They then will have to decide seriously which to repair next cycle

BTW o don't mind the repair over and over.. It is just to fast... With ALL the repair mods and skills it should be what it is to start now

Rum and Boarding....

So, yesterday got into a fight @koltes

He was looking for rookies in my backyard. Anyway came to boarding and something strange happened that I'd never seen before. I believe I won the first two opening rounds. In @koltesFar column OK (outside Kills) it showed negative numbers -14 and -16. I had no idea what this was...

In my post fight analysis I asked @koltes what it meant. Correctly he assumed @Norfolk nChance hit the Crew repair or RUM prior to the boarding action. His thinking was he took 30 of my CREW in the opening round, but -14 were return back to me . This negative number appearing in his OK column. This due to the RUM repair count. 

If this is correct, Hitting RUM or crew repairs just prior to a boarding would be a good tactic no ? 

sorry for slightly off OP 

5 minutes ago, Norfolk nChance said:

Rum and Boarding....

So, yesterday got into a fight @koltes

He was looking for rookies in my backyard. Anyway came to boarding and something strange happened that I'd never seen before. I believe I won the first two opening rounds. In @koltesFar column OK (outside Kills) it showed negative numbers -14 and -16. I had no idea what this was...

In my post fight analysis I asked @koltes what it meant. Correctly he assumed @Norfolk nChance hit the Crew repair or RUM prior to the boarding action. His thinking was he took 30 of my CREW in the opening round, but -14 were return back to me . This negative number appearing in his OK column. This due to the RUM repair count. 

If this is correct, Hitting RUM or crew repairs just prior to a boarding would be a good tactic no ? 

sorry for slightly off OP 

If that is the case that is messed up...and truly magic

This is how it works at the moment I believe.
Each round is calculated based on crew that you got left. If you hit crew repair it does not stops when boarding starts. It keeps healing crew.
If I too 30 of his crew, but during this round Rum restored 16 of them the total damage caused to him by me will be 30-16=14 crew.
It give you an advantage in the first couple of rounds

I can confirm that if you hit crew repairs just prior to boarding you will keep getting crew back during the boarding phase. Very effective..

1 minute ago, Bearwall said:

I can confirm that if you hit crew repairs just prior to boarding you will keep getting crew back during the boarding phase. Very effective..

You can press it while boarding too

2 hours ago, rediii said:

You can press it while boarding too

You can also repair while boarding. 

I have no problem with the current system. I think putting ships at 1 durability and making the repairs bigger is actually a good combination. When we had more dura's combat was a lot more deadly. When you lost a Port Battle typically you lost almost everything. Granted the PB's mechanics are different but even multi ship OW fighting are less deadly.

Ships survive and get away more than ever and I see no problem with that.

You see complaint after complaint about having to grind so hard to get ships, ganking fleets, single dura's and now people these same people want to reduce repair strength? While I could live with it I think you need to make ships tougher to kill if you are going make everything else harder.

In my opinion the repair balance is actually quite good at this point. The big repairs has mitigated the chaining somewhat, you still have hard choices to make between rig and hull during a PVP fight and it makes the use of repairs for single play option much more viable.

The crew repair is a bit broken/need tweaking. We should not be able to "re-crew" during a boarding. So when we get borded the crew regeneration should stop and it should not be possible to "repair crew" while in boarding.

And the regeneration ratio needs some nerfing. Cut it in half imo. 

One part of the game that could be easily tuned is the time it takes to repair sails. Sail Repair could be slowed down, making it less useful for sudden getaways while also being more taxing on crew.

As it stands, you don't even need to fill the repair jobs on a ship to put up new masts and courses at a truly amazing rate.

If ships don't get sunk, PVP is just a giant hole to throw money in (it still is due to terrible rewards) but that just amplifies it.

1 hour ago, Quineloe said:

If ships don't get sunk, PVP is just a giant hole to throw money in (it still is due to terrible rewards) but that just amplifies it.

I still think you should get some exp and gold for every repair you force your enemy to use, if they repair the hull 3x it is like killing a full ship (without rep) but if they get away in the end you get nothing for it.

The reward for damage system was already the perfect system. The system today is abysmal compared to it. It stifles all kinds of PVP, either it's not happening, and when it's happening people are surrendering in undamaged ships when they realize they don't get away. There is absolutely no reason to fight a PVP battle now that you can't win.

It was necessary because of alt exploits. They got xp and gold just for doing damage to each other. Now they must sink their alts ships to get something. That is very expensive so it will limit/remove their profit at least.

I have to admit I do not like the new repair system. I actually prefere the old one to what we have now. Then it was possible to kill your enemy reasonable fast. And knowing when to use your repairs and to get the max out of them was a skill in it's own.

Now it is seriously difficult to kill each other and I have no understanding for the reduced cool down on repairs. The deciding factor is who has the most repair and fastest ship, it is not based on skill! Speed mods can be sort of skill based because you need to have grinded the slots. But I still think that planing ahead and bringing a lot of repairs is OP! xD 

12 minutes ago, Tiedemann said:

It was necessary because of alt exploits. They got xp and gold just for doing damage to each other. Now they must sink their alts ships to get something. That is very expensive so it will limit/remove their profit at least.

I have to admit I do not like the new repair system. I actually prefere the old one to what we have now. Then it was possible to kill your enemy reasonable fast. And knowing when to use your repairs and to get the max out of them was a skill in it's own.

Now it is seriously difficult to kill each other and I have no understanding for the reduced cool down on repairs. The deciding factor is who has the most repair and fastest ship, it is not based on skill! Speed mods can be sort of skill based because you need to have grinded the slots. But I still think that planing ahead and bringing a lot of repairs is OP! xD 

I think the other way around, it's faster now to kill someone than before wipe because of the different damagemodel. :) 

I like the new repairsystem, maybe up the cooldown a bit to maybe 12-14 minutes.

The recuperative quality of rum at sea has its role but resurrection rum seems a tad OP - afterall with the quantity involved the recipients would be too drunken to be of much use.

Solution:

Only percentage of crew can be revived and with each use the proportion falls dramatically - say 50% effective/25% effective etc 

The principal works with rigging and hull repairs as well - the first uses your stored repair resources most effectively and thereafter it is less and less useful in a given instance. 

In both cases the return to OW restores the effectiveness of your remaining stores - meaning its still useful to have them or to balance them if you need speed.

7 minutes ago, Rouleur said:

The recuperative quality of rum at sea has its role but resurrection rum seems a tad OP - afterall with the quantity involved the recipients would be too drunken to be of much use.

Solution:

Only percentage of crew can be revived and with each use the proportion falls dramatically - say 50% effective/25% effective etc 

The principal works with rigging and hull repairs as well - the first uses your stored repair resources most effectively and thereafter it is less and less useful in a given instance. 

In both cases the return to OW restores the effectiveness of your remaining stores - meaning its still useful to have them or to balance them if you need speed.

Don't forget that crewdamage atm is too OP too. I think RUM is a good way to make big ships actually stronger than before.