Game-Labs Forum
Slamz

Port flipping: too casual / easy / fast?

CaptVonGunn    259

just remembered an idea from last year..  make all PBs a minimum of 3 battles.. 1 each class.. make it really interesting make it 6 battles 2 each class since we are talking regions now not single ports... have 1 of each at time X the other 3 at time y . for the Global Server you could even spread them out across the entire day. the side that wins the most wins the port...

Vllad    408
15 hours ago, CaptVonGunn said:

just remembered an idea from last year..  make all PBs a minimum of 3 battles.. 1 each class.. make it really interesting make it 6 battles 2 each class since we are talking regions now not single ports... have 1 of each at time X the other 3 at time y . for the Global Server you could even spread them out across the entire day. the side that wins the most wins the port...

Interesting.

Flinch    41
On 2017-07-12 at 8:19 PM, CaptVonGunn said:

I think this eliminates the strategic value of shallow water ports. Multiple battles with different objectives and classes does seem interesting to me. Multiple 25vs25 battles at the same time in the same region so that we can handle the overflow of players that don't get to participate.

CaptVonGunn    259
6 hours ago, Flinch said:

I think this eliminates the strategic value of shallow water ports. Multiple battles with different objectives and classes does seem interesting to me. Multiple 25vs25 battles at the same time in the same region so that we can handle the overflow of players that don't get to participate.

Well the current system isn't working. We are seeing a 25 man  SOL Fleet getting dragged into battle by a bunch of frigates(or smaller to slow them down. then due to the completely broken timers for leaving battle and rejoining the fleet gets split up even more by retag after retag...  Then you have the fact that the screeners for  fleet have no chance of getting any of the Conquest Marks.  

How does it eliminate the Value? You have to win 4 of 6 to Take a Region this way and only 3 to hold it(defenders advantage.)Those shallows become very important... anywhere on the Map instead of just the Bahamas

On 7/5/2017 at 5:57 AM, Slamz said:

tl;dr: Is it too easy to flip ports?

Absolutely way too easy, particularly since so many port battles are not effectively contested due to time zones.  It should take about a week to trigger a PB no matter how strong you are, not 2 hours of trashing NPC fleets while your enemy is asleep and unable to respond.  Cap the hostility gain per day at something that requires a week and nerf those damned war supplies. (I'm advocating that it should take more days to do, not that the amount of combat hours should increase a lot)

Edited by Barbancourt (rownd)

Sir Texas Sir    3,271
1 hour ago, Barbancourt (rownd) said:

Absolutely way too easy, particularly since so many port battles are not effectively contested due to time zones.  It should take about a week to trigger a PB no matter how strong you are, not 2 hours of trashing NPC fleets while your enemy is asleep and unable to respond.  Cap the hostility gain per day at something that requires a week and nerf those damned war supplies. (I'm advocating that it should take more days to do, not that the amount of combat hours should increase a lot)

You said it right there the reason they are easy is cause they aren't contested.  Try to flip a region in a prime time zone of a large nation and tell us how easy it is to flip?   

Slamz    1,521
1 hour ago, Sir Texas Sir said:

You said it right there the reason they are easy is cause they aren't contested.  Try to flip a region in a prime time zone of a large nation and tell us how easy it is to flip?   

That just speaks to the overall flaw in the current system: it's extremely inconsistent from port to port and time zone to time zone.

We somehow need a system that is consistent.

I think a multi-day tug-of-war would work, but how exactly we "tug" is a question.

Half-baked idea #23:
You need a group of 12 in a friendly port (or a neutral port?!) to buy a flag which you must take to the target.
Flags are cheap or maybe even free.
Each flag generates 25% contention.
You can only run 1 flag per day and each one must be within 1 hour of the first one (e.g. if you got the first one in at 9pm then flags can only arrive in the 8pm - 10pm time frame each day after that until it flips or goes back to 0).
A full day with no flag results in -25% contention (or maybe there are counter-flags that work the same way: within 1 hour of the first one)
At 100% contention the battle is scheduled.

Edited by Slamz

Skully    711
8 hours ago, Slamz said:

That just speaks to the overall flaw in the current system: it's extremely inconsistent from port to port and time zone to time zone.

We somehow need a system that is consistent.

Consistency you only get in a lobbied game, not a sandbox one. Expect the unexpected and do likewise. Try to find another way to get out of a Ko fight.

ajffighter86    493

DISCLAIMER: I'm not trying to recruit for the EU server.

That said, as a US resident on the EU server, there is some benefit in having a 4 hour window for port battles. I try to participate as much as I can, when the port battles get triggered towards the end of the window or on weekends. Tis a shame the world is not flat. Then the Aussies could play.

Edited by ajffighter86

Skully    711

PvP battles can only occur when same timeslot crews clash.

Flip-flopping of ports is a clear sign of an opposite timeslot clash. At least the current mechanic doesn't bring things to a halt, but you still need a change in the balance to become unstuck.

EU server went for the easy fix. Fight at EU prime time. I still think it might be possible to come up with something more dynamic that divides the map/fronts into timeslots. 

However this will not fix population imbalance. Once we can force @Jeheil to become French, then I reckon enforcing population balance is a realistic option.

Until that time key components are timeslot and clan, not Nation.

CaptVonGunn    259
7 hours ago, Skully said:

Once we can force @Jeheil to become French, then I reckon enforcing population balance is a realistic option.

Until that time key components are timeslot and clan, not Nation.

LOL.. you just want to hear him do a Letter to the King in a Bad French Accent