Game-Labs Forum

Legendary CSA campaign

Col_Kelly

9 minutes ago, The Soldier said:

They look like 24-pounder Howitzers from the effect they have on the enemy as well as the (24) in the name. :)

Well of course they are Soldier...and I would have known that if I had maximized the screen and put on my glasses! I appreciate your friendly reply...;)  Hello Optometry, what time can you schedule me for an eye exam? :rolleyes:

• Like 1

I notice you refit your army before allotting your Career Points. Obviously, Army Management is immediately applied and can be used before enlarging your army.

Can it be assumed that ALL other categories apply to the next battle's results?

I tried to test this, BTW, but it appeared that no appreciable difference was gained if I upped Training, for example, before I began refitting my army. So I assumed it would not take effect until after the next battle.

1 hour ago, LAVA said:

I tried to test this, BTW, but it appeared that no appreciable difference was gained if I upped Training, for example, before I began refitting my army. So I assumed it would not take effect until after the next battle.

Just so you know, Training and Economy reduce costs on a per-unit basis, and uses some hefty rounding - meaning if the bonus you just applied from the Career screen for Training isn't high enough to reduce the cost of a single Veteran by $1, then it won't have any effect at all.

A bit flawed, but that's just how it works.

4 minutes ago, LAVA said:

So are you saying if you want to get the Training bonus, for example, you should do this first before reequipping your troops?

Of course.  No reason not to spend the Career points until later - you get all the bonuses the moment you apply it.

A slaughter indeed, 10k casualties is tough! Its a shame that the timer ends so early at Mansfield, wiping all brigades would be a nice consolation pavement. Looking forward to your Saunders Farm and Laurel Hill (didnt find a good approach to Laurel Hill yet).

I didnt think you would assault the VP straight on. Why not rush to the southeastern woods and circumvent the VP with its massive artillery in the north to attack from cover? Would be have your casualties.

It would work on normal or hard but in legendary every AI unit outclasses you by a wide margin. Going for a hammer an anvil move means a thin stretched line and the unability to make a quick, decisive push anywhere. Then I'd barely have the time to capture the VP and to kill a large amount of Yankees. Yet because of the Overland's campaign difficulty I really need to reduce the Union's numbers, that's why I went for a blunt approach.

So when you said you used sloppy tactics did you mean sloppy tactical choices or sloppy execution of your chosen tactics?

Either way, I was really impressed by the way you managed to corner the union in the open rather than in the woods to do maximum damage in the endgame and how you managed your troops' condition, alternating fighting and resting units. Both are aspects of the game I struggle with.

14 minutes ago, Col_Kelly said:

It would work on normal or hard but in legendary every AI unit outclasses you by a wide margin. Going for a hammer an anvil move means a thin stretched line and the unability to make a quick, decisive push anywhere. Then I'd barely have the time to capture the VP and to kill a large amount of Yankees. Yet because of the Overland's campaign difficulty I really need to reduce the Union's numbers, that's why I went for a blunt approach.

For me it worked well, mb i was lucky.

A thing you do - as it seems with ease - and i am simply unable to replicate is the linedrawing or rather unitmovement in general. I have to try several times before a line even appears and i am used to RTS-Games with a much higher gamespeed that require way more and much more precise micromanagement, yet i really struggle with simply drawing lines in UGCW and cant find out why. Mb i got old and my fingers became clumsy... got any advice besides booking art class?

1 minute ago, Grimthaur said:

For me it worked well, mb i was lucky.

Were you playing on Legendary ? Maybe I'll try that for learning's sake.

@quicksabre

It was definitly a sloppy tactical choice but a deliberate one : strategically speaking it felt like the best option to me : high losses for me but twice more losses for them, and my prime goal was to deplete their army stat.

Great Battle with very nice execution!

Your frontal attack was very well coordinated and your constant movement of artillery in support paid dividends.

In hindsight we can always pick up things which in the heat of the moment we miss, but I believe if you go back to around time 8:50 it looks pretty clear his left flank is fairly open. I think if you had stabilized your line and not continued pressing for the objective and used the 4 brigades you had in the rear in open ground to flank, it may have been much easier to take the objective and inflict lots of casualties at the same time. But like I say, hindsight is 20/20.

Well done!

• Like 1

On 10/20/2017 at 11:51 AM, Col_Kelly said:

Were you playing on Legendary ? Maybe I'll try that for learning's sake.

@quicksabre

It was definitly a sloppy tactical choice but a deliberate one : strategically speaking it felt like the best option to me : high losses for me but twice more losses for them, and my prime goal was to deplete their army stat.

and in the end that is what was accomplished! And now we will see how that play achieves the end for the next battle.  As always would love to see the Army rebuild between battles. Glad to have you back to complete this series CK.

What a slaughter :D. Are you planning to stay at 12 guns or will you raise them to 16?

You mentioned bugged cav, is it a charging AI cav. that you cant target but all your units in the area try to do, getting flanked that way by other ai-units? That happened to me several times now, only "work-arround" i know is hold position if you hear cav charging.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...