Game-Labs Forum

Legendary CSA campaign

Col_Kelly

On 7/13/2017 at 10:56 AM, Col_Kelly said:

If you do something highly unexpected the AI can really be on the backfoot yeah... I try to avoid abusing that as much as I can, sometimes it's just too tempting :)

Gaine's Mill has been uploaded.

CK, I think you may have mentioned this previously but I didn't note it. Could you provide which attributes you give your; infantry, cavalry, and arty at each level when they achieve a boost? Thanks!

Sure

Infantry : Endurance course, Assault Course, Elite

Cavalry : Horseback Riding, Shooting Training, Mounted Infantry

Artillery : Physical training, Shooting training, Long range course

It's always the same for every unit.

• Like 1

On 7/9/2017 at 2:17 AM, Col_Kelly said:

Here is Part 6. In the first seven minutes you can here me pressing the keys as I let my mic on (stupid me :s) but after that it should be fine.

Did I miss the battle for Port Republic somewhere in the series CK?

At times the difference isn't that big but in Legendary they add a 'surprise' algorithm that can occasionaly bump the AI numbers significantly. I also believe the enemy's weaponry and veterancy is higher (in late campaign I frenquently stumble upon 3 stars spam, especially in minor battles)

16 hours ago, drhay53 said:

Out of curiosity, what do you do for skills for your corps commanders? Do you have different 'builds' or do you do the same thing for any corps commander?

For the first two perks it's always training and infantry focus. Then I have two corps commanders with the Defender perk and one with the perk that increases the command radius.

I'm not caught up to this battle yet after numerous campaign restarts with the flurry of patches that came up just before final version release and the next couple of patches. But looking into your crystal ball CK......do you plan to do the Union campaign too??  Keep up the great work!

• Like 1

Amazing tutorial battle vids CK! Now, I'm just come to Cedar Mountain. I notice your brigade size is mostly at 2300. I assume you are able to field 2500 man brigades?

So why not max them out?

Is it to build more brigades or minimize enemy scaling?

I really hope at some time you can do an in depth set on Army Management.

Finally are you spending your reputation points as you are earning them?  And if so, what are your priorities for purchase?  Rifles, Cannons, Generals, Men??? 

Thanks in advance and it's a joy to watch the thoughtfulness towards tactics as a whole.

7 hours ago, civsully1 said:

Amazing tutorial battle vids CK! Now, I'm just come to Cedar Mountain. I notice your brigade size is mostly at 2300. I assume you are able to field 2500 man brigades?

So why not max them out?

Is it to build more brigades or minimize enemy scaling?

I really hope at some time you can do an in depth set on Army Management.

Finally are you spending your reputation points as you are earning them?  And if so, what are your priorities for purchase?  Rifles, Cannons, Generals, Men??? 

Thanks in advance and it's a joy to watch the thoughtfulness towards tactics as a whole.

There's not much use in increasing brigade sizes without having enough equipment. Overall firepower is increased through better weapons and not number of guns pointed at the enemy. You can look at it this way: For ever 100 men you add a brigade you get 1 up to 4 kills inflicted (in plains / 25% cover) in a single volley i.e. 2000 men brigades shooting frontally would inflict around 20-80 kills depending on the quality of rifles. The main purpose of increasing brigades is morale resistance. It is generally more cost efficient to increase the overall quality of equipment than increasing the number of soldiers in a brigade.

• Like 1

Thanks again for all of the great tips and strategies Col. Kelly! I can't wait for you to post a video for Chickamauga, since it feels like a much different battle than those before it. The union is putting out some crazy gear for their brigades and it's hard to counter, and all of that woodland is making it casualty-city.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, HansGruber said:

There's not much use in increasing brigade sizes without having enough equipment. Overall firepower is increased through better weapons and not number of guns pointed at the enemy. You can look at it this way: For ever 100 men you add a brigade you get 1 up to 4 kills inflicted (in plains / 25% cover) in a single volley i.e. 2000 men brigades shooting frontally would inflict around 20-80 kills depending on the quality of rifles. The main purpose of increasing brigades is morale resistance. It is generally more cost efficient to increase the overall quality of equipment than increasing the number of soldiers in a brigade.

That's partly the answer, thanks for chiming in. The other important thing is that it's better to have lots of units to increase maneuverability and tactical options. For every ten brigades I therefore get a 'free' brigade of 2000 men if that makes any sense.

I was away for the week-end but I'm currently working on Chancelorsville which is 75% finished, video should be up around 9. am tomorrow (Paris time)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Meagre Heart said:

Thanks again for all of the great tips and strategies Col. Kelly! I can't wait for you to post a video for Chickamauga, since it feels like a much different battle than those before it. The union is putting out some crazy gear for their brigades and it's hard to counter, and all of that woodland is making it casualty-city.

Ckickamauga is very hard indeed but I really enjoy this battle. Finished it last week hopefully I'll be able to upload it soon enough.

• Like 1

On 8/1/2017 at 10:00 AM, drhay53 said:

Out of curiosity, what do you do for skills for your corps commanders? Do you have different 'builds' or do you do the same thing for any corps commander?

Curious to know the answer to this as well?

And would it be different for level of difficulty?

13 minutes ago, civsully1 said:

Curious to know the answer to this as well?

And would it be different for level of difficulty?

If I recall correctly, he takes Experience -> Infantry -> Defender for two generals, and the third gets the command aura bonus instead. The exp bonus (again, iirc) is useful so that you don't have to spend so much on Veterans to keep your brigades strong since they regain experience a bit quicker. 

On 8/2/2017 at 0:47 AM, Col_Kelly said:

For the first two perks it's always training and infantry focus. Then I have two corps commanders with the Defender perk and one with the perk that increases the command radius.

Here is the post in question.

• Like 1