Game-Labs Forum

Legendary CSA campaign

Col_Kelly

As some of you have noticed I started a Legendary campaign as the Confederacy, the goal being to provide a few tips to our community. If you have any request / advice to give I'll gladly consider them. In all honesty I'm not 100% sure that I'll be able to end it since this mode is very challenging, especially on the latest patch, but it never hurts to try.

Here is part 1

Part 2 :

and part 3. Enjoy, generals !

• Like 3

Hey Col Kelly thanks a lot for doing this series of videos! And the Army Camp tutorial is a great help from an experienced play and tester. Keep up the great work please. And know your efforts are appreciated by many!

Kind regards

• Like 2

wow you are so good, I'm in awe.  

Seems like you know how to micro units really well, they always do exactly as you ask.

Watching that dismounted cav unit at Bull Run get 1k kills for <100 deaths.... I feel like if i had done that it would've been dead in a heart beat.  I Don't understand how it did so well when you weren't watching it most of the time.

Edited by sigsaucy
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, sigsaucy said:

wow you are so good, I'm in awe.  

Seems like you know how to micro units really well, they always do exactly as you ask.

Watching that dismounted cav unit at Bull Run get 1k kills for <100 deaths.... I feel like if i had done that it would've been dead in a heart beat.  I Don't understand how it did so well when you weren't watching it most of the time.

Careful there.  Kelly won't be able to leave the room his head will be too big to fit through the door!   ;)

• Like 4

Bravo, Col. Kelly. Rainy morning where I'm at, so I watched your performance at Shiloh. Excellent strategy and near flawless execution. IMO, that is what separates the good and great players. I just advance in one big line, similar to the history of the battle, and I almost never get to Pittsburgh Landing in time. 

Great job. I will look with anxiety towards your future movements. 

These videos are great! Not gonna lie, I'm going to have to use some of these tactics when I start my next campaign once I finish my BG. I rarely used Calvary  until I saw your bull run fight. Now I use them to flank and harass much better in addition to being scouts and supply raiders. Can't wait to see the next ones.

on ur next video can you try to demonstrate proper use of melee/ranged cavalry?

I've noticed when my ranged cavalry fires a salvo, they run in the opposite direction (particulary annoying when they route a battery then runaway) if they have the attack command.  If you manually move them where you want they reload slower, so I have to baby sit my ranged cav A LOT, keep them on the attack to reload faster and move em back in the right direction when they move too far off course.  I dunno if I'm doing something wrong or if its because my ranged cav is clumped with other ranged cav.

For melee cav I've had them get torn apart going after single artillery, they'll hit the 350 artillery with 750 le mattes in the open and while it routs they chase it into the woods and things go down hill, my cav tires out and what should've been an easy kill is hard.  Also if you hit a single artillery and try to pull out before it gets supporting fire, it takes FOREVER for melee cav to disengage.  Lastly, how do you make sure revolver cavalry use their guns instead of going into melee?  Right clicking seems to end with them getting in melee, only way i've found is to right click past the unit then when the cav fires pull them back manually before they melee.

Also do you know what it takes for a Brigade to shatter?  

Sorry for all the questions but I figure you know what's up.

I don't use melee cav so I'm unable to help you on that one, sorry. Imo you shouldn't have any.

For skirm cavalry the trick is to press space after you get them in range, that way they'll stand still and fire a few volleys before moving back : their reload speed won't be slowed down and they'll be able to deal some good damage. And yes you shouldn't clump them together, be sure to have them separated so that they won't auto-move.

A brigade shatters when it reaches 75/80% casualties.

Hope this helps.

It's interesting to watch you at Shilo.  I have thus far only played Union in campaign and talked to people mostly about how to have success with that battle.  The first thing is to not get split.  The flank marches are too long and can be dealt with with skrimishers or falling back.  But if you get split you are screwed as the Union.

In general I think it's the biggest thing the AI needs to learn is the risk of not concentrating its forces.  That disposition was basically suicidal.

Fighting the CSA at Gaines Mill they never made any attempt to unify their forces and let me sit right in the middle even though I only had one division holding the critical crossing against two corps worth of troops with one on either side.  A simple attack from both sides, or even showing the intent to do so, would drive me out and let them move south in mass.  They never showed any interest in anything other than objective points.

Edited by Bigjku

Impressive Col Kelly!

These last two vids have really help to clarify for me the approaches for; Attack and Army Camp Management. 

I can't say it enough.  You are really spending a lot of time here discussing; tactics, management, and general concepts that highlight what Ultimate General Civil War has to offer the average gamer.  I'm enjoying your videos almost as much as my own game play.  You stand above the rest.  Much appreciated.  What a great game!

• Like 3