Game-Labs Forum

Boarding Requirements - Speed

Digital Wind

Question

I would like clarification on the requirements to start a boarding action.

Obviously you need to be in close proximity, less obviously, you need your boarding prep to be above 50%.  Additionally, it used to be that both ships must be below 3 knots, but I have boarded above that speed.

• What are the speed requirements of both ships?
  • Are there relative speed differences (ex. boarding when two ships are close, parralell, and matching speeds, speed difference = 0)
  • Like 1

3 answers to this question

It hasn't changed but the one thing that messes folks up is when you rub against another ship it gives you false speed reading. This is how AI has pulled folks that thought they where going 5 knts (watched it and the guy wasn't going that fast at all).   Lag also gives you a false reading.  Be warned AI if they have one more crew than you will pull you if they can and they still get all the board mods and marines.  I boarded a 5th rate with my 3rd rate and we both had 65 marines (I have marines 10% for 1st rates) and he would still have higher firepower than me on most moves even though I had 200-300 more crew than he had at the start of the fight.  Marines for a SOL is pretty much useless unless against AI that still get 20% marines other than to help not get killed by them.   For players well we know how that story goes;)

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Sir Texas Sir said:

It hasn't changed but the one thing that messes folks up is when you rub against another ship it gives you false speed reading. This is how AI has pulled folks that thought they where going 5 knts (watched it and the guy wasn't going that fast at all).   Lag also gives you a false reading.  Be warned AI if they have one more crew than you will pull you if they can and they still get all the board mods and marines.  I boarded a 5th rate with my 3rd rate and we both had 65 marines (I have marines 10% for 1st rates) and he would still have higher firepower than me on most moves even though I had 200-300 more crew than he had at the start of the fight.  Marines for a SOL is pretty much useless unless against AI that still get 20% marines other than to help not get killed by them.   For players well we know how that story goes;)

Thanks @Sir Texas Sir.  This was very comprehensive.