Game-Labs Forum
Slamz

Missions Still Ruining PvP

Quineloe    1,135

well there were like 30 PVE servers, 10 of them at a high population and RZ TZ VZ and SZ for PVP, all of them pretty much empty. EQ simply was a PVE game with PVP tacked on top of it. (exactly what the PVE server is for NA) Plus the PVP drama was some of the saddest I've ever seen, people crying about Fansy all day all night...

Edited by Quineloe

Vllad    482
9 minutes ago, Quineloe said:

well there were like 30 PVE servers, 10 of them at a high population and RZ TZ VZ and SZ for PVP, all of them pretty much empty. EQ simply was a PVE game with PVP tacked on top of it. (exactly what the PVE server is for NA) Plus the PVP drama was some of the saddest I've ever seen, people crying about Fansy all day all night...

How does any of your points disqualify it as having good parts to consider for future games?

Quineloe    1,135

For a start, you're comparing a one time effort with a permanent reward to money generation, which needs to be done again and again, as the money disappears. Two entirely different things.

We already have a "striking it big" PVE mechanic in the game, these deadman chests.

Edited by Quineloe

Digital Wind    67

It will be damn near impossible to level a Vic through it's knowledge slots without Missions.  I could solo sink 5 player 1st rates and not even be halfway to unlocking the first slot let alone the other ones.

The situation is similar with every other ship in the game.  If the devs want us to grind ship knowledge slots then we need missions to be able to grind the slots.

Vllad    482
1 hour ago, Quineloe said:

We already have a "striking it big" PVE mechanic in the game, these deadman chests.

Ahh since we have one then I guess that is the only thing we need. 

CaptVonGunn    322
6 hours ago, Slamz said:

For the record, I'm not really against "safe zone missions".

I am against them being the best XP in the game.

I would settle for leaving missions as-is but rewarding OW PvE more. Players should have to choose: safer but not as good or riskier but better.

Once upon a time, missions were meant to just be a backup method of getting XP if the OW PvE was thin (or broken). Today, missions are just what you do for loot and XP and OW PvE is seen as a relative drag you only do when you want contention.

OK this I agree with... Make missions you sail further to worth more. But I am only doing missions now to unlock ship knowledge slots. I often just go hunt whatever I can find

Uilleam    36

So until I can be something other than cannon fodder, what else am I supposed to do other than missions?  Grinding hour after hour after hour trying to learn the ship skills so I can be competitive in PVP is killing the game for me, not the missions killing PVP.

Zapranoth    11

That's all we need is more sailing time to get to missions. We're already sailing to hell and gone doing trade missions. All you want as a pvp'r is to have a more target rich environment where the targets are not fitted for pvp.. i.e. ships fit with carronades for pve, trade ships lightly armored and armed in unfamiliar waters etc.

It's already a massive grind trying to get combat marks and xp from missions. Don't try adding a ton of sailing time to that mess as well.

Zap

ajffighter86    497

Simply make the reward difference between PVP and PVE so huge that it becomes tempting to engage in PVP. So yeah, you can grind your ship knowledge slots to death or go out and PVP a few times and boom - done.

Slamz    1,704
On 7/10/2017 at 6:50 PM, Uilleam said:

So until I can be something other than cannon fodder, what else am I supposed to do other than missions?  Grinding hour after hour after hour trying to learn the ship skills so I can be competitive in PVP is killing the game for me, not the missions killing PVP.

From what I've seen out there, 3 more ship knowledge slots is not going to make a difference in very many fights.

This is just the old MMORPG problem where people think they can't PvP until they have the absolute best of everything.

If you have 4 people running around in custom built Cerbs with 1 knowledge slot, you're already prepared to win the overwhelming majority of things you are likely to run into.

Flinch    58
14 minutes ago, Slamz said:

From what I've seen out there, 3 more ship knowledge slots is not going to make a difference in very many fights.

This is just the old MMORPG problem where people think they can't PvP until they have the absolute best of everything.

If you have 4 people running around in custom built Cerbs with 1 knowledge slot, you're already prepared to win the overwhelming majority of things you are likely to run into.

Yes and no. I think if you have a Snow with 5 knowledge slots you can punch above your weight big time vs just 1-2. There are some phenomenal knowledges out there. Marines, Optimized ballast, etc. Marines alone is basically a have or have not situation where if you have Marines and they don't then they are in serious trouble.

Quineloe    1,135

Having marines on a weaker ship will give you a huge problem if you can't board. Having so fewer sailors in a snow sounds dubious.  Can a snow force a boarding against a Surprise? Will it win with marines? 120 vs 240? I'm pretty sure that's a negative on both questions.

Marines are good, no doubt about that, but it's pretty risky to attack a stronger ship with far more crew and bet everything on your marines.

Slamz    1,704

Yeah I'm not fond of marines. That's really a rage board specialty item which isn't going to work most of the time against good people (or when it does work it's because you had them 3v1 and didn't actually need the marines anyway). In a group brawl where it can be useful to be firing from all sides of your ship, marines cutting your gunnery crew down is a detriment.

Something like improved ballast for straight up +speed is hard to argue with but there again, you can cut that difference by picking a better wind angle or cutting their sails by like 3% more than they cut yours. All of these knowledge slots are basically edge case advantages. Useful but not likely to determine who lives and who dies in the majority of fights. Most fights are won by a margin of more like 50%, not 5%.

Mrdoomed    1,531

The most obvious and easy thing to do would be something like this: have missions but LIKE EVERY SINGLE MMO EVER MADE have the missions get further from the starting spot or in this case port so in order to do higher level missions you risk the chance of pvp.

Its so damn easy and obvious but it will never be done and ive mentioned it several times but it goes on ignored. 

The Red Duke    6,298

It is easy and obvious until the other side of the fence starts becoming agitated. It occurs in every aspect and missions are one of the most touchy of all.

I agree. It is either PvP server with PvE accessible content or it is safe and sound PvE server. 

Mrdoomed    1,531
17 minutes ago, The Red Duke said:

It is easy and obvious until the other side of the fence starts becoming agitated. It occurs in every aspect and missions are one of the most touchy of all.

I agree. It is either PvP server with PvE accessible content or it is safe and sound PvE server. 

Exactly and i think we both agree if you're on the pvp server that pvp should be a constant threat. These devs seem to want safe spaces in pvp and thus we have missions that ruin everything instead of " progressive " missions on pvp servers.

Ravern    39
On 7/4/2017 at 10:06 AM, Rychu Karas said:

Do the PVE players have THEIR OWN dedicated server?. So the other players PVP global or PVP EU are pvp players. I don't force anyone to play on PVP servers

People are getting so hung up on the name of servers, think of them as PvP enabled or disabled.  I don't think this game would work very well if all PvE elements were removed, if all you want is PvP and cant stand anything that isn't another player I suggest you wait for Naval Action Legends

WMvD    0

You missed a lot but then, you are intentionally trolling this thread.

And I love him for it...All you seem to want to do is horsewhip people around to do what you want them to do.

Edited by WMvD

admin    28,086
On 19.07.2017 at 9:18 PM, Mrdoomed said:

The most obvious and easy thing to do would be something like this: have missions but LIKE EVERY SINGLE MMO EVER MADE have the missions get further from the starting spot or in this case port so in order to do higher level missions you risk the chance of pvp.

Its so damn easy and obvious but it will never be done and ive mentioned it several times but it goes on ignored. 

there is always something else coming up as more important.

but missions chains are planned and have to be done

WMvD    0
On ‎19‎-‎7‎-‎2017 at 8:33 PM, Mrdoomed said:

Exactly and i think we both agree if you're on the pvp server that pvp should be a constant threat.

And while beeing constantly under threat of attack, I want to PvE. Can I please play this great game the way I want to play it? If it's not to much to ask for? Please?

Mrdoomed    1,531
29 minutes ago, WMvD said:

And while beeing constantly under threat of attack, I want to PvE. Can I please play this great game the way I want to play it? If it's not to much to ask for? Please?

Yes. They have a pve server just for you. I dont understand the problem. 

AxIslander    75
On 2017-07-04 at 10:22 AM, Slamz said:

Missions: the bane of PvP in this game.

If you want ship XP or loot chances your best bet is still "missions". They are predictable and as safe as anything can be. You can do them right outside of your capital. If you're persistent in getting a mission, dropping it and getting a new one over and over and over you can eventually get them right outside, in your capital protection bubble to make it the least risky XP method in the game.

What we SHOULD want is for people to take chances, go further out and get rewarded for doing so.

I would like to see missions be only available in enemy waters.

Surely we can at least agree that rewarding people for grinding in their capital safe waters is ultimately detrimental to this game. That should be the newbie zone, not the #1 prime location for leveling up your 1st rate.

So, u are tired of sailing arround and gank players. U feel that players should come to you and get ganked? Thats fair, lets try this!

Slamz    1,704
On 7/22/2017 at 5:25 AM, AxIslander said:

So, u are tired of sailing arround and gank players. U feel that players should come to you and get ganked? Thats fair, lets try this!

I think there should be more reasons to get out in the ocean and less reason to grind NPCs outside your capital.

Funny thing is, most of the French on PvP-Global that I used to see grinding 1st rates outside the capital don't seem to play anymore. Sometimes gamers have to be directed elsewhere for their own good. There is tremendous fun to be had in this game but you won't find it grinding 1st rate missions in safe areas.

AxIslander    75
7 minutes ago, Slamz said:

I think there should be more reasons to get out in the ocean and less reason to grind NPCs outside your capital.

Funny thing is, most of the French on PvP-Global that I used to see grinding 1st rates outside the capital don't seem to play anymore. Sometimes gamers have to be directed elsewhere for their own good. There is tremendous fun to be had in this game but you won't find it grinding 1st rate missions in safe areas.

I think, both you and the devs, fail to understand that players do PvP when they feel ready to do that, if u force ppl to do what YOU want them to do usually they will not do it!