Game-Labs Forum
Slamz

Missions Still Ruining PvP

Missions: the bane of PvP in this game.

If you want ship XP or loot chances your best bet is still "missions". They are predictable and as safe as anything can be. You can do them right outside of your capital. If you're persistent in getting a mission, dropping it and getting a new one over and over and over you can eventually get them right outside, in your capital protection bubble to make it the least risky XP method in the game.

What we SHOULD want is for people to take chances, go further out and get rewarded for doing so.

I would like to see missions be only available in enemy waters.

Surely we can at least agree that rewarding people for grinding in their capital safe waters is ultimately detrimental to this game. That should be the newbie zone, not the #1 prime location for leveling up your 1st rate.

Edited by Slamz

Someone suggested that after a certain rank the missions should be in enemy-waters. Sounds fair to me.

Just make that 3 of your slots can be unlocked with PvE xp, and last two only with PvP xp. This will force people to sail looking for PvP and will distinguish PvPers  from PvE mission runners.

Just now, Otto Kohl said:

Just make that 3 of your slots can be unlocked with PvE xp, and last two only with PvP xp. This will force people to sail looking for PvP and will distinguish PvPers  from PvE mission runners.

Would be a hard job then, unlocking the slots on BasicCutter, Pickle or similar.

2 minutes ago, Otto Kohl said:

Who needs a basic cutter and a pickle ?

Ahm, let me think a while ... guess these people are called newbies.

btw. I like the pickle too.

Edited by AlteSocken

Yeah but why you need a cutter with 5 slots ?

BTW cutter cant PvP anyway.

Edited by Otto Kohl

I still need basic cutter and pickles, because I simply can't afford any bigger ship at the moment. BTW I'm Rear Admiral.

I think the pain in the ass is that it is too hard to get ships. My POV from the very beginning of this game was that it be must be "quite" easy to get ships so that people aren't so much afraid of losing them. The harder you make this game, the more suffers PVP from this. I would give "bigger" rewards for PVE (or make resources cheaper) then people would do 1 PVE mission instead of 10 to grind and then they have to time to turn back to PVP.

3 minutes ago, Otto Kohl said:

Yeah but why you need a cutter with 5 slots ?

I don't know, but I can imagine that someone would like to have all slots just because they are there. And before it was fixed, we had this ship-knowlege grind which was a reason to have them all.

5 minutes ago, Otto Kohl said:

BTW cutter cant PvP anyway.

Which would effectivly limit it to three slots with your suggestion.

Around 300 exp left to unlock the 4th slot on my suprise, almost all exp i did via pvp. The worst part of it is a lack of skill books. have only those from pirate bay.

Options for a PvE grinder / carebear:

1. Play (relatively) safe grind missions
  2. Do not play

Options for a PvP-er:

1. Go out into enemy waters to do PvP
  2. Whine on the forum that grinders are not coming to them

Please let me know if I missed some options.

1 hour ago, Otto Kohl said:

I hardly see the reasoning behind this argument. You perfectly know that a dedicated (or distinguished) PVPer will still wipe the floor with a PVE player sailing the same ship with the same upgrades, so "shiny shipped" carebears should not be a problem at all for you, no?

15 minutes ago, Rychu Karas said:

Around 300 exp left to unlock the 4th slot on my suprise, almost all exp i did via pvp. The worst part of it is a lack of skill books. have only those from pirate bay.

You are free to force PVE players into your PVP, so it's not unfair if the game forces you in some PVE (mission or trade) stuff to get . or buy from PVE players - upgrades.

BTW this things happens in almost all PVP MMOs: pure PVP is for MOBAs (and, basically, for that there will be Naval Action legends).

8 minutes ago, victor said:

You are free to force PVE players into your PVP, so it's not unfair if the game forces you in some PVE (mission or trade) stuff to get . or buy from PVE players - upgrades.

BTW this things happens in almost all PVP MMOs: pure PVP is for MOBAs (and, basically, for that there will be Naval Action legends).

Do the PVE players have THEIR OWN dedicated server?. So the other players PVP global or PVP EU are pvp players. I don't force anyone to play on PVP servers

1 hour ago, Otto Kohl said:

The problem with this suggestion is that there is a huge difference between 3 slot ship and 5 slot ship. So people seeking PvP on a 3 slot ship will find it very difficult to win against someone who has 5 slots in a same type of ship battle.

I agree that better loot should come from PvP and that should be the incentive for people to PvP, not forcing them to do something they do not want.

3 minutes ago, Archaos said:

The problem with this suggestion is that there is a huge difference between 3 slot ship and 5 slot ship. So people seeking PvP on a 3 slot ship will find it very difficult to win against someone who has 5 slots in a same type of ship battle.

I agree that better loot should come from PvP and that should be the incentive for people to PvP, not forcing them to do something they do not want.

It's still pretty lightweight compared to how everyone is virtually forced to PvE grind for knowledge slots, upgrades and combat marks.

Haven't even gotted past the 3rd slot on the indefatty yet and already sick of it, let alone trying to get 3 or more slots on any other ship.

Just now, Aegir said:

It's still pretty lightweight compared to how everyone is virtually forced to PvE grind for knowledge slots, upgrades and combat marks.

Haven't even gotted past the 3rd slot on the indefatty yet and already sick of it, let alone trying to get 3 or more slots on any other ship.

So imagine trying to grind that in PvP only. Most would just give up.

Make it so that you gain xp quicker, have greater chance of upgrade drops and combat marks from PvP, then that is more incentive to do it.

19 minutes ago, Archaos said:

Meanwhile I don't give a damn about slots and just enjoy the game without grinding.

I have a dream that someday, you can get shipknowledge with PvP. Until that day, I will sail my ships with a minimum of knowledgeslots. :D 

5 hours ago, Slamz said:

Missions: the bane of PvP in this game.

If you want ship XP or loot chances your best bet is still "missions". They are predictable and as safe as anything can be. You can do them right outside of your capital. If you're persistent in getting a mission, dropping it and getting a new one over and over and over you can eventually get them right outside, in your capital protection bubble to make it the least risky XP method in the game.

What we SHOULD want is for people to take chances, go further out and get rewarded for doing so.

I would like to see missions be only available in enemy waters.

Surely we can at least agree that rewarding people for grinding in their capital safe waters is ultimately detrimental to this game. That should be the newbie zone, not the #1 prime location for leveling up your 1st rate.

Meeeeeeeeeh. I think PvE is not a problem that stops people from doing PvP. Perhaps many people just wouldn't like to do PvP so they do PvE instead. Some people do both! As long as PvP players can hunt the ones doing PvE I don't see any point of changing something at this point. I think there are plenty of fish in the sea to have a PvP fight. So here's your option go to enemy waters and do PvP and meet the grinders in their save spots. Why should it be the other way? Why does it even matter? Take a look from different perspectives.

Edited by HMS Victory

Just give incentives to go away from the capital.

Let big missions spawn in regions close the other nations or just increase the rewards drastically in borderregions. Ike 3 times the gold you normally get. People will go there instead of capital if they want to take the risk and pvp will happen.

2 hours ago, Rychu Karas said:

Do the PVE players have THEIR OWN dedicated server?. So the other players PVP global or PVP EU are pvp players. I don't force anyone to play on PVP servers

It seems that you - as some other players - do not accept that there are not enough "PVP only" players to support the gameplay (even your kind of gameplay which is small scale OS PVP) in such a huge open world.

At least in my faction (Spain - PVP EU), the largest part of the players are dedicated RvR players and a lot of "hybrid" players (that do OS PVP but also trade and missions). Pure missioners, pure crafters/traders and pure OS PVPers are a small minority.

Edited by victor

1 hour ago, rediii said:

Just give incentives to go away from the capital.

Let big missions spawn in regions close the other nations or just increase the rewards drastically in borderregions. Ike 3 times the gold you normally get. People will go there instead of capital if they want to take the risk and pvp will happen.

Yeah, this option makes more sense than destroying PvE in general. The more options players have the better, on this matter, that is.

It's not the PvE missions and it's not the slot-grinding that ruins PvP. The risk compared to the rewards for hunting is too small. The TP from nationport to Free town should be reintroduced, PvP marks should be reintroduced and made convertible to Conquest marks, permits for SoL should be doubled in price to reduce the inflation in SoL that will bring about.

4 minutes ago, Bearwall said:

It's not the PvE missions and it's not the slot-grinding that ruins PvP. The risk compared to the rewards for hunting is too small. The TP from nationport to Free town should be reintroduced, PvP marks should be reintroduced and made convertible to Conquest marks, permits for SoL should be doubled in price to reduce the inflation in SoL that will bring about.

yea let's hello kitty the newbs over all day long to get some nice lineships can't wait to get my nice rewards killing snows. :D 

If pvp marks make a comeback they have to be tweaked so noobs don't get farmed like crazy

14 minutes ago, rediii said:

yea let's hello kitty the newbs over all day long to get some nice lineships can't wait to get my nice rewards killing snows. :D 

If pvp marks make a comeback they have to be tweaked so noobs don't get farmed like crazy

True didn't think about that.. But yeah some protection there should be implemented..

EDIT: The need for conversion to Conquest marks would disappear the second they implement the raiding mechanics..

Edited by Bearwall